PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 66 single phase 5 hp starter wiring help

Kevin Koehn
02-14-2017, 1:00 PM
Hello. I recently purchased a powermatic table saw. Based on serial number, I believe its about 22 years old. Single phase, 5 Hp. It starts, runs and stops fine. I am replacing the power supply cord because the old one is in bad shape. When I opened the starter, I noticed the black in coming power wire went to L1 and the white in coming power wire went to L2. In position L3 is the black wire going to the motor. Is this correct? The reason I ask, is according to a photo in Powermatic 66 manual I see online, as well as some other posts I have seen on forums, it says the white wire should be in position L3.
I realize it is working and has worked in this configuration for a long time, just want to make sure it is done correctly. I don't want to shorten the life of anything for example. Any help would be appreciated.

Malcolm McLeod
02-14-2017, 1:29 PM
That is a Telemecanique starter & overload. I am not a Powermatic owner, so take this ignorance with a grain of salt, but I'd be surprised if PM shipped the unit with that high-end starter. So, it is likely a replacement by the previous owner - and may not match the manual.

I'd wire new cord as-is.

Darcy Warner
02-14-2017, 2:09 PM
That is a Telemecanique starter & overload. I am not a Powermatic owner, so take this ignorance with a grain of salt, but I'd be surprised if PM shipped the unit with that high-end starter. So, it is likely a replacement by the previous owner - and may not match the manual.

I'd wire new cord as-is.

They did put those cheap iec starters on there stuff for the last 20 years or so.

I find those starters to be no where as good as a nema mag starter. Only good thing is that they are cheap.

Malcolm McLeod
02-14-2017, 2:26 PM
They did put those cheap iec starters on there stuff for the last 20 years or so.

I find those starters to be no where as good as a nema mag starter. Only good thing is that they are cheap.

Good to know the Telemecanique is OEM. I have found IEC-compliant starters that ARE cheap, by any measure. I have also designed and commissioned control systems using a lot of IEC-compliant SqD/Telemacanique equipment and never had any particular problem with it. And it %*^# sure wasn't cheap , but everybody's perception of value is different. Space in any control enclosure can be precious, so the IEC form factor saves money over NEMA in several ways. And this won't help the OP wire his saw.

I'd run the new power cord exactly like the old.

Edit: For anyone interested, Group Schneider swallowed SqD and Telemecanique. So now it's all big dollar French stuff!!

Dan Friedrichs
02-14-2017, 3:44 PM
Kevin, it looks like your supply cord goes to L1 and L2, and there's a red wire on L3? If so, it's probably this situation:
http://www.schneider-electric.co.uk/en/faqs/FA139511/

(In order to use a 3-phase overload with single-phase, they "wrap" one of the wires "back around" so all 3 legs have current on them, and the overload won't detect a open leg)

Rod Sheridan
02-14-2017, 4:39 PM
Kevin, it looks like your supply cord goes to L1 and L2, and there's a red wire on L3? If so, it's probably this situation:
http://www.schneider-electric.co.uk/en/faqs/FA139511/

(In order to use a 3-phase overload with single-phase, they "wrap" one of the wires "back around" so all 3 legs have current on them, and the overload won't detect a open leg)
yup, that's it, otherwise the thermal sensing doesn't respond to the motor current properly...................Rod.

Kevin Koehn
02-14-2017, 5:12 PM
Thanks everybody for all the help. Wired it up, started fine, made a few cuts. Looking forward to putting it to use.