PDA

View Full Version : Need to glue to shellac

Steven J Corpstein
10-14-2005, 10:11 AM
I am adding some additional dividers to a drawer that has been shellacked already. I'd rather (or cannot) strip the shellac off and wondered if an epoxy glue would stick to it?

Peter Pedisich
10-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Try RooGlue...it's a glue for melamine cabinets and it's strong.

Gene Collison
10-14-2005, 10:53 AM
I am adding some additional dividers to a drawer that has been shellacked already. I'd rather (or cannot) strip the shellac off and wondered if an epoxy glue would stick to it?

I am almost positive that epoxy will work just fine providing it is the dewaxed variety of shellac. Just make a joint and see.

Gene

Jay Kilpatrick
10-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Steven,
Have you considered putting in a groove for the divider? If you haven't, then this might work for you. You say it has a finish on it, so I'll assume its assembled. So...

1. You'll need a straight edge, a marking knife, and a chisel (the same width or less than the divider's thickness).

2. Lay-out the groove where you want the divider to go. Use the marking knife and straight edge to make several passes along each side of the groove. This will give you clean edges at the joint between the divider and drawer. You'll be laying-out a through groove (like a full dado) to the bottom of the drawer. This groove isn't going to be deep (an eighth of an inch or less), just enough to fully register the divider giving it the strength to keep your contents "divided".

3. Now take the chisel and carefully pare out the waste in the groove.

4. Slide in divider

Voila! Hope that helps someone; or better yet, you!