PDA

View Full Version : A Rant about Rants

Bruce Page
10-14-2005, 12:20 AM
Is anybody else getting tired of all the rants? If I go to Woodwackers Supply (insert name here) and I’m treated poorly for whatever reason, does that mean that all Woodwackers should be boycotted? Maybe the sales person had a fight with his wife that morning or has a sick child, who knows? Haven’t you ever had a bad day? Sheeze, get over it and move on. If you decide to never walk through that company’s doors again that’s your prerogative. I don’t think it is necessary or warranted to blast that company across the net.

Sorry, rant off.

Don Baer
10-14-2005, 12:55 AM
I have no problem with woodwakerks suppply it's homewakers that I have a problem with. After all If I wanted to get a faulty waker I'd have gone to defectivewakers and gotten what I was paying for,..

Oh what a minute I guess I'm venting. I guess I'll have to go out to good wakers and get what I realy need even if I have to drive a little further and pay a bit more..

:p

Lee DeRaud
10-14-2005, 1:13 AM
Oh what a minute I guess I'm venting."Venting" is ok, it's ranting we're trying to cut down on. Didn't you get the memo?

Don Baer
10-14-2005, 1:14 AM
To put it another way.
If I need a piece of MDF or a a few Red wood 1x6's to fix my fence I go to the borg. As a matter of fact they also have the light bulbs I need and even an occasional bag od Sackcrete oh and don't forget the bag of ferterlizer for the lawn.
If I need to buy some 8/4 QSWO then I drive a few mile (in my case 20+) and pick it up from my friendly Reel lumber store.

They all serve a purpose.

Lee DeRaud
10-14-2005, 1:19 AM
Is anybody else getting tired of all the rants?...

Sorry, rant off.Sigh. The canonical rant begins with: "I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but..."
and ends with "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Am I the only Dennis Miller fan here?

Jeff Sudmeier
10-14-2005, 8:20 AM
:) This is why I don't boycot stores because of info on the net.

I like to make my own opion of them. However. Farm & fleet (Local chain) can be a real pain sometimes!! :)

John Miliunas
10-14-2005, 9:45 AM
:) This is why I don't boycott stores because of info on the net.

I like to make my own opion of them. However. Farm & fleet (Local chain) can be a real pain sometimes!! :)

Uhhh Jeff... Me thinks you may only be talking of the one in Dodgerville. The others, in my own experience, are pretty good.:)

Personally, I think many of the "rants" here are generated against vendors who seem to be summarily offering poor service and/or product. If you think of past posts, you really don't see a whole lot of "bad" or ranting posts about HF. Yet, we all know that many of their items just don't perform as well as many of the mainstream items. BUT, we pretty much know and expect that and go into HF to purchase items primarily based on price.:rolleyes:

That said, I appreciate seeing many of these rants, not necessarily with a boycott in mind, but rather as a cautionary thing. If I see a "rant" about "Acme Saw Co.", where a lot of folks have had problems with their saw blades, I can them make my own decision if I want to take a chance on buying from them or not. Just like I've seen a number of "bad" reports on certain Woodcraft stores. There have been just as many and probably more positive feedbacks on them and, for me, my own local WC has usually been a good store for me to shop at. 100% of the time? Nope. But, by and large, I'm happy with them but, I go in there with the expectation that I might not be completely satisfied.:rolleyes:

Bruce, you're right. Not all experiences at a certain vendor are necessarily going to be bad ones for everyone all of the time. It's those, like we've seen recently at many of the borg stores, which I think, brings up that cautionary flag. IMHO, it's also an opportunity for many of us to search out other vendors who may indeed be trying to win our business or even stay alive by providing customers with better CS. There have also been instances where some of these rants are actually picked up by specific vendors and they've made attempts to resolve the situation and improve upon their service, realizing that such negative publicity is NOT good for their business.:)

Finally, let's face it; We're only human and "venting" is often a way to help relieve some of the stress over a bad experience. In the heat of the moment, we sometimes loose our grip on the overall situation and, after posting such a thread, others in our community actually have viable suggestions to help their fellow member cope with it and attain a resolution to the problem(s). After all, we're here to help support each other, right?!:) OK, stepping down off my soapbox!:) :cool:

Steve Clardy
10-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Yes. Seems there are several on here now.

Dennis McDonaugh
10-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Bruce, if they bother you, don't read them. There are several topics that really irritate me, some because the topics themselves and others because of the responses they generate. I have the option to not read them, but usually I can't resist. Then I'm aggervated and have to step back and cool off. But, the bottom line is its my choice whether I read a thread or leave it alone, then I have all kinds of options of how to respond or not respond.

My last post about the HD in my area was not a call to boycott HD by everyone else. Heck, I'm not even going to boycott them, just my neighborhood store. Luckily, there is another a few miles down the road that seems to be managed better.

Bruce Page
10-14-2005, 1:58 PM
John, I’m not talking about the ACME Saw Companies of the world, if ACME Saw Co. is selling inferior products then by all means I want to know about it - I have made dozens of purchase decisions based on other’s good or bad experiences with a particular product. And your analogy to HF is a good one – if I want a table saw that will last me a lifetime and make beautiful, accurate, cuts year after year I won’t go to HF to find it. If I want a 100 count box of Nitrile disposable gloves for 11 bucks, guess where I go?
I guess what I’m talking about are the Borg rants, where they are dealing with hundreds or thousands of customers every day, most of them content with their purchase. If 1 or 2% walk out disgruntled, I’d say that that store has very good customer service. Is it a perfect world? You can’t make all the people happy all of the time.
Dennis, my post wasn’t really directed at you in particular, I just think getting into a tizzy because someone asked you for a receipt is a little over the top – life’s too short.

""That's just my opinion, I could be wrong."" :D

Keith Starosta
10-14-2005, 2:05 PM
I'm about to bust out with a rant about "rant rant's"......err.....uhhhh....what? ;) :D

Loy Hawes
10-14-2005, 2:07 PM
If I go to Woodwackers Supply

Don't go there! It will make you blind and put hair on your palms. :eek:

Dennis Peacock
10-14-2005, 7:47 PM
Hey.....We all have good AND bad experiences in most every aspect of our lives....including our jobs, spouses, ball teams, vehicles, and the list goes on forever.....

Live by my rule of thumb: Don't sweat the small stuff....and it's ALL small stuff. :rolleyes: :D

Tim Morton
10-14-2005, 8:10 PM
I have NEVER read a rant yet where the person asked anyone here to do anything. Generally speaking they are just another form of conversation amungst friends....or at least thats how i take them. Besides its always nice to have some point of reference so when I walk away from a store thinking to myself..." Is it me or do they just not get that I am a customer and should not be treated like an inconviencience".

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-14-2005, 8:54 PM
While I agree with Bruce, there are times where unscrupulous scoundrals need to be brought into the light of day, for the good of all.

Just MHO.

Bruce

Rob Littleton
10-14-2005, 9:06 PM
Good day or bad day........

these people are customer facing and should NOT let personal or other business problems intefer with the way they serve customers and tend to peoples needs.

I love to hear about poor service (ESPECIALLY HD:D)