PDA

View Full Version : Magazine storage box

Gene Collison
10-13-2005, 6:49 PM
This is a magazine storage box that I built to store my WW magazines and catalogs in to reduce the clutter around the house. I started it by building one of the sleeve holders as a prototype. It turned out well enough to use so I continued on and made three more. I got the idea from watching a David Marks episode, it is loosely based on his design. The construction is mostly by power tools, the dovetails were machined on an Akeda jig, the carcass construction is mini floating tenons AKA Lamello #20 biscuits, more than strong enough for a small project like this. The dark wood is Peruvian walnut, the sides of the sleeves is poplar both resawed to 5/16 from 13/16 stock. The case is built totally from one hard maple board. The end result is going to be a very useful piece of furniture to have around. If I had to build another one, my choice of woods may be different, I’m not sure if I like the starkness of the maple although it will mellow out with time. With hindsight I think cherry may have been a better choice,

Gene

Don Baer
10-13-2005, 6:53 PM
Very nice and a realy cool Idea.

Great form fit and finish

Bob Noles
10-13-2005, 7:32 PM
Gene,

Like Don said.... that is really a cool idea.

I have been debating on how to best store my 80 something issues of ShopNotes and I think you may have just triggered exactly the right solution.

Are there any plans or detailed measurements that you could share in addition to what you already have?

I really like it. Thanks for sharing with us.

Corey Hallagan
10-13-2005, 7:53 PM
Great looking storage there! Excellent, thanks for the post and photos.

Corey

Gene Collison
10-13-2005, 8:36 PM
Gene,

I have been debating on how to best store my 80 something issues of ShopNotes and I think you may have just triggered exactly the right solution.

Are there any plans or detailed measurements that you could share in addition to what you already have?

Hi Bob,

Sorry no plans but if you want more dimensions than here PM me. I started by making one sleeve 5 1/4" wide X 9 1/4" deep X 12" high from 5/16 material. I then built the other three sleeves, placed a 1/16" shim between the sleeves and took a measurement. This became my inside case dimension. My inside height dimension for the box is 3/16" taller than the sleeves. I have a 1/2" reveal on the top and bottom. I cut a 1/2 rabbit in the back on the router table and used 1/2" BB ply for the back. The floor in the sleeve is 1/4" BB sitting in a 1/4" dado. That's about it basically, The pulls are cut on a router table. Thanks for the nice comment. BTW, you can build it with as many sleeves as you like. One word of caution, if you collect Fine Woodworking magazines, it is wider thean the others, DAMHIKT!

gene

Dev Emch
10-13-2005, 8:55 PM
Sweet! Nice job!

John Miliunas
10-13-2005, 8:56 PM
Ahhhh yes...Worth the wait, Gene! That turned out super!!! :) Very classy look, IMHO. Wonderful detail, the DT's came out great and I just love those pulls! You've definitely inspired me. Hey, how about a little detail on your finishing regime? :) Problem is, with all the WW rags I have, I'll need about a half 'o dozen of them!:eek: Well done, my friend! Guess I'll have to dig out those DVD's again!:D :) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
10-13-2005, 9:01 PM
Gene, that looks wonderful! I should build one of those, then maybe LOML would get off my case!! However, like John, it would take me 3 or 4 to have enough room! :)

Gene Collison
10-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Gene, that looks wonderful! I should build one of those, then maybe LOML would get off my case!! However, like John, it would take me 3 or 4 to have enough room! :)

Sounds familiar Jeff, that had a lot to do with me building it too! I may be building another too. Seems like I need one in every room.

Gene

Jon Olson
10-14-2005, 9:52 AM
Gene,
Great project...That is one of my favorite projects from DJMarks and have plans to make a set in the near future.

The contrast is very bold.

Jon

Charles Bruno
10-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Gene,

Bob, go to diynet.com look at the Wood Works link. Magazine Storage Boxes - Episode WWK-408. This is the plans from his show

Dan Racette
10-14-2005, 10:12 AM
I like your DT's better than the finger joints that he used in that episode. :) Good job!!

Keith Burns
10-14-2005, 10:16 AM
I can't add much to whats already been said. That is really a great looking project.

Christian Aufreiter
10-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Nice job, I really like those boxes.

Regards,

Christian

Jason Tuinstra
10-14-2005, 10:51 AM
WW Magazines deserve the best - and you gave it to them! Great job with this project. The dovetails look great along with the contrasting wood.

Don Baer
10-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Sweet! Nice job!

Thats got to be the shortest post you've ever made Dev....;)

Gene Collison
10-15-2005, 12:40 PM
I appreciate all of the nice compliments. Thanks guys.........

Gene

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-15-2005, 1:51 PM
Good Lookin' Project. Nice Dovetails.

Bruce

Karl Laustrup
10-15-2005, 3:20 PM
Beaautiful case Gene. And thanks for the dimensions as I need storage for my WW mags also.

Might I inquire as to what, if anything, the magazine bins slide on? Wood to wood or perhaps plastic runners?

TIA.

Karl

Gene Collison
10-15-2005, 5:18 PM
Beaautiful case Gene. And thanks for the dimensions as I need storage for my WW mags also.

Might I inquire as to what, if anything, the magazine bins slide on? Wood to wood or perhaps plastic runners?

TIA.

Karl

Thanks Karl, just wood to wood and they slide like they are waxed. No need for runners.

Gene

Pete Harbin
10-15-2005, 5:25 PM
Really nice Gene!