PDA

View Full Version : magMates or Similar?

Brett Winston
02-15-2017, 8:29 AM
Does anyone have experience cutting flexible sheet magnet material with a co2 laser? The goal is to cut customer-requested shapes from these "car magnet sheets" then sub a graphic on to them. Rowmark has something called magMates but they are pre-scored sheets of little rectangles from what I can tell AND the description says they are vinyl so not a good fit for laser cutting. Thoughts?

Mike Null
02-15-2017, 11:22 AM
My experience with laser cutting magnet material was bad--charred and dirty-- so I stopped trying to do it.

John Lifer
02-15-2017, 3:45 PM
JDS brand with white inject face says it is NOT laserable

vic casware
02-15-2017, 3:56 PM
Have you tried Rowmark LaserMag sheets? I think it only comes in
Silver, Black or Gold though.

Glen Monaghan
02-16-2017, 8:25 PM
The "laserable" stuff I cut a couple of years ago threw amazing (worrisome, actually) sparks, smoked a lot, and left charred but gummy edges :(

Brett Winston
02-17-2017, 9:16 AM
Just found this at Johnson Plastics (http://www.johnsonplastics.com/engraving/engravable-sheet-stock/magnetic-materials/12-x-24-025-magnetic-sheet-with-adhesive). Not exactly what I need but figured I'd post it here for future reference.

Kyle Peace
02-17-2017, 11:00 AM
The "laserable" stuff I cut a couple of years ago threw amazing (worrisome, actually) sparks, smoked a lot, and left charred but gummy edges :(

This was my experience too, sparks everywhere and never ending charred edges that seemingly can't be cleaned off. I made do at the time by making the magnet smaller than the piece so no edges touched a customer's hand, but I'd avoid doing them again. Maybe a small neodymium embedded in the back, but not the sheet stuff again.