PDA

View Full Version : Rip Roarin' Rant!!!!

Ken Shoemaker
10-13-2005, 7:47 PM
Went to the local Rocklers which happens to be the only woodworkers store for miles around. They claim to have a "sharpening service" for chisles. Being that I am far from the fastest woodworker, and my daughter wants a wall clock for her college appartment, I sent 4 chisles and 4 hollow chisles that I recently bought but have not touched.

WELLLLL, a week later, they called and informed me that 52.80 would pick up the chisles. Shocked by the $6.60 per bill I figured, for a good job and time saved it surely would be worth it.

I picked up the chisles and found that they appeared to have been sharpened on a bench grinder. Knowing it was a bad day at work, and I could/would be rude at the drop of a hat, I held my tongue, paid my money and quietly left the store. As I walked out I noticed a flyer that advertises a demonstration of the TORMEK sharpening system this Saturday. I know they are fully aware of the quality expected in woodworking.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got me once, won't get me twice..... Guess I should go Saturday and buy the Tormek... Wouldn't that be ironic!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the ear..... Ken

Don Baer
10-13-2005, 7:52 PM
I went into my local Rocklers and was looking for a special (extra long blade for my Skroll saw and the guy told me to try XYZ sharpening service (a local company) since that who they send all of their sharping to and they could maybe make me one.

I'd talk to the manager of the store and let them know that your unhappy with the service for the price you paid. He needs to know that one of his vendors is doing sub-quality work so he doesn't loose customers over it.

Vaughn McMillan
10-13-2005, 7:53 PM
... Guess I should go Saturday and buy the Tormek... Wouldn't that be ironic!!!!!!!!

Or perhaps just take the chisels in on Saturday and suggest they use them for the demos? (Meanwhile pointing out that you're not happy with the job they already charged you for.)

- Vaughn

Ken Shoemaker
10-13-2005, 8:10 PM
Thanks guys.... Some great suggestions.... I'll give it a try....

Chris Barton
10-13-2005, 8:30 PM
Hi Ken,

Being a Tormek owner, I strongly endorse them as well. While expensive, they do everything they are advertised to do as well as many other chores. Sadly, few good sharpening services exist these days and it is largely due to labor costs and a general disposable mindset...

Gary Sutherland
10-13-2005, 8:32 PM
I would defintely take them in on Saturday and IN PUBLIC VIEW (but politely) ask the guy demoing the Tormek what he thinks of the job done on your chisels. You may, and SHOULD, get them redone by Rockler.

Let us know how it turns out...

Gary

Ed Lang
10-13-2005, 8:33 PM
I second the take them in on Saturday.
Maybe the person doing the demo will comment on how they were sharpened wrong and that will be your opening to just what happened. It would be nice to get them sharp to boot!

Good luck.

Andrew Ault
10-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Boy, that would steam my clams.

I expect to pay money for good quality and I'm not one to drill a vendor for every nickel. That said, I expect good service and good quality.

Fortunately, you are in the driver's seat in this situation. The question is, what is in your best interest? I don't think that making a scene would benefit you as well as some other options.

Personally, I would call and talk to the manager. The manager may not be aware of the quality problems with the sharpening service. The wise thing for them to do would be to refund your money and do whatever is required to make the chisels right. I say this because of the cost associated with aquiring a customer. Yes, they are the only game in town, but brown is everywhere. In my experience, less than this will be offered. At the least they should offer a refund or correction of the problem.

Rockler stores are not franchises, so if you are not satisfied at the local level, I'm certain that corporate would be eager to hear from you. Their telephone number is 763-478-8201. They are sophisticated marketers and I'm absolutely certain that they are fully cognisant of the future benefits of retaining your business. If they do not make this right, then they do not deserve your business.

But, that's just me.

Good luck!

- Andy

Maurice Ungaro
10-14-2005, 8:45 AM
Ken,
Since you're thinking about going there on Saturday, and leaning toward buying a Tormek, try this approach: Speak with the Rockler manager and express dissatisfaction - offer to buy a Tormek, if they discount it the $52.80 that you paid for a lousy sharpening job.

Ken Shoemaker
10-20-2005, 6:40 PM
Thanks to all. I took Andrew's advice and confronted the manager with my problem. She actualy looked shocked at the sight of the chisels. Without hesitation she offered my money back or send tham back to be resharpened. She warned me that the sharpening service will not "hone" them to that mirror that woodworkers expect. (Not sure why I'd continue to offer this service then, but I'm not the manager)

In closing, I got my money back and am still looking for someone to hone the chisels to that razor edge...

Again thanks to all for your support.....

Steve Schoene
10-20-2005, 8:50 PM
There is another lesson here. If you use chisels, you really need to be able to hone them. Once you get the knack, it will be quick, and the only way to consistently have sharp tools. Lots of help around here to make it a quick, painless thing to do.

Russ Massery
10-20-2005, 9:33 PM
Ken, I'm close by if you have time I could show how to hone them with waterstones. It takes a little practice but it's not hard. P.M. me if your interested.

Russ