PDA

View Full Version : No. 3 and Union No. 43 Tune up

Matt Evans
02-17-2017, 3:35 PM
Got a package last night. Went out to the shop around 9pm, spent a bit of time cleaning up the planes, then got back at it midday today.

I think they turned out pretty decent! I am pretty happy with the No. 3. It worked very nicely on that piece of Hard Maple.

I will probably make a depth stop and fence for the Union plane, as well as reducing the length of the knicker spur, but that is a project for some other time.

Matt Evans
02-17-2017, 3:38 PM
A few more pictures.

Fits in the plane Till Nice, as well!

Jim Koepke
02-17-2017, 5:13 PM
Is the #3 a type 5?

Not enough pictures to tell for sure. I am curious about the mark on the blade and if there is a date on the chip breaker. If it is a type 5 the lateral lever doesn't have a disk but does have a patent date and there should be two patent dates inside the depth adjuster, for a total of 4 patent dates.

An early type 6 would have three patent dates on the lateral adjuster. A late type 6 would also have a date on the blade.

jtk

Matt Evans
02-17-2017, 11:34 PM
Jim,

According to the previous owner "I'm pretty sure it's an early type 6, with a holdover type 5 cutting iron"

I'll fully admit that I don't really pay to much attention to types and exact dates on the planes I use. Looks like 3 patent dates on the Lateral.

I added a couple pictures of the Lateral adjustment lever and cutting iron. Not great pictures, but I think the details come through.

Jim Koepke
02-18-2017, 1:43 AM
Jim,

According to the previous owner "I'm pretty sure it's an early type 6, with a holdover type 5 cutting iron"

I'll fully admit that I don't really pay to much attention to types and exact dates on the planes I use. Looks like 3 patent dates on the Lateral.

I added a couple pictures of the Lateral adjustment lever and cutting iron. Not great pictures, but I think the details come through.

Early type 6 is what it looks like. Another type 5 detail is the ring at the base of the knob.

My type 6 #4-1/2 came with the later blade marked > STANLEY < with the large hole at the bottom. My other type 6 planes came either with Pat Apl 19, 92 blades or other replacement blades.

One of my planes from this period sort of falls into being a type 6. It could be a franken plane. The John Walter book puts it at being a type 6a. The left hand adjuster was used on this plane. All of my earlier type 6s have a right hand thread adjuster nut. I haven't seen left hand threaded adjusters with patent dates nor have I seen right handed adjusters without them.

jtk