PDA

View Full Version : Wood plus metal leaf dressers

Jamie Buxton
10-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Here's a trio of dressers which use a new medium for me: metallic leaf. (Metallic leaf is like gold leaf, except that it may be made from non-gold metals.) I like the contrast between the organic wood and the inorganic metal.

24747 Click on the thumbnail for a bigger shot.

The dressers are each 38" wide by 38" tall by 22" deep. Here's a close-up of the middle dresser.

The woodwork is rather plain, so the metal decoration can be the primary focus of the design. It is all red oak, solid except for the drawer bottoms and carcass backs. The carcass joint at the upper corners is a blind mitered finger joint which was discussed in http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=189659&postcount=1.

Metal leaf is fairly easy to apply. On these dressers, I first filled the oak grain, and then applied two coats of sanding sealer. The grain filler and the sealer provide a flat substrate for the leaf. The leaf is so thin that the pores in red oak are huge chasms in comparison. After the sanding sealer, I applied what gilders call "size". Woodworkers would call it varnish. When has cured to the tacky stage, it is ready for leafing. The metallic leaf is supplied in sheets about 5" square. You just float a leaf over the tacky size, and tamp it down. There's an immediate bond. The leaf is so thin that when you rub it lightly, the non-bonded leaf tears away and practically evaporates. After the leaf is bonded, I washed it with alcohol, and applied the clear top coat. I found the alcohol wash necessary because I use waterborne finishes. There's evidently some oil or wax on the leaf left from manufacturing, and the waterborne varnish doesn't flow out properly on the metal unless I do the alcohol wash first.

The leaf on this dresser is copper. Copper and its compounds can have many different colors. There's two kinds of leaf on this dresser: the straight copper, and a mottled leaf. The mottled leaf comes that way from the manufacturer. It is also possible to color copper yourself by applying various mild acids. (David Marks does some work with this approach.) However, in my test runs, I had difficulty keeping the acids off the oak, so I used the pre-mottled leaf.

Vaughn McMillan
10-14-2005, 4:39 AM
Very, very cool, Jamie. The wood/metal combo works for me. I also like the way the three pieces come together as a set. I'm assuming the crisp lines of the leaf were the result of applying the size with crisp lines. Did you mask off where the size was applied?

Thanks for the pics -

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
10-14-2005, 9:47 AM
Very nice, Jamie. I agree that the metal leaf is a great accent for these pieces! 'Glad the joinery worked out, too.

Dave Richards
10-14-2005, 9:59 AM
Very nice, Jamie. Very nice.

Have you tried doing the metal leaf on a darker wood? I'me curious as to how it would look on walnut, for example.

Bernie Weishapl
10-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Jamie that is very nice. I like it. Absolutely awesome.

Keith Burns
10-14-2005, 10:20 AM
WOW, those are very, very nice. Wish I had the guts to try something like this.

Jason Tuinstra
10-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Very impressive! The contrast is striking. Thanks for sharing

Jamie Buxton
10-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks guys.

Vaughn, I just painted the size on with a small brush. I've had bad experience with masking tape. One issue is that the paint occasionally leaks under the tape. Another is that the fluid paint wicks toward the tape, and leaves a big step at the edge of the painted area after the tape is removed.

Dave, I haven't tried metal leaf on dark woods. Like you, I suspect it would be very good looking.

Keith -- go for it! Metallic leaf is very very thin -- much thinner than a layer of paint. If you don't like what you've done, you should be able to just sand it off and try something else.

Rich Torino
10-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Great looking work.. Very atristic design.
Where did you purchast the metalic leaf from?? I would really like to try in on a project sometime..

Jamie Buxton
10-14-2005, 9:14 PM
Great looking work.. Very atristic design.
Where did you purchast the metalic leaf from?? I would really like to try in on a project sometime..

www.houstonart.com or www.artsparx.com

Jay Knepper
10-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Very nice, Jamie. The application adds an intriguing new dimension to the pices.

Jay Knoll
10-15-2005, 6:46 AM
Jamie

Those are great, I really like the interplay of the wood and the metallic leaf! Great design as well did you "free hand" the patterns or draw them out full size before you put them on the dressers.

Regarding tape bleed through, have you tried the tape that automotive repair shops use? I think it is called thin line and is supposed to be great

Jay

Karl Laustrup
10-15-2005, 7:37 AM
Those are great looking pieces, Jamie. Well done.

Karl

Jamie Buxton
10-15-2005, 11:20 AM
Jamie

Those are great, I really like the interplay of the wood and the metallic leaf! Great design as well did you "free hand" the patterns or draw them out full size before you put them on the dressers.

Regarding tape bleed through, have you tried the tape that automotive repair shops use? I think it is called thin line and is supposed to be great

Jay

Jay -- I laid out the leaf design on a computer, scaled it up to full size, printed it out on many sheets of paper, tiled them together, cut out around the design, and taped those bits to the dressers. Then I traced around the edges of the paper on to the oak.

Jamie

Lee DeRaud
10-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Jamie - Any quick links to sources or is this something most craft stores (Michael's maybe?) would stock?

Pete Harbin
10-15-2005, 5:40 PM
Nicely done Jamie! That metal leaf and read oak look very sharp together. I'm adding a note to my ideas/things to try list.

Thanks for sharing!

Pete

Jamie Buxton
10-15-2005, 8:14 PM
Jamie - Any quick links to sources or is this something most craft stores (Michael's maybe?) would stock?

Lee, www.houstonart.com or www.artsparx.com are online sources for leaf and leafing supplies.

Mark Singer
10-15-2005, 8:18 PM
jamie,
Those are great!Love the detail and very original!

Lee DeRaud
10-15-2005, 9:20 PM
Lee, www.houstonart.com (http://www.houstonart.com) or www.artsparx.com (http://www.artsparx.com) are online sources for leaf and leafing supplies.Thanks...looks like a neat way to spice up my small boxes.:cool:

Jules Dominguez
11-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Jamie, I just followed a current post back to this one and saw your dressers for the first time. That's a wonderful piece (pieces) of work.