PDA

View Full Version : Need help on Centauro "C" 900 bandsaw setup blades etc.

Jeff Nichols
02-10-2017, 1:43 AM
I'm the new owner of a used Centauro Vertical Bandsaw, "C" model, It currently has a 7.5 hp. motor on it, and it is geared to turn about 5491.86 FPM. Which seems fast for me. 2" wide, by 36" wheels.

It has a 2" (measures 2.25 from back of blade to front of tooth) on it and the blades I got with it are all used, some steel some carbide tipped. Length of blade is 21' feet, measured around it, off the machine.

Initial questions is the HP correct or under rated? What should be the FPM of the blade?

What else do I need to know? I want to resaw 6" thick hardwoods and soft woods, new lumber already S4S from the mill, that is KDried with it. I don't need heavy production runs, just a reasonable feed rate for running 200 lin. feet per use, or something close to that. My point is that I'm not running this 6-8 hrs a day. This is for production runs, more than hobby, but nothing like a "saw mill". Cooks told me they think the HP is way under rated, and that I can't run any of their 2" blades, and that if I were, their blades need to run at 5400 lin. ft per min, what?? I asked twice and she confirmed that. Otherwise the saw dust will not clear from the gullet. Like I said I'm new to all of this, and I don't know what I don't know!!! They also recommend me to this forum to find out more info. So here I am.

What kind of blade, hp, speed, etc. should I go for?

Let me know if you have further questions, feedback, etc. PS motor turns at 1750 220, 3 phase.

thanks,
Jeff

Darcy Warner
02-10-2017, 8:50 AM
That's not really that fast, my saws actually run a bit faster and some big saws fun even faster.
7.5hp should be more than plenty. I am more than happy with the 3 to 5hp motors on my old direct drive saws.

2" wide blades are unnecessary.