PDA

View Full Version : Storing wood

Jim Riseborough
02-19-2017, 9:30 AM
So about 8 years ago I bought a truck full of wood. I had it in my basement, all stickered and then about 2 year ago I moved, so it went into a storage unit, again all stickerd. I can only think that its dry and seasoned now.

Question now is, do I need to sticker it again as i hopefully move it into my forever shop? I was going to just stack it, maybe stickers or some 2x4's every 2-3 feet for stability.

Other question, would you put some termite traps around it? Would that draw them into the wood, or away from the wood? I found a couple boards with some damage, but cant remember if they were that way when it went into storage. I can only think that over the summer, it got pretty hot in the storage unit.

Thanks

https://jrisebo.smugmug.com/Other/Woodworking/n-3jHtc/i-DcS557t/A354338

William Fretwell
02-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Once the wood is stable you don't need to sticker it, however annual humidity changes will still happen. You will need enough air movement so those changes can happen evenly.

Jim Andrew
02-19-2017, 1:07 PM
I never store lumber on a concrete floor without putting some strips under it. The concrete can have moisture in it. You do not need stickers between dry lumber. Stickers are to create an air gap so wet lumber can dry.

Jeff Duncan
02-19-2017, 8:59 PM
Was the lumber dry when you bought it? Kiln dried lumber does not need to be stickered at all, not going to hurt anything, but not going to accomplish anything either. If it was air dried I would have to imagine 8 years would be enough to get it fully dried, but if it were me I'd probably check with a meter just for the heck of it.

good luck,
JeffD

Bernie LeBlanc
02-19-2017, 9:53 PM
I have a barn so I stand my stock up... this allows the lumber to do what it wants to do and I know the natural tendency of each piece.

Robert Engel
02-20-2017, 8:55 AM
Just stack it. However when you start milling it, resticker between millings.

John K Jordan
02-20-2017, 10:16 AM
I never store lumber on a concrete floor without putting some strips under it. The concrete can have moisture in it. ...

You can test for moisture in and coming through concrete by placing a square of plastic sheeting on the concrete, perhaps with a piece of plywood or something on top, and check it for moisture in a few days. If installed properly with a good moisture barrier AND proper site drainage it may stay quite dry, but...

Where concrete has a significant amount of moisture plastic sheeting could be put down first then the spacers, then the dry-stacked lumber. Or use thicker spacer on the floor for more air movement. I like using 4x4s.

JKJ

Jim Riseborough
02-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Thanks, for space I will dry stack. I will also put it on some 4x4s and some 2x4s every once and a while for air movement