PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Fiber Laser

John Lifer
02-14-2017, 4:33 PM
Ok, so I'm going to jump off the deep end and purchase a 20w Fiber Laser to add to my equipment.
I do know these things are way different than the CO2 lasers.
It s pretty easy to run a cable from my desktop computer to the CO2, or for that matter, drop files onto a USB thumb and plug them into the machine and import into controller.
But with the Fiber, there is no human interface other than the computer.

And as most of the Fibers don't come with laptop (seems like that was common a few years ago)

How do most of you interface?

I hesitate to run a 10 or 15ft cable to connect it and walk back and forth. Especially for small items that would only take a minute to run and are serialized.
And I don't really want to change up my layout, I have good empty spot for it.

Should I break down and get a cheap laptop? Do any design work on desktop, save onto USB and bring to the laptop and run from there?

Further info, I've got indescribably bad Internet, satellite, and I'm running off of WiFi for internet in the basement, so no real network in basement right now.

Should I break down spend the $ and time and wire that up?

Would make moving files moot, as laptop could 'see' and obtain off my desktop.
Thanks for the help!

Gary Hair
02-14-2017, 5:41 PM
It would make more sense to have a network setup, it takes very little hardware and the cost is minimal. As for controlling the fiber - virtually every fiber I have seen comes with a computer, either a laptop or desktop. I can almost guarantee that if you don't have a computer that comes pre-configured with the software you need and the various settings you need configured, that you will have to spend quite a bit of time chasing down what needs to be configured and even more time chasing down someone who knows what the settings should be. My .02? Get a computer with the fiber and if the vendor you are looking to purchase from doesn't sell systems like that, find one who does.

Scott Shepherd
02-14-2017, 6:02 PM
It takes a control board in the computer to run the fiber, so without the slots for the board on a laptop, I don't think it's going to run, but I could be wrong. I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

The galvo fiber machines are an odd machine. You can take most of what you think and toss it out the window as they write their own rules. I recall getting a several 1000 piece job, anodized aluminum, about 5 different shapes, 100's and 100's of each shape, if not 1,000's of some of them. While the shapes were being cut by an outside source, I decided to build 2 sets of jigs for each part shape, each jig holding 8-12 pieces, depending on the shape. I made all the sets of fixtures, was all set to rock and roll. Parts got here, I loaded the first fixture, hit start, went to the load the 2nd fixture while the first was running and before I could load 2 parts, the batch was finished. I couldn't even unload the batch done before the next one was done engraving. All my fixture ideas were literally tossed in the trash. I setup a stop, bumped them against the stop and rocked through them.

Things like serial numbers on parts, especially anodized aluminum or plastics is going to go so fast you won't have time to take a sip of coffee before it's done, so be careful how you plan to run it. They tend to require a lot of labor to run (i.e. sitting there, changing parts in and out) unless you get deep metal engraving.

Gary Hair
02-14-2017, 6:09 PM
It takes a control board in the computer to run the fiber, so without the slots for the board on a laptop, I don't think it's going to run, but I could be wrong. I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

They almost all come with a USB control board now. My first one had a card and the second one had the USB controller. I ended up buying another USB controller to replace the one in my first laser so they would both run the same version of software and I could be assured that whatever I did on one machine would be exactly the same on the other.

Scott Shepherd
02-14-2017, 7:43 PM
They almost all come with a USB control board now. My first one had a card and the second one had the USB controller. I ended up buying another USB controller to replace the one in my first laser so they would both run the same version of software and I could be assured that whatever I did on one machine would be exactly the same on the other.

Well, there ya go! Thanks for correcting me :)

Kev Williams
02-14-2017, 8:14 PM
Mine came with a laptop, but I loaded the EZ cad in my win7 desktop and ran the fiber with it for a few days, no problem.
The trick with mine is the EZcad program, it has Triumph's name all over it, and seems it wiil run the machine thru any USB port on any computer.

However, I've tried running the laser with a newer version of EZcad I downloaded, and pfffftttt... Zilch Nada No Way Hose A...

If I wanted I could run the laptop from any other computer using Remote Desktop. But, it really doesn't help much since there's no 'Remote Alignment' option to redline the engraving coordinates, which you have to do at the machine and the laptop anyway. And any time that may be saved by loading the job remotely is taken away by the time it takes Remote Desktop to stop and let you have the computer back...

--do the whole job in Corel-
--export to dxf
--import, align, fire...

The ONLY money you should need to spend at all, is for a separate mouse, keyboard and monitor.

And the first thing you need to do with that new keyboard?

REMOVE THE F2 KEY
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
If you don't, you'll likely figure out why you should have the hard way :D

John Lifer
02-14-2017, 10:54 PM
So funny Kev! I've seen you complain about the red laser being f1 and laser fire f2 and I've played with the software for q few minutes and i see what yiu are talking about. How do you fire laser? With mouse?
Not a bad idea. So I'll probably get a usb hub and a good second monitor, got pleny of keyboards and mice, real and otherwise.

And thanks Gary, i didn't know why or how they have almost completed eliminated selling with a laptop. Simple enough to add a usb board.... And cheaper than a laptop.

Kev Williams
02-14-2017, 11:11 PM
I have the foot pedal on the table by the keyboard, so I use it or the mouse. And I try to avoid the mouse for red-lighting because the on-screen buttons are right next to each other too.

I've also been trying to get into the habit of clicking-off the first 6 colors immediately after opening a new window, so that IF I have an F2 accident (I accidentally elbowed the foot pedal once too) the laser won't fire.

It's one thing to screw up four of my $21 my cost custom made black anodized turbocharger heat shields,
but accidentally engraving a perimeter alignment borderline onto a customer's $500 high-speed camera cable trolley.... http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/nilly.gifhttp://www.engraver1.com/gifs/banghead.gif

--that's when my F2 key went bye bye! http://www.engraver1.com/gifs/yup.gif

Rodne Gold
02-15-2017, 3:40 AM
We just installed the relevant version of EZcad on an old laptop and it worked straight out the box via USB to my fibre laser (From Longtai $5k door to door)

Darren Wilson
02-15-2017, 4:36 AM
Mine came with a 3 options, Data Cable, USB and WiFi... the all work quite well, but just for ease I mainly use WiFi, as I can connect with the computer I am working from at the time.
The vendor gave me a USB stick with all the software and settings/lens corrections required, and their Chinglish User Manual, a few basic settings for Metals, Ipads, and plastics. The software is MaxMarking, bit clunky but gets the job done.

Kev Williams
02-15-2017, 1:16 PM
We just installed the relevant version of EZcad on an old laptop and it worked straight out the box via USB to my fibre laser (From Longtai $5k door to door)
When I try to load up and run 2.7.6 I get 'can't find the dongle!' message...

Rodne Gold
02-16-2017, 2:47 AM
Did you install the dongle driver? Its called Dog something or other , we got it on a memory stick from our fiber supplier.