PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Mini18 25watt

James Aldrich
10-13-2005, 2:01 PM
Hello everyone. I have been watching this forum for some time now, and I must say you are a great group of people. I just now joined the group. I was wondering if anyone has used or has the Epilog Mino18 25W laser. I am new to lasers, and was looking at purchasing the mini18 25W as a starting system. My wife and I are on a tight budget, and the price of the 25w mini is affordable. We are looking at doing glass and marble tile. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Joe Pelonio
10-13-2005, 2:25 PM
I'd make sure they do a demo for you on a marble tile, and also cutting 1/4" wood and acrylic. My Epilog is 45 watts and I do marble at 100% power, if you go slow it could be too low a resolution for photos, and
you will at some point want to cut 1/4".

Bob Tate
10-13-2005, 2:26 PM
Hi, I have the Mini 18 35 Watt. Mighty fine piece of hardware. I spent weeks trying to decide on a bigger table, more power, etc.
I find that the 35 Watt has enough poser for anything I could possibly want. A 25 Watt may require you to go a little slower but will get the job done just fine. The only thing I am not sure about is if you wanted to cut wood, like a quarter inch. The 25 Watt may require you to slow down enough that you get a lot of burned edges. Some people say you can burn in two passes. I have had no luck there, the edges are too burned. I am sure the 25 will suffice for anything else.
You can get a lot of great help around here. There is lots of experience hanging out here. I am not sure how much is with the Mini. If you need it, let me know and I will give you my e-mail address and I can help you out if you need it.

Bob

Lee DeRaud
10-13-2005, 2:43 PM
Ok, a slightly contrary opinion: 25W is plenty for cutting 1/4" wood of most common species. There are some species (mainly oily exotics) that just burn, but I don't think more power will help all that much.

Yes, the edges will burn somewhat. But if the edges are going to show, it's not that big a deal to sand off the burned edge surface...it's typically less than 1/64" deep. For things like inlay, the edge won't show anyway, especially if you mirror-cut from the back side to get tighter joints.

Joe Pelonio
10-13-2005, 5:39 PM
Bob,

When you tried 2 passes did you refocus? Mine's 45 watts rated to cut 3/8" acrylic, and I had a guy that wanted 1/2". I made one pass with settings for 1/2", then manually focused with a piece of 1/4" in, then
ran it without autofocus and it worked. There was a slight difference in the normally glossy edge, if you looked close you could see where the
first cut ended, but wood might work better.

rich shepard
10-13-2005, 6:18 PM
Hi All
I have a Mini 18 35 watt and love it. What I do on thicker stuff is set the focus brelow the surface and that seems to work most of the time. i'M always cutting 1/4 inch woods for boxes and models. The only one that gives me fits is hard Maple and plywood. Give Phill a Call and he can demo for you but he hard to get at times.
rich

Bob Tate
10-13-2005, 6:43 PM
Hey guys, I did not mean I can't cut 1/4" stuff. On occassion I have tried the 2 pass thing and just get too much burning on the edge. I really think my 35 Watt is running higher than that. It seems like all of the settings I read use far more poser than I need.

My point was, I don't know what will happen with a 25 Watt machine when you try to cut thicker stuff.

I like mine right where I am at.

Lee DeRaud
10-13-2005, 6:46 PM
i'M always cutting 1/4 inch woods for boxes and models. The only one that gives me fits is hard Maple and plywood.The problem with plywood is the glue: just about stops the beam dead in its tracks. I've had rather good luck with regular/soft maple though, haven't tried any hard maple yet. Haven't seen any hard maple here at a reasonable price, come to think of it.

rich shepard
10-13-2005, 9:29 PM
The problem with plywood is the glue: just about stops the beam dead in its tracks. I've had rather good luck with regular/soft maple though, haven't tried any hard maple yet. Haven't seen any hard maple here at a reasonable price, come to think of it.

Hi Lee
I know it's the glue so have started using aircraft lite ply. With that I can cut 1/8th with the same setting as for 1/16th regular ply.
As for the Maple I get mine from the saw mill up the road and a lot of it is birds eye or figured and hard. If you need some let me know and i will see what he has in stock, last time I was up there he was out of good stuff in 1/4+ so I ended up re-sawing some.