PDA

View Full Version : First hand-cut dovetails!

Jon Toebbe
10-13-2005, 11:56 PM
I know, I know... if I don't have pictures it didn't happen. Cut me some slack, my digital camera bought the farm today.

I read Franz Klausz's article on getting started with dovetails in this month's Popular Woodworking and thought, "hey, maybe I can do that!" This afternoon I finally had some time and managed to cut through dovetails on some small pieces of 1/2 poplar. It actually wasn't that hard!

There are some gaps, and a couple of the joints are a bit too tight, but I'm astonished at how nice they look for a first attempt! Once I get a working camera again, I'll post some pics.

Nothing earth-shattering, really -- but I thought I'd share. For those of you who missed that article, btw, I highly recommend it -- Mr. Klausz is wonderfully encouraging to beginners like me. :)

Cheers,
Jon

Alan Turner
10-14-2005, 3:04 AM
Go Joe. Cutting DT's by hand is quite addicitive. I have had 3 router jigs, a Porter Cable, my Dad's, which I gave to a friend, an older Leigh, bought as part of buying a whole estate, which I also gave to a friend, and a NOS Leigh D-4, with all of the bits, etc., which was given to me by a tree trimmer who salvaged it from a box headed for the trash, which I have kept, but not yet used. Maybe someday, but I sort of doubt it, unless I get into making some kitchen cabinets or something along those lines.

Doug Shepard
10-14-2005, 8:07 AM
Jon
Glad to hear the DT's are going well. Franz Klausz also has a worthwhile video available on making drawers with hand-cut DT's. The article you saw covers most of the high points of his video, but it's always nice to watch the whole process. One of the techniques in his video had me thinking "now why the #### didn't I think of that?". When he cuts the grooves for the drawer bottoms with the dado stack, his last step is to raise the dado all the way up to cut through the drawer back. That way you get perfect alignment of the groove with the bottom of the back piece. Seems totally obvious in hindsight, but I'd just never seen that technique before and do it all the time now.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-14-2005, 8:17 AM
Jon,

This is great news to hear! I read that article as well and was wondering if he really was making it too easy! Mr. Klausz did a great job on that one!

John Miliunas
10-14-2005, 9:52 AM
I've got the video and it just makes me sick!:o The man is incredible. He goes from marking the thing out, cutting, chopping and straight to glue-up without even a dry fit!!!:eek: I have tried his method, ala the video, and it really is pretty slick. I need a heckuva' lot more practice, particularly on the original saw cuts. I am convinced, however, that it is very do-able and I can understand Alan NOT needing a jig. To watch Frank go at it, I'm quite sure he could have four drawers done by about the time I get my jig setup and have about 1-1/2 drawers done...Maybe!:o He's truly a Master!:) :cool:

Jon Toebbe
10-14-2005, 10:33 AM
I have had 3 router jigs, a Porter Cable, my Dad's, which I gave to a friend, an older Leigh, bought as part of buying a whole estate, which I also gave to a friend, and a NOS Leigh D-4, with all of the bits, etc., which was given to me by a tree trimmer who salvaged it from a box headed for the trash, which I have kept, but not yet used. Maybe someday, but I sort of doubt it, unless I get into making some kitchen cabinets or something along those lines.

Yeah, I was looking into getting a router jig. Reluctantly, I might add. They're useful workshop tools but I always hate firing up the router -- it's loud, it's messy and I end up spending so much time worrying about properly supporting the workpiece and/or router that I probably actually could do most things by other methods faster.

Plus there's the expense of the jigs -- seems like a lot of money to invest in one operation, at least for my needs. I think I'll practice my dovetails on some drawers for a tool cabinet I'm working on. By that point I think I'll be confident enough to try them on the dresser/changing table I'm going to build for our first child (how's that for a stealth gloat? :D).

Bob Oehler
10-15-2005, 11:06 AM
Yes I agree that Mr. Klaus made it easy for me also. Search my posts for my shop tour and my 1st attempt at dovetails is there. It's fun and easy. Take care Bob Oehler

Michael Gabbay
10-16-2005, 7:09 PM
Frank Klausz's video is humbling.:o I watched is several times and I like the way he just cuts without doing a whole lot of thinking. Although I've not been able to get good waste removal without creating a divot the way he does it.

I think Ian Kirby's method of cutting out the waste and chiseling at an angle seems to work a little better for me.

I'm currently working on 6 drawers for a bathroom vanity. So far I got 2 drawers done with only marginal errors with my joints. Each side is getting better as I go. So maybe after the 6th one I'll be a novice! :D

Mike

John Hagelberger
10-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Hello to everyone...I am a novice woodworker, who'd like to build some cabinets. I am in the need to buy a router and/or table and would love some advice. Again I am totally new...do I need a plunge router, do I need an expensive table...etc. any input would be much appreciated.

Thank You!!!

Roy Wall
10-18-2005, 1:09 PM
John,

Welcome to SMC...!! A great place...

Repost your question in the General WWing and Power Tools section - it will get more hits and more thorough answers.....this is more of the "chisel and mallet" side........

Good luck!!

Hello to everyone...I am a novice woodworker, who'd like to build some cabinets. I am in the need to buy a router and/or table and would love some advice. Again I am totally new...do I need a plunge router, do I need an expensive table...etc. any input would be much appreciated.

Thank You!!!