PDA

View Full Version : Losing my Ash

Steve Ash
10-13-2005, 8:32 PM
Ash borer war falters in Michigan - 10/13/05
Pest invades the U.P., threatens to spread into Wis.; could wipe out trees in eastern North America.

The discovery of the emerald ash borer in Michigan's Upper Peninsula is strong evidence the state is losing the battle with the deadly beetle that already has destroyed more than 15 million ash trees in the state, according to experts.

Scientists and wood industry experts fear that the prolific beetle, which reproduces by the thousands per tree, now will escape from the Upper Peninsula and move into Wisconsin.

With ash trees in Ohio, Indiana and Ontario under attack, some experts fear the pest could eventually wipe out the ash tree population of eastern North America.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0.../A01-347299.htm (http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0510/13/A01-347299.htm)

Jeff Sudmeier
10-13-2005, 9:16 PM
Man, that is bad news!! As of now, I am able to transport firewood for camping, but I am sure restrictions are coming!

Thanks for the update, hopefully we can figure something out to protect all of these trees!

Jim Young
10-13-2005, 10:36 PM
I've been in my house now for 3 1/2 years and have cut all the ash trees down. That's three full grown trees. Also had to cut one elm killed by Dutch elm disease. I'm quickly running out of trees.

scott spencer
10-14-2005, 7:54 AM
I read about the potential problem with ash about a year ago. That's really a shame...I love ash and had hoped to do alot of projects with it in the future.

Chip Charnley
10-14-2005, 9:22 AM
The sad thing is that they are cutting down all these ash trees and destroying them. :( They should be milling the large ones. There is no restriction on moving KD ash lumber. The bugs live under the bark in the sap wood. If that is trimmed off and the wood KD, the bugs are gone. :D

Andy Henriksen
10-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Man, that is bad news!! As of now, I am able to transport firewood for camping, but I am sure restrictions are coming!

Thanks for the update, hopefully we can figure something out to protect all of these trees!

Jeff, please consider changing this habit/tradition/convenience (restriction or otherwise). While EAB is the posterchild for firewood-transported pests, there is no telling what insect or disease will be next and what tree species it may be associated with. Firewood's relatively cheap. Buy it when you get there.