PDA

View Full Version : Warm Winter

Yonak Hawkins
02-16-2017, 11:16 AM
We have had such a terribly warm winter here in north Georgia, I'm concerned it will be a buggy summer, plus diminished yields for Georgia peach, blueberry, pecan, cotton and peanut farmers. I heat both my house and my shop with wood and we haven't gone through 1/2 cord, plus I haven't even burned up my shop wood scraps from last year. We had daffodils coming up in January. It looks like it will be another hot summer and year.

Rich Riddle
02-16-2017, 12:18 PM
The Farmer's Almanac called for a warm and wet winter in this area and so far it's been spot on with the forecast. That said, today is seasonal with a high in the thirties but next week is all in the sixties.

Michael Weber
02-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Going to get to 80 degrees this weekend in western Arkansas. Goood motorcycle weather but jeez it's February.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Here in the Pacific Northwest...a warm winter hasn't been the problem. For the first time in 34 years that we have lived here, there has been snow on the ground for over 9 weeks. Usually, it will snow and be gone in 5-7 days.

Our local paper reported December was 5ºF colder and January 9ºF colder than the 50 year average. One place 31 miles north of here is reporting temperatures 31% colder than normal.

Shawn Pixley
02-16-2017, 1:11 PM
Warm and wet here in SoCal. We are expecting 5+" in the next 36 hours. We also have a Gale Warning in effect.

John A langley
02-16-2017, 1:59 PM
It's 70 here in Baldwin City Kansas but don't tell anyone supposed to be in the upper 60s low 70s all next week

Rich Riddle
02-16-2017, 4:20 PM
Are you expecting five inches of rain or snow?
Warm and wet here in SoCal. We are expecting 5+" in the next 36 hours. We also have a Gale Warning in effect.

Marty Schlosser
02-16-2017, 4:42 PM
Global warming!

We have had such a terribly warm winter here in north Georgia, I'm concerned it will be a buggy summer, plus diminished yields for Georgia peach, blueberry, pecan, cotton and peanut farmers. I heat both my house and my shop with wood and we haven't gone through 1/2 cord, plus I haven't even burned up my shop wood scraps from last year. We had daffodils coming up in January. It looks like it will be another hot summer and year.

Greg R Bradley
02-16-2017, 5:08 PM
Seriously?
5" of snow in SoCal would be the end of the world. We see 1/8-1/4" every 10-15 years or so.

Shawn Pixley
02-16-2017, 7:25 PM

Five plus inches of rain. Snow where I live (on the beach in Southern California) would be incredibly rare. Nights have been in the fifties and days in the sixties (Fahrenheit). I have never seen frost at my house.

Inland above say 2500 feet in the moutains, they could get snow. I can see it in the Sespe Condor Reserve from my house.

greg Forster
02-16-2017, 7:45 PM
Piedmont NC here, more 70s forecast next week- not good news if you are a fruit grower

Brian W Smith
02-16-2017, 7:45 PM
Winds here have been howling,with no let up in sight.So while the temps have been pleasant,don't go in the woods.Further,driving back roads is or gives you the willy's.

Myk Rian
02-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Here in the Pacific Northwest...a warm winter hasn't been the problem. For the first time in 34 years that we have lived here, there has been snow on the ground for over 9 weeks. Usually, it will snow and be gone in 5-7 days.
The opposite of here. South Mi. has had snow, barely, then it melted. 50s this weekend with one day of 60s next week.

Ole Anderson
02-17-2017, 3:09 PM
Been a crummy winter here in SE Michigan, we did have a white Christmas but that is about it. No snow on the ground now at all. Having to drive north of the mackinaw bridge to find snow this weekend for snowmobiling. My only trip this year. March 1 we head to FL for 2 months so when I return it will be all green here. I like that too, just not cold and no snow.

Jim Becker
02-17-2017, 7:51 PM
East coast should expect April-like weather for the next week or two based on the jet stream, according to the news forecast tonight...

Brian Elfert
02-18-2017, 5:06 PM
Minneapolis hit 63 degrees yesterday. I heard that if we had 64 degrees that it would have set the record for highest temperature ever in February.

I have a drainage ditch out front of my house filled with snow melt water that isn't going anywhere. I haven't seen that in the past two winters I lived here.

Bruce Wrenn
02-18-2017, 8:11 PM
Global warming!Ever since the last ice age. I guess mankind didn't cause that.

Brian W Evans
02-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Ever since the last ice age. I guess mankind didn't cause that.

You are correct about this. Even without man-made emissions of greenhouse gasses, we would expect the temperature to rise, very gradually, for the foreseeable future. You are also correct that we can't point to a single stretch of warm / strange weather and say that is caused by global warming. (Nor can we bring a snowball to the floor of the Senate and say that it is proof that global warming isn't happening.)

HOWEVER, the question is not, "is the temperature rising?" but "how fast is the temperature rising?" Please look at NASA (https://climate.nasa.gov/) or NOAA (https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/) data - straight from the horse's mouth to avoid cherrypicking or manipulating of data. You will see that the Earth's temperature has been increasing much more quickly (and increasingly so) since we started putting massive amounts of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere about 200 years ago.

Consider also that 194 nations signed the Paris climate agreement over the past two years, agreeing to limit emissions of greenhouse gasses. This requires significant changes to the economies of every country on the planet. Why would they do this, contrary to their own interests, if they didn't believe global warming was happening AND caused in part by human activity?

Finally, here is a video from Bell Labs in 1958 (https://youtu.be/x1ph_7C1Jq4)(!), explaining how global warming works and how it is related to the burning of fossil fuels. The last five minutes or so is what you want to watch.

With respect,
Brian

Leo Graywacz
02-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Up here in the NE I'm routing for global warming. Nice low heating bill, less snow to shovel, not waking up to 5 degrees and having to deice the windshields.

And still we get the occasional 12-15" snowstorm and 3" of ice pellets. Still waiting for that elusive snowless winter.

Mel Fulks
02-19-2017, 12:04 PM
They need to go back to the 1970s global cooling for a while. But they didn't use that term ,think it was "the coming ice age".

Jim Andrew
02-19-2017, 1:45 PM
If this is global warming, I'm all for it.

Yonak Hawkins
02-19-2017, 2:22 PM
Jim, that's funny, but will you say that this summer ?

Jim Becker
02-19-2017, 8:37 PM
Professor Dr. SWMBO reported that our honeybees were out gathering pollen yesterday and today...mid-February. Go figure...