PDA

View Full Version : No school today, woohoo. Let it snow yeah boy.

Dave Macy
02-09-2017, 8:52 AM
This means I can make some more $ plowing with the tractor and may be able to afford to upgrade my lighting soon.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-09-2017, 9:10 AM
Snow days sound a lot more fun than hurricane days.

Dick Latshaw
02-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Snow days sound a lot more fun than hurricane days.

I'll second that. :mad:

Jim Koepke
02-09-2017, 11:33 AM
This time of year we keep extra provisions just in case of "snow days."

Our driveway is about 300' to the road and I ain't about to go shovel that. Besides, the other day we had about 6" of snow and the snow plows didn't get there until late in the afternoon. We put off shopping for a couple of days to avoid the bad road conditions.

I was able to putter around the shop for a few hours. It is more fun than shopping even if there isn't heat.

jtk

David Helm
02-09-2017, 1:45 PM
Had nearly a foot of snow at our place. Our town and county do not own snow removal equipment since we so seldom get real snow. I didn't have any trouble getting around with my Subaru Forester. Our last real snow (3 to 4 feet) was in 1996.

Brent Cutshall
02-09-2017, 9:27 PM
I didn't get no durn snow day, we just got a dusting here. Stupid clouds! :mad:

Bruce Wrenn
02-10-2017, 8:50 AM
Our road used to be the last road in county to get plowed. When they got to it, the snow is almost completely gone. A total waste of time and fuel. Now with a fire dept located a couple miles up the road, local town clears, sands and salts it, almost before it snows. The fire trucks have to go down and up a steep hill, with curves and a narrow bridge.

Dave Anderson NH
02-10-2017, 12:26 PM
20F outside right now with a stiff breeze and bright sunshine. Quite pretty really. We got 16" yesterday with more on the way tomorrow, possibly Sunday, and certainly on Monday.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2017, 12:48 PM
We have had snow on the ground here for 9 weeks. That is unusual for Lewiston, ID. We live in what is referred to as "The Banana Belt". Typical snow here lasts about 3-6 days before it warms up and melts off. In the 34 years we have lived here, we have never had snow on the ground this long. Our city is stepped up the side of a hill with 3 different levels. We live on the top level. At one point, there was over 8" of snow, hard packed and turned to ice on the street in front of our house. It warmed up, melted off but the yards and driveways still had the problem. Then we had another 3" and finally the city's one snow plow showed up on our street. Really? For what? It was a mere 3" of fluffy powder. With the city only having one snow plow, we are last on the list to see it's presence. LOL!

My wife flew home from California on Wednesday. The plane she was on stopped about 1/4 mile from the terminal. Long story short, the pilot made 2 passes before he could land in the whiteout conditions. In the course of making a wide turn trying find the taxiway in the snow, he put the left wing tire and the nose tire off the concrete into the snow and mud. A local school bus and transit authority bus was brought in to transfer the passengers to the terminal. Their luggage was brought to the terminal by pickups.

We drove to Spokane later Wednesday afternoon in whiteout conditions as I had 2 appointments at my CI clinic there; on Thursday. Thursday afternoon as we were departing the 2nd appointment, the audiologist mentioned the weather where upon my wife told about her airline adventure. The audiologist laughed and said he saw video of the plane on the news at one of the Spokane television stations Wednesday evening.

Yesterday it started melting off rapidly with temperatures in the high 40's. We have a flood watch out until noon tomorrow.

Garth Sheane
02-10-2017, 2:16 PM
I live on central Vancouver Island. Been here for 28 years, most winters have very little snow. Years can go by and I don't even start the snow blower. But man, did we make up for it this week. We don't get any wind with the snow, it just comes straight down and piles up, wet and heavy. When it finally stopped snowing yesterday, I stuck a yardstick in the back yard and the snow was 27 inches deep, even after settling. Hope my shop roof doesn't let go!

Bruce Page
02-10-2017, 2:27 PM
73 & sunny today. I'll be doing some yard work this afternoon.
Storm with high winds expected on Sunday.