PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 66 question

Dick Brown
02-10-2017, 7:38 PM
A guy here in town has what appears to be a Powermatic 66 in pieces that he may sell but having a hard time coming up with a price. As I said, it is totally dismantled and painted a gosh awful orange, looks like with a broom. Appears like all the parts are there at first look. Motor is a 1-1/2 h.p. U.S made which I was rather surprised at, expecting to see 3 h.p. Would have thought it a 65 with 1-1/2h.p. but it has the wide spaced trunions. Could see no broken parts or missing teeth on the gears. Table extension one side only. No dust door and basically no fence as it looks like it is not worth repairing. I build Biesemeyer clones so the fence is not a problem other than the $75. for steel and the time. My questions are, ever see a 66 with 1-1/2 h.p. motor and what would you think this pile of parts would be worth? I refurbish old table saws as a hobby but have never done a Powermatic.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Dick

Jim Becker
02-10-2017, 8:48 PM
It might be a really, really old one with a motor of that rating. Earlier cabinet saws from multiple manufacturers were available with 1.5 HP or similar motors, although those motors were sometimes better than what is sold today with the same rating.

Matt Day
02-10-2017, 10:04 PM
It can't be that old - post 1966. What color is the original paint? If green it'san older one.
Sounds like you'd be buying parts to a Powermatic 66, and parts that need a cleaning and paint and reassembly (of which you may be missing parts), all of which which is no small task. I'd offer $100 max.

Doug Ladendorf
02-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Wide trunnions sound like '60's era. My 1968 66 has them. High quality bones there if no breaks etc. I'd go a bit higher than Matt, maybe $200-400 depending on the variables. Needs work which you seem ready to do. Note that if you replace the motor that era had a slightly longer shaft to accommodate the three-sheave pulley. Mine has 2hp and so far have not needed more. Check the amp draw for better comparison than "HP."

Doug

Martin Wasner
02-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Sounds like you'd be buying parts to a Powermatic 66, and parts that need a cleaning and paint and reassembly (of which you may be missing parts), all of which which is no small task. I'd offer $100 max.

Matt has taken the thoughts inside my head and converted it to text.

Wayne Jolly
02-11-2017, 1:00 PM
Does it have the serial number plate?

Dick Brown
02-11-2017, 3:57 PM
Far as I could see no s.n. plate but could be hiding under the .5" of orange paint. Some of the parts are in a box that I didn't dig to the bottom of so could be there also. Haven't heard anything from them so don't know which one is winning the "sell/don't sell" game.
I am inclined to go along with Matt on the $100 price or maybe less if, looking closer, there is anything missing. Looks a lot like maybe someone thought about restoring it but lost interest or life situations changed. Arbor shaft and bearings are out, trunions are removed, etc. Obviously painted long time ago.

Don Jarvie
02-11-2017, 5:07 PM
Plently of parts are available. Even if you pay 200 once your done you'll have a saw to last a lifetime.

John McClanahan
02-12-2017, 8:22 AM
1.5 hp motor was an option on the PM 66. I bought a used 66 with a 5 hp 3 phase motor. I installed a 1.5 hp motor so I could use the saw while deciding what I wanted to to about a motor. It's been 5 or 6 years now and it still has the 1.5 hp on it. I don't feel any need to change it.

John

andy bessette
02-12-2017, 11:53 AM
Nothing wrong with the 1.5 hp motor. But I agree on the ~$100 price for a project saw that has been molested by amateurs.

Jeff Duncan
02-12-2017, 6:43 PM
Don't know what I'd pay, but if he has half a brain he can make quite a bit more than $100 selling the left over parts he has on e-bay! I think the $200 - $300 neighborhood depending on exactly what parts are there and what are missing.

good luck,
JeffD

Dick Brown
02-14-2017, 6:43 PM
Well,
I went, talked to the man and he said they would sell the saw. He said is it worth $200 and I said how about $150 if all the parts are there and nothing broken. He said O.K. so came home, printed out the parts breakdown and went back this morning. Looked like the parts were all there but the front casting has a corner broken off and gone and was not at all like the picture. Also the motor, 1.5h.p. and is not TEFC. The parts list I have printed said a 2 h.p. was the smallest on a PM 66. After doing a lot more research, it looks like the front trunion is very much like the 65 but the rear one is different than a 65 or any of the 66's parts breakdowns that have been downloaded. It does have the rear trunion hanging from the sides of the cabinet and clear at the rear. Perhaps this is a very early 66. maybe just after the 65's. Anyway, I passed on the old girl. At 82, I don't need the experience.
P.S.
After looking at the PM 65 parts breakdown, it looks like they just moved the 65 rear trunion to the back of the cabinet and put the wide spaced 66 type unit in.

Rich Riddle
02-14-2017, 6:45 PM
Dick,

I am extremely reluctant to purchase something in parts. There are too many parts that may or may not go together floating around and you won't know until you try to rebuild. You made the right choice.

Doug Ladendorf
02-16-2017, 11:15 AM
Good call. Sounds like it could be various collected parts rather than a whole saw. I know at 82 I will want to make things rather than hunt down parts and do a full restore.

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 1:03 PM
Good call. Sounds like it could be various collected parts rather than a whole saw. I know at 82 I will want to make things rather than hunt down parts and do a full restore.I am that way at 51....bought a used Unsiaw only because it was absolutely complete and in pretty decent shape for its age.

Darcy Warner
03-06-2017, 1:43 PM
I bought a couple planers that were in pieces. Two of the best deals ever.

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 2:00 PM
I bought a couple planers that were in pieces. Two of the best deals ever.If the price is right, yes absolutely. I have money in my pocket right now and am trying to only buy what I absolutely need for woodworking as space is at a premium in my shop. In the strongest possible sense, I wish that my wife had not suggested looking at Craigslist, Ebay, and sites like OWWM for old tools.

The addiction is strong....the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...

mark kosse
03-06-2017, 8:36 PM
My oem 1976 manual states a maximum of 2 hp on a pm66 so 1.5 isn't out of line for the time.

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 10:35 PM
My oem 1976 manual states a maximum of 2 hp on a pm66 so 1.5 isn't out of line for the time.1.5 is plenty but I prefer 3.