PDA

View Full Version : Dining table question(s)

Kevin Smira
02-19-2017, 5:47 AM
So my daughter just bought a new house and wants a dining table. The top is going to be 3/4" thick cherry with breadboard ends, sized 72x45.height is 29 to the top. The base she wants is one from Ana whites website and is constructed of 2x4s and 1x4s. I want to build it all out of cherry. However, the only "local" sawyer to me only carries 5/4 skip planned to 15/16", for a finish of 3/4 or slightly over it. Also, they are only open on Saturdays...So, my question would be how to get the 2x4 dimensions with only the availability mentioned above? I'm guessing laminating 2 pcs of the 5/4 and hope it finishes out to near 1.5"? Not too critical, but thinking it would be overkill/wast to do that. The other option is to drive an hour and a half to get some cherry that is 6/4 or even 8/4? I'm currently in Zürich and will be home next Thursday evening. I use the wood shop on the local base for jointer and planet use, and they have limited hours. If I went to the 8/4 on Friday, I could dimension it on Friday. If I didn't go, I'd have to be at the sawyer at 8 on Saturday and head straight to the base to dimension it out.

What would you do in this situation?

Thanks!

Michelle Rich
02-19-2017, 6:06 AM
I think 3/4 is too thin for a top that is 72x45. With so few choices, I might consider cutting the 3/4 wood into strips and turning on the sides and gluing together to get 1.5 +-inch thickness for the table top. oops..misunderstood your question, tho I do think 3/4 is too thin for that large a top. yes, one could laminate legs and undercarriage.

Kevin Smira
02-19-2017, 6:57 AM
Thanks Michelle. The thickness too was in the back of my head. I too was wondering if the thickness was not sufficient. If I turned them on end and cut into strips to make 1.5" top, at 45" wide, that's one helluva glue up, no?

Steve Jenkins
02-19-2017, 7:48 AM
Maybe it's just because I live in Tx. But I don't think an hour and a half dive to get what you really need is out of line. I'd make the drive

Kevin Smira
02-19-2017, 9:30 AM
That's kinda what I'm leaning to as well Steve. I'll have just come back from a 3 week trip in Europe, so I might be tired...however, I think the prices will make up for the drive...

David Eisenhauer
02-19-2017, 9:48 AM
Hour and a half? Like running down to San Antonio for some good tacos. Piece of cake. Go get what you need to do the job properly and your daughter will have this long after you have moved on. I think this is one of those pieces of furniture that deserves the run.

Kevin Smira
02-19-2017, 10:12 AM
David,

I'd kill for some Mi Tierra's right now...thanks for nothing...

Mel Fulks
02-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Tables with apron frames under the top usually have tops only 3/4

Bill Dindner
02-19-2017, 10:39 AM
I would just order it online and you can just get whatever you want, there are a few well priced online lumberyards, I've ordered from Wall Lumber a few times and have been happy. Why waste a day and gas.

Kevin Smira
02-19-2017, 10:42 AM
Meant to mention that this table doesn't have an apron, so I'm thinking the 3/4" top might not be the wisest idea...on the underside of the top I was thinking of just making some "cleats" that hold the table leg assemblies in place on the top without actually attaching the top to the leg assemblies. If interested in a pic, I can screenshot sketch up when I get back to my hotel room.

Kevin Smira
02-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Follow-up question...

I've found some dressed 1" cherry for a great price at the yard about an hour from me. So, I'm going to go with that. That said, to make the "2x4" shape bases, I am planning on laminating 3/4 stock and getting as close to the 1.5x3.5 as I can. If I'm off a little from the 2x4 nominal dims, no worries. However, what I need to know now is the best way to nest/estimate how much "double" thickness 3/4 I need to buy. Basically, if I have a pc that's 20" long, I need 40". Make sense? I've drawn it out in sketchup, but I'm unsure if what I've nested is the most optimal way. Any advice?

Lonnie Gallaher
02-21-2017, 10:30 AM
Kevin,

Your nesting will be based on what is available for lumber widths. I would be looking for lumber that is wide enough to get the two laminated pieces out of the same width of lumber. Basically book matching the pieces for best grain and color matching. So in your example of a piece that is 20" long, you will need lumber that you can rip two pieces that will yield enough material to laminate the 2x4 section.

Kevin Smira
02-21-2017, 10:32 AM
thanks Lonnie. I was looking at it all wrong then. I was looking at it like a 20" pc I would need to pcs 20" long by 4" wide. I'll go back and redraw in sketchup this way too.

Hoang N Nguyen
02-21-2017, 11:07 AM
This is also how I calculate it. I'm in the process of building a breakfast table with supports for the legs calling out for 3.5" wide boards. I figured I can joint 8" boards on my jointer so I buy boards around 8", after milling I should still be able to get (2) 3.5" wide boards out of it with a hair left over.

Also keep in mind, if you glue 2 boards together to get the thickness you want. You MAY see the glue line down the edge of the board. Something to keep in mind.

Kevin,

Your nesting will be based on what is available for lumber widths. I would be looking for lumber that is wide enough to get the two laminated pieces out of the same width of lumber. Basically book matching the pieces for best grain and color matching. So in your example of a piece that is 20" long, you will need lumber that you can rip two pieces that will yield enough material to laminate the 2x4 section.

lowell holmes
02-21-2017, 2:54 PM
Hour and a half? Like running down to San Antonio for some good tacos. Piece of cake. Go get what you need to do the job properly and your daughter will have this long after you have moved on. I think this is one of those pieces of furniture that deserves the run.

Or from the Nasa area to Hardwood Lumber or Houston Hardwoods.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-21-2017, 3:07 PM
I drive at least 30 miles for most hardwoods. For the cherry end tables my wife wants, I'm driving to a lumber supplier 110 miles away. Since I don't have a pickup anymore, I am hoping I can convince a local cabinet shop to sell me or allow me to have a 3/4" cherry plywood delivered to his shop. Then I'll borrow a pickup and bring it to my shop.

David Eisenhauer
02-21-2017, 5:14 PM
Just sayin Kevin............trying to put in perspective................they are still open, always open...............and they still have their pastry line...............make the run, get the wood you know you need.

Kevin Smira
02-21-2017, 5:21 PM
Just sayin Kevin............trying to put in perspective................they are still open, always open...............and they still have their pastry line...............make the run, get the wood you know you need.

I'm not going to say I did look, but I'm not going to say I didn't look either...but, "my guess" is it's 961 miles one way from my house to Mi Tierra's...again, that's purely a guess.