PDA

View Full Version : Question about lasering off paint

Josh Seiders
02-11-2017, 3:26 PM
Hello, long time lurker first time poster. I have kind of a weird question. A customer wants us to laser engrave a painted stainless box mod for a vaporizer ie (Customer paints it then we laser it so the stainless steel underneath shows up). The customer doesn't want the steel showing except for the image so Cermark is out. What I am wondering is is there a certain paint he should use to cover it before we laser his image into it. I know next to nothing about paint and just want to make sure I can inform him of something that will last and not chip or anything. Thank you in advance!!!

Lawrence Richards
02-11-2017, 9:11 PM
Powder coat is the best thing for covering steel - it is a bit more involved than painting, but makes a skin which is very durable and lasers off easily

Lawrence

Kev Williams
02-11-2017, 9:45 PM
I've been lasering paint off aluminum, steel and SS plates and panels for years, never had a problem.

Your 40w Gravograph LS800 is just a smaller version of my LS900, you should have no problem either... :)

Joe Pelonio
02-12-2017, 7:47 PM
1Shot or another high quality oil based paint is best to adhere, and I would also rub first with steel wool, unless that ruins the shiny effect they are looking for on the exposed SS.