PDA

View Full Version : Makita Router RF1101 plunge base not locking in

Charlie Steck
02-16-2017, 1:49 PM
I have a Makita RF1101 kit. It includes a plunge base (1933569). I have had it for years ... but job responsibilities changed and I never had a chance to use it.

Retired and have time now. I'm loving the fixed base setup. The machine just looks like quality. The plunge base is another story ... it just doesn't feel like the motor unit is seating completely in the plunge base. Cannot find manual and Makita's online manuals do not address the plunge base.

Does anyone have experience with this model and kit ? I sure would appreciate knowing how to operate the plunge base.

Thanks so much in advance !
Charlie

Charlie Steck
02-17-2017, 7:39 AM
Contacted Makita (prior to this original post) sent pictures. They are suppose to try and find one "back in the back" and check out how the plunge base works. That seems to tell me they have no manuals for the plunge base anywhere. Haven't heard back yet.

From my research and examination ... I believe there is a screw that suppose to tighten up some kind of metal block and that is how you secure the motor unit in the plunge base. Seems like it should screw all the way down like it does in the fixed base and then have a locking clasp or something that you break over and can't vibrate loose ?!?!?!

If anyone knows how it is suppose to work and what I have "seemed" to find out is wrong, I sure would appreciate your sharing.

This is my first router and I have to say the router itself operates great.

CS

Patrick Curry
02-17-2017, 9:28 AM
Can you post some photos? I don't have experience with that Makita plunge base but would be surprised if the connection and lock mechanism is far different than other kits.

I know with my DeWalt combo kit, the motor has to be aligned just right with the base before it will slide in. There are some machined groves and some molding for vacuum exhaust to line up if my memory serves me correctly. Positioned correctly the motor base will just slide down into the sleeve. There's something like a buckle to secure and tighter the fit.

If my DeWalt wasn't sliding down into the base I'd first check the alignment. If that wasn't the problem I'd check the plunge stops just to make sure they weren't up at their max height which essentially limits my plunge.

Matthew Hills
02-17-2017, 9:37 AM
I have this router kit with fixed and plunge bases.

I'm not sure exactly what could be going on. To install in the plunge base:

loosen the lock screw on the plunge base (this is a phillips head screw near one of the handles)
(manual has some notes about left/right sides, but I haven't done anything for this in practice -- but keep an eye on the cord interfering with the height adjustment rod)
Insert the motor unit into the base (there are tabs in the base that run in the spiral grooves on the motor unit)
Rotate the motor unit clockwise until it stops.
tighten the lock screw

I do have the original manual; PM me if you want that, but really, you aren't missing much.

Matt

Charlie Steck
02-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Thank Matt ! That confirms what I was wondering from my searching. I just thought I was possibly missing something since it is nothing like the solid way it mounts in the fixed based. Having to tighten a screw in the plunge base didn't intuitively follow.

Thanks again !
CS

Charlie Steck
02-18-2017, 5:16 AM
Makira did email me with a series of photos and step instructions. Very clear. Same approach that Matt posted.