PDA

View Full Version : Can you apply Powdercoat in a slurry form?

Neville Stewart
02-10-2017, 6:24 PM
Is there anything you can mix pic with to apply with a brush or pallette knife or ???

George Bokros
02-10-2017, 6:28 PM
Powder coating is applied in dry powder form electrostaticly. I was in the industry for over 5 years and know of no other way to apply it.

Neville Stewart
02-10-2017, 7:03 PM
I guess I should have searched first. Apparently there are a number of liquid powdered coatings that can be sprayed or painted and then oven cured. I'm off to the lab. :)

Lyle Cheredaryk
02-10-2017, 8:50 PM
Neville,
I think you may be looking for a product like this one.It does what you are talking about. Never used it so I have no idea how well it works.
https://youtu.be/-cSqvlZ621s

Lyle Cheredaryk
02-10-2017, 9:03 PM
Here is a supplier for a similar product called "liquid 2 powder"
https://www.powderbuythepound.com/liquid_2_powder_-1_pint.html

Bill George
02-12-2017, 7:50 AM
I have used on a limited basis Liquid Poweder coating. You need a old blender to get completly mixed.

Neville Stewart
02-12-2017, 9:08 AM
I have used on a limited basis Liquid Poweder coating. You need a old blender to get completly mixed.
My curiosity is to try to lase it to stainless enough to fix in place and then oven cure it.

Dennis Rech
02-17-2017, 12:32 AM
Is there anything you can mix pic with to apply with a brush or pallette knife or ???

I first saw this on a model making forum.
These are the guys that make little wood and metal Star Wars type models.
For touching up powder coatings and for adding contrasting colors for insignia and details, they mix the powder coating material with MEK to make a plastic paint. They then brush or air brush it on and after drying overnight, hit it with a hot air gun or put it back in the toaster oven.
I have used this method on wood parts and metal parts and usually, it works very well.
The brush marks go away with heat.
Make very sure that the MEK has fully evaporated off. If there is any MEK left after drying, bubbles will form.
The low temp powder that I have melts before the wood starts to burn.
This seem the best method to fix nicks and chips in powder coating.
I have only used this method to put small details over previously coated items, but a friend now uses it to detail some rather large items.