PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 4x24 belt sander discontinued

jack duren
02-11-2017, 9:08 AM
Was looking to see what the current price was on the 4x24 Bosch sander and many are saying discontinued. Are they?

Bill Orbine
02-11-2017, 9:34 AM
Yes, they are discontinued. Probably at least three years ago.

jack duren
02-11-2017, 9:49 AM
Best belt sander out there....thx

jack duren
02-11-2017, 10:00 AM
I actually had to sit back and soak that in. If all we have left is Porter Cable belt sanders we are all screwed....

Jamie Buxton
02-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Belt sanders in general have disappeared from the market. It used to be that every tool company offered several. Now a lot of tool companies don't offer them at all, or offer flimsy little things. When I ran into this a couple years ago, I wound up trolling Craigslist for a couple months until I found a used Bosch 3x21 in reasonable condition.

Marty Schlosser
02-11-2017, 10:19 AM
That is indeed a shame. Similarly, a have a venerable Elu 3" X 21" variable speed belt sander which alas, has also long since been discontinued.

If you want to see who is responsible for such unfortunate corporate decisions, I would suggest we all look in the mirror. On this side of the Atlantic we have a penchant for demanding very high quality ... but are willing only to pay a pitance to get it. Manufactures, in turn, respond to the market and what we now have is, in great part, a reflection of having chosen primarily with our wallets. It is also a reflection - albeit to a lesser degree - of the growing and widespread use of the latest generation of random orbit sanders.

jack duren
02-11-2017, 12:34 PM
They have several PC sanders at the shop but I prefer to use the Bosch because of the dust collection. Guess I will have to start buying them as I find them. Have a 4x24 PC sander at the shop, but never use...

So what else is missing from Bosch these days?.....

The price of a Bosch 4x24 new wasn't out of range for what it does...