PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Pyrimid

Roger McDowell
02-10-2017, 3:40 PM
I've been asked to make a four sided pyramid from .25" acrylic sheets. Wouldn't the cuts have to be beveled to fit properly? Anyone have any experience with such?

Gary Hair
02-10-2017, 3:58 PM
The four sides would be 90 degrees and the only beveling would be at the apex where the sides meet. The slant angle would dictate the bevel, which you could probably figure out with a bit of math, but I would probably cut to sides oversize a bit and sand them down to fit.

Mike Null
02-10-2017, 5:19 PM
If you want a pro look they'll have to be beveled at a 45 degree angle. You can cut to size with the laser and bevel them with a router.

The bottoms will have to be beveled as well but you'll need to determine that by the angle of incline.

Joe Pelonio
02-10-2017, 7:24 PM
Yes, bevel with a router, but CNC would be a better method than laser for that job. Either way, you will have to flame polish the machined edges before cementing to look good. You could butt fit them and avoid bevel I guess but the customer might not like seeing the exposed edges.

Clark Pace
02-10-2017, 8:02 PM
If you flame polish then try and cement you will crze th acrylic.

John Blazy
02-11-2017, 7:35 PM
Totally agree with Clark. Never cement a lasered edge, and especially a flame polished edge. Cast acrylic is best, and annealing is often needed. laser out the parts, then mill the bevels.

Roger McDowell
02-12-2017, 8:41 PM
I don't have a mill to bevel the edge so a butt joint would appear to be my only option and I don't think that would look good enough. Thanks for your inputs.

Art Mann
02-12-2017, 11:00 PM
I would refer you to the website below. The angles are not quite as simple as some believe.

http://www.pdxtex.com/canoe/compound.htm