PDA

View Full Version : Laminate 4/4 wood for thick table top

Chris McLeester
02-12-2017, 9:15 PM
I recently got a significant amount of 4/4 walnut at a really low price ($1.40/bf). My next build was going to be a dining room table similar to the one below. It was going to be ash - but it's going to be walnut now! Obviously, this type of design really wants a thicker top than 4/4.

Do you think I could laminate the 4/4 boards together and then panel glue for the top? I was thinking breadboard ends would help with the appearance of the end grain (which would be a mess from lamination). For the sides, I'm sure I could get it to match okay.

Any thoughts on viability or tips/tricks are much appreciated.

Jamie Buxton
02-12-2017, 9:55 PM
Breadboard ends are a good fix.

On the long sides, you can bevel the top board at 45 degrees, and make the edge from a vertical board that's 1.5" tall, and beveled along the top edge. This puts the glue line right at the corner, not in the middle. Your eye just does not notice it, because we kinda expect the grain to be changing at the corner.

andy bessette
02-12-2017, 10:39 PM
You could edge band the long edges using solid wood.

Mel Fulks
02-12-2017, 11:43 PM
You could do the top as you described ,but I think it would be better to glue them as dressed 4/4 then glue the two layers with the help of some screws from the bottom and clamps around perimeter.
I'd describe the thing as a modern fanciful refectory table made from old railroad trestles. Lots of old tables to use as inspiration. At least look at some pics.

Andrew Hughes
02-13-2017, 12:02 AM
I'd be looking for thicker wood if I had to make that table.Its already busy looking and glueing up 4/4 is just going to look awful.It will add many more hard lines.
Plus that base sitting on the floor how are you going to sweep out the dust bunnies?
Nope I don't like it.

Chris McLeester
02-13-2017, 8:08 AM
I'd be looking for thicker wood if I had to make that table.Its already busy looking and glueing up 4/4 is just going to look awful.It will add many more hard lines.
Plus that base sitting on the floor how are you going to sweep out the dust bunnies?
Nope I don't like it.

Andrew – I get that you don’t like it. But can you explain to me more about the “hard lines”. Wouldn’t that have to be done for the base/legs anyway? Otherwise, you would need to make it out of like 16/4 or something. I’ve done this in the past for table legs and haven’t had it look bad.

For the top, I see how it is different. Curious if you think the entire piece would need to be solid.

Mel – Those refectory tables look a lot like the style I’m going for. Thanks for giving me something else to image search. :)

Phil Mueller
02-13-2017, 8:36 AM
Chris, I like the design. One thing I've played with is instead of laminating two 1" thick boards together, sandwich a 1" board with two outside 1/2" boards. To my eye (especially when grain can't be well matched), it then appears a more purposeful design element versus looking like I was just glueing two boards together to get a thicker one.

Jim Becker
02-13-2017, 9:50 AM
Functionally, there's no issue with laminating to make thicker stock. But don't underestimate how difficult it's going to be to get those edges to look right, especially with a species like walnut. It's going to be hard to hide the glue line, quite frankly. As an alternative, you could keep the majority of the top at the 4/4 thickness and using a mitered joint, make the edge thicker which will make it easier to hide the joint if you are careful with grain and color matching. Then use a breadboard end to dress that part, just laminating a bit at the ends to give you something to work with. You'll use less material that way.

That all said...I agree with the sentiment that working with thicker lumber is actually the best choice, although it means buying material.

Chris McLeester
02-13-2017, 10:10 AM
Thanks, Jim. This is my first time working with walnut...good to have that info on glue lines.

Do you think the rest of the table would look odd laminated (legs, runner, etc.)? If not, then I could just buy wood for the top. Otherwise, it looks like perhaps another use is best.

Or maybe I'll give the miter suggestion that you and Jamie suggested.

Phil -- I'll run that design idea by the boss. She might like that!

Mel Fulks
02-13-2017, 10:29 AM
The mitres would work and make a table that ,most likely, wouldn't fall through the floor. Think the contrast between super beefy design and 'pin stripe' lamination would not be good.

Andrew Hughes
02-13-2017, 12:06 PM
It's going to be impossible to hide every laminated board in walnut.The glue line in the legs will show the most Beacuse of the way light hits it.It will be a line you cannot soften like the edge of the table.
There are ways around it but it's so much work it's not worth mentioning.
Good luck

andy bessette
02-13-2017, 12:17 PM
The bargain pile of walnut is better suited for the table top than the base you showed. You could choose a different base design or buy heavy material, if you are in love with that base.

Chris McLeester
02-13-2017, 2:05 PM
Thanks, everyone. Looks like that lumber is going to be looking for another project to call home! Back to the ash (which I can actually afford in thicker boards). :)