PDA

View Full Version : Will Adhesive & Paper dull bits?

Floyd Cox
02-15-2017, 11:16 AM
Does anyone know if routing through a glued down patten will dull a bit faster? I have always transferred the pattern with carbon paper, but the alternative sure would be a time saver.

Thanks in advance ...

Floyd

Joe Pelonio
02-15-2017, 7:21 PM
Does anyone know if routing through a glued down patten will dull a bit faster? I have always transferred the pattern with carbon paper, but the alternative sure would be a time saver.

Thanks in advance ...

Floyd
I have used transfer tape with no ill effects, but glue will most likely gum it up, not dull it but cause additional heat and which can cause problems. You might have to stop and clean the bit frequently.

Rodger MacMunn
02-16-2017, 8:09 AM
I can't imagine it will . Unless you're using coarse sandpaper LOL Most glues are relatively soft as well. I glue up blanks with wood-glue or DunaBond ( like Gorilla Glue) on HDU or wood, & I rout them with no adverse effects.

Floyd Cox
02-16-2017, 9:47 AM
Joe, can't seem to get a handle on what transfer tape is, can it be ran through a inkjet printer?

Joe Pelonio
02-17-2017, 9:58 PM
Joe, can't seem to get a handle on what transfer tape is, can it be ran through a inkjet printer?
Made for transferring plotter cut vinyl to the substrate, it's used often in my laser work. It has an easily removable adhesive similar to blue masking tape, comes in various widths cut from 300' logs 48" wide at a sign supply, or online at EBay or other sources. I have run it through and inkjet by applying to normal paper, then trim edges to the paper size, print, remove from the paper and then apply to the material to be routed.