PDA

View Full Version : Material and Size for Crosscut Sled on Unisaw? MDF, Birch? 3/4 vs 1/2?

Patrick Irish
02-17-2017, 11:59 AM
I made a sled for my bosch 4100 jobsite year ago out of 3/4" melamine with plastic runners and a 1.5" oak fence. It was nice but heavy.

What would be the ideal size for my first sled for my 3hp Unisaw? Making cutting boards, cheese boards etc. My miter saw is a hassle to setup so likely cutting material with crosscut sled more too.

I'm trying to decide between mdf, birch or melamine. Finding melamine coated MDF would be nice.

I'd like to add a single t-track on the sled so I'll likely need 3/4" right? Would 3/4" MDF base with 1.5" oak fence be too heavy if it's say 30" wide x 25" inside depth?

I don't think a 3/8" miter track will fit well in 1/2" mdf.

Bruce Page
02-17-2017, 12:59 PM
Patrick, I made my full-size sled out of 3/4" melamine covered partial board. The sled has been rock solid and I love the 24" crosscut capacity but it is a tank to lift on & off the table. If I were to remake it I would use 1/2" BB. My runners are surface mounted to the sled bottom so making it out of 3/4 or 1/2 material would not make any difference.

andy bessette
02-17-2017, 2:28 PM
Any plywood would work. But birch and MDF are heavy. The fence need not be that heavy 1.5" oak, either.

Brett Luna
02-17-2017, 3:08 PM
I made mine using both Baltic birch and BORG birch.

http://www.brettluna.com/img/s7/v162/p1744743441-2.jpg (http://www.brettluna.com/img/s7/v162/p1744743441-5.jpg)

I figured the first one wouldn't be my forever sled so I used some leftovers: a piece of ½-inch BORG birch ply for the base and some ¾-inch BB for the fences. I think I have about 28 inches of capacity so it's a little beastly but not too bad. I put a single Kreg miter on it without problems.

Lee Schierer
02-17-2017, 9:27 PM
I used a quarter sheet of 1/2" maple faced ply from one of the Borgs.

Mason Truelove
02-21-2017, 2:26 AM
3/4 is ideal but 1/2 plywood will works for that.

I made a sled for my bosch 4100 jobsite year ago out of 3/4" melamine with plastic runners and a 1.5" oak fence. It was nice but heavy.

What would be the ideal size for my first sled for my 3hp Unisaw? Making cutting boards, cheese boards etc. My miter saw is a hassle to setup so likely cutting material with crosscut sled more too.

I'm trying to decide between mdf, birch or melamine. Finding melamine coated MDF would be nice.

I'd like to add a single t-track on the sled so I'll likely need 3/4" right? Would 3/4" MDF base with 1.5" oak fence be too heavy if it's say 30" wide x 25" inside depth?

I don't think a 3/8" miter track will fit well in 1/2" mdf.

Bradley Gray
03-19-2017, 5:42 PM
I have several made of 1/2 or 3/4" birch ply. The largest is 8' wide for trimming and dados tall carcase sides.

I make quick and dirty sleds regularly for special tasks.

I have found it easier to start with separate pieces for the left and right side. I attach one runner to each piece and trim each to size on the saw using its runner.

Art Mann
03-26-2017, 11:15 AM
My first sled was made from domestic 3/4 Birch plywood. It was so heavy and clumsy that I abandoned it after a few months and built one from 1/2 Birch. It saw 11 years of use before I sold it along with the table saw it was built for. So far as I know, it is still in service.

glenn bradley
03-26-2017, 11:53 AM
I have several sleds of different sizes and purposes. Since I use them frequently the weight difference shows up for me. Although their are lightweight composites, some MDF and PB can be half-again the weight of an equal thickness Baltic Birch ply. BB ply is often heavier than thick layer shop grade ply but, I prefer BB ply (or maybe it is just what I keep around). I make my fence dimensions to fit my other jig stuff; stop blocks, hold downs and such).

Rollie Kelly
03-27-2017, 9:07 AM
For 1/2" you might consider MDO plywood. Good stuff!