PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your wood screws?

Mike Manning
02-12-2017, 12:54 PM
I've generally bought wood screws at the big box stores (HD, Lowes). However, I think these screws, Grip-Rite, other brands I can't recall, are not the highest quality. After I had two 3" screws break off when I was trying to attach a SYP fence to a crosscut sled (yes, I had pilot holes but they could have been undersized), I decided I might need to start buying better quality screws. Just wondering where everyone buys there wood screws from? Of course, we all want the best quality at the lowest price. Thanks!

Michael Koons
02-12-2017, 1:01 PM
I use McFeely's. I just keep a tab on which sizes I need and order a few hundred at a time when I'm running low. I use the unplated steel wood screws.

Vijay Kumar
02-12-2017, 1:28 PM
I buy Spax at Home Depot or GRK at Lowes. These are both very high quality screws. Both of them have different varieties fro different applications.

Ben Rivel
02-12-2017, 2:04 PM
McMaster-Carr mostly, but eventually I plan to give McFeely's a try.

Bill Orbine
02-12-2017, 2:07 PM
In some cases.....you'll find the same brand that's sold in big box stores are better quality in the Mom n' Pop stores.

Alan Lightstone
02-12-2017, 2:14 PM
McFeely's. Been high quality every time I buy from them.

David Powell
02-12-2017, 5:40 PM
Ditto with McFeely's. Have always been happy with their selection and quality.

Sam Murdoch
02-12-2017, 6:40 PM
I finally gave up on trying new screw sources and pretty much exclusively use GRKs and GRIP RITE screws now.

• They are always available locally. • They come in all kinds of sizes. • They are all torque drives that can be set and reset without stripping out.

• They have drill tips so you can be pretty casual about pre drilling under many circumstances.

• Available with normal wood screw heads but also as trim screws and pan heads too for cabinet hanging.

• Useful for any work from framing to cabinetry to attaching trim to cabinetry etc.

• I pay a bit more up front but since I can buy these locally I don't pay any S&H.

This has been a long time developing and a good solution.

Victor Robinson
02-12-2017, 7:15 PM
Spax and GRK exclusively for me. Have gotten them in small quantities from the home centers or occasionally bulk packs for oft-used sizes on Amazon (or 3rd party sellers on Amazon).

The Deckmates (coated exterior screws) at the orange store are pretty decent screws as well.

Jim Becker
02-12-2017, 7:33 PM
McFeeley's is where I source the majority of my screws and I pretty much strictly use square drive/Robertson screws.

Rich Riddle
02-12-2017, 7:49 PM
McFeeley's is where I like to purchase but in a pinch the Home Depot sells screws. That said, the hardware from Home Depot doesn't compare well against McFeeley's hardware.

Mark Blatter
02-12-2017, 7:52 PM
I buy from either Wurth Louis or from a wholesale company locally, when I buy in bulk. For small numbers I check out Ace Hardware. I try not to buy from either of the Borg as the selection is limited and I don't like paying $1.19 for five screws.

Bill Adamsen
02-12-2017, 8:19 PM
For general construction and cabinet work my goto screw is GRK. They make a phenomenally consistent product. For bronze wood screws (Frearson) I have a local marine shop that is very reasonable and/or I purchase through Jamestown Distributors. For stainless typically I buy locally at West Marine. I've become so disgusted with the stuff that I buy at the local home center that I really try to avoid it.

Bruce Wrenn
02-12-2017, 8:56 PM
Pocket screws - Kreg, assembly screws - Wurth, drywall screws - Lowes, drawer slide screws- Wurth

Mike Manning
02-12-2017, 9:23 PM
I've never bought from McFeeley's. For those of you who do buy from them are you buying the McFeeley's brand? I guess the answer if probably yes as it seems that's the predominate brand they offer.

Robert Engel
02-13-2017, 8:09 AM
I've always had good luck with McFeeleys. Their square drive screws really hold well to the bit. You buy direct from them.

I, too, absolutely HATE most of the screws at HD mainly because the bits are too wobbly or the threads strip out too easily.

I recently bought some composite decking screws which were totally useless until I ground the end of the bit flat. WHY why why do they make screws like that?

Of all of them, I think Spax is the best and I use them all the time.

For screws under 2" long, I think the wood screws HD sells are ok.

Rich Konopka
02-13-2017, 9:04 AM
McFeely's are the best. Even SWBO uses them to notice the difference and swears by them.

roger wiegand
02-13-2017, 9:09 AM
For restoration work I scrounge yard sales and auctions for NOS pre-wwII stock. I haven't found any source of new screws that looks remotely appropriate-- nothing worse than seeing phillips head screws in an100 year old piano or organ. Like the Spax or GRK from the borg for general construction. Try to avoid metal fasteners whenever possible in my woodworking projects.

Roger Feeley
02-13-2017, 10:12 AM
I need to replenish some of my square drive screws. The McFeeleys site says there is some sort of dry lube on their unplated screws. Do they go in ok? Just looking at the images, it appears that plated screws might go in a little smoother. Of course I can always use a bit of paraffin..

michael langman
02-13-2017, 10:57 AM
Grattan Fasteners is a good place to buy hardware of most types.

Ken Kortge
02-13-2017, 12:37 PM
I need to replenish some of my square drive screws. The McFeeleys site says there is some sort of dry lube on their unplated screws. Do they go in ok? Just looking at the images, it appears that plated screws might go in a little smoother. Of course I can always use a bit of paraffin..

I think of zinc plating as being for corrosion resistance, not so much for lubrication. I don't know if the zinc plating has lower friction than the uncoated smooth steel - maybe.

McFeeleys says that the dry-lube is indeed purely for lubrication, and that it provides NO corrosion resistance.

For the most part, if the project will never be outdoors, then I'll use the dry-lube screws (they drive just fine), and if the project might be outdoors, then I'll use the NoCorRode Plus epoxy coated screws. For replacing corroded trailer screws I'll use stainless steel.

So far I've not really had a need for the zinc plated screws - yellow or clear. There was a day when I might try to use zinc coated hardware outside, but it almost always rusted eventually. No more.

Ken Kortge
02-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Lately I find myself intruqued by the idea of using Torx drive screws - as opposed to the square drive screws, but so far I'm sticking with McFeeley's square drive screws. Most of my bolts, nuts, washers, ... come from the local Ace Hardware. I appreciate the earlier comment about going to the Borg store only to find a packet of 5 bolts for way to much, and a packet of 8 nuts (never the same count on the two packets) for even more.

Mike Manning
02-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Lately I find myself intruqued by the idea of using Torx drive screws - as opposed to the square drive screws, ...

Why? Is one better than the other?

I only recently tried the Torx head on a deck screw and it certainly seemed solid, the same with a square head I tightened recently. I think I'm going to start using one or the other exclusively. I too am tired of the cheap phillips head screws from the big box stores stripping at the least bit of resistance or torque.

John LoDico
02-13-2017, 12:56 PM
When I was building a lumberyard skiff, I bought stainless steel screws from Marsh Fasteners and Grainger.

Sam Murdoch
02-13-2017, 1:34 PM
I have come to prefer torque over all others because they (the ones I mentioned in my 1st post - I'm sure there are other brands equally as good) just don't ever fail - even after driving and removing and redriving multiple times. I have taken things apart - out door construction - after several years of weathering and the screws still come out effortlessly. I could likely reuse them but in that case I generally do not.

The square drives require that I change out the driver tip often. I mostly use an impact driver these days - for everything including cabinetry and furniture type projects - with the impact force set differently as necessary. The square drive tips distort enough that they too frequently remain attached to the screws. Never have that happen with the TQS.

The TQS (my abbreviation) are just so dependable in all respects.

AND to John LoDico's post about stainless screws - they are certainly NOT ALL CREATED EQUAL. We could have another thread just to determine which of these are the best to use.

Mike Manning
02-13-2017, 2:17 PM
Thanks Sam and also to everyone for the good feedback. I'm gonna go Torx head from McFeeley's for my next few boxes of screws and see how they perform.

Lee Schierer
02-13-2017, 3:59 PM
No matter where you buy your screws, get in the habit of dragging the threads of any wood screw across a block of bees wax (not paraffin or soap) before driving the screw. The bees wax will lubricate the screw as it is driven and will require far less torque to drive it in than will an non-lubricated screw. For brass screws always thread the hole with a steel wood screw first and you won't break any brass screws. Soap will draw moisture, stain your wood and may corrode screws. Paraffin doesn't adhere well to the screw and basically just falls off.

John LoDico
02-13-2017, 4:10 PM
Can't argue with you about stainless steel screws. I used square head ones form Marsh -- 316 stainless I think. They were great (but expensive). For my woodworking I've been using the box store brand mentioned at the top. All I can say there is pilot hole, pilot hole, pilot hole.

Garth Almgren
02-13-2017, 5:17 PM
My local Ace has an amazing selection of hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, etc.) considering the small size of their store, but their wood screws are a little pricey. The Lowe's 6 miles away has 5# boxes of wood screws that appear to be the same quality as the ones from Ace for 3-4 dollars less per box.
We also have a local lumber store that has one of those old fashioned "grab a handful" lazy suzan bins full of screws and nails, but I haven't actually priced them out. It usually takes me a long time to go through a 5# box.

Davis Young
02-13-2017, 7:41 PM
In my opinion Torx is easier to engage than square drive, especially when the head is not visible, as anyone who has had to back out a square drive pocket screw can attest. Spax is my go-to choice and they have some Torx heads as well as combo (square and phillips) drive. I order them from McFeely's if I have enough advance notice, but usually I keep an assortment on hand. Home Depot has a limited selection when I'm in a pinch. For those who live by a Menard's, they have a better selection.

Cary Falk
02-15-2017, 6:08 AM
I have thousands of Craig pocket hole screws from when Sears and Lowe's was closing them out. I just use them. I don't use screws too much.

Rick Johnston
02-15-2017, 8:57 AM
I agree with what Sam said. Much prefer torx for the reasons he stated.

Chris Hachet
02-15-2017, 9:47 AM
I buy everything I can from Wood Werks supply here in Columbus. They give me excellent service, are highly ethical, and I have never had a serious problem with anything I ahve purchased from them. Every Screw I have bought from them has been just fine.

The only things they carry that I do not buy there are based upon nation of origin and not quality of item, but for Weed screws....everything they sell works fantastic.

Ken Kortge
02-15-2017, 11:53 AM
A while back I had replied to a McFeeley's Facebook post asking if they would consider offering Torx drive screws. They actually replied to me asking about my question. I responded saying that I was starting to see the benefits of Torx drive.

If you look, McFeeley's does have a "Star Drive" wood screws in a few sizes (10 x 2-1/2, 8 x 2-1/2, 8 x 1-3/4) in yellow zinc. I wonder if they are testing the waters to see if there is demand. If they offered a bit more variety (dry lube & NoCoRode) on McFeeley's screws I think I'd make the switch ... over time.

Chris Hachet
02-15-2017, 1:18 PM
McFeeley's is where I like to purchase but in a pinch the Home Depot sells screws. That said, the hardware from Home Depot doesn't compare well against McFeeley's hardware.

I try to avoid any big box store hardware whenever possible.