PDA

View Full Version : A/V Cabinet

tim walker
02-12-2017, 1:21 AM
I need to build a function Audion/Video Rack system that will go in the insulated attic space and be remotely controlled from another room. Anyone built something like this before?

Jerry Miner
02-12-2017, 1:10 PM
Do you mean you're planning to put your A/V equipment on the "cold" (un-conditioned) side---of the insulation? Probably not good for the equipment, as un-insulated attics can get very hot in summer.

Or do you mean you want to build an insulated space for the equipment that is tied into the house HVAC system?

tim walker
02-12-2017, 2:16 PM
No, I have spray foam insulation in the house. The thermal protection is against the roof. The hottest I have ever recorded was about 90F and coldest about 60F

Jerry Miner
02-12-2017, 3:17 PM
OK. So you're just asking about building a cabinet to fit your A/V equipment? Or a rack system? Like this (http://www.middleatlantic.com/products/racks-enclosures/slide-out-racks/srsr-series-slide-out-rotating-rail-system.aspx)?

I've built lots of cabinets for A/V systems, but I don't know quite what you are asking

David L Morse
02-12-2017, 3:28 PM
When you say "rack system" are you talking about something for mounting standard 19" rack mount equipment? If so, then yes, I've built several hundred of this style:

You wouldn't need all of the flight case hardware in that photo, just the rack rails. They're readily available, for example here (http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-RAX-RKRL6-LIST).

tim walker
02-12-2017, 3:38 PM
No, since this will be going in the attic it will be very simple for storage of A/V processor, amp, BluRay, CD Player, and turntable plus FIRETV and Tablo OTA DVR.. Let me emphasize that this is in an easily accessible (walk-in) attic space. It will have wheels on bottom for ease of access to the read for hookup. Will probably be made of 3/4" Baltic birch that I have laying around. I guess my question to the group is what are your thoughts on ventilation since the AV processor and amp generate a good bit of heat. My thoughts are either two sides with multiple dados cut or holes for pins for the shelves. I was also thinking about holes in the shelves for ventilation from beneath. Looking for guidance of any sort on max width say components are 15" Is it 1/2" on each side or do i need 4-6" on each side. My turntable will sit on top for easy access.

tim walker
02-12-2017, 3:42 PM
When you say "rack system" are you talking about something for mounting standard 19" rack mount equipment? If so, then yes, I've built several hundred of this style:

You wouldn't need all of the flight case hardware in that photo, just the rack rails. They're readily available, for example here (http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-RAX-RKRL6-LIST).

So David, the Raxxess would go in to my cabinet for holding up the pieces of equipment vs my thoughts on just a solid shelf with holes or a cut out?

David L Morse
02-12-2017, 5:04 PM
So David, the Raxxess would go in to my cabinet for holding up the pieces of equipment vs my thoughts on just a solid shelf with holes or a cut out?

That depends upon your equipment. If most of your units include provisions for rack mounting then you might want to use the rack rails. Non rack mount equipment could be accommodated with fixed or movable shelves. There are also rack mount shelves that you can buy.

If you're not using equipment intended for rack mounting then just build something with shelves to fit what you have. No need to complicate things with rack rails.

Nathan Ginder
02-12-2017, 7:07 PM
You may want to look into some sort of active cooling (fan); I wouldn't expect passive cooling to do much if ambient temps. are approaching 90 degrees. I work in the A/V industry and we monitor all our racks for high heat, we set the high thermal threshold alarm at 90 degrees (that's inside the rack). Cooling could be as simple as a amp cooler fan which just sits on top of the amp circulating air, or larger cfm fan on top of cabinet pulling hot air out, ultimately the thermal management really depends on the rack/cabinet design, and where your electronics vent. (top/bottom, or front/rear)

As for sizing, the standard width for A/V gear is 17 to 17.25"... I'd suggest making your adjustable shelves 22" x 22", this would be enough room for most anything out there with space on sides for ventilation.