PDA

View Full Version : First Time Laser Purchase - Epilog Mini 18 - 40W or Trotec RayJet 50

reid greene
02-09-2017, 2:11 AM
Hello everyone. I have been lurking on this forum for the last few weeks trying to learn all I can in preparation for my first laser purchase. This is an awesome forum! I have learned so much from reading all the threads pertaining to the units that I am considering.

I little bit about me. I am an IT professional by day and a hobby Woodworker in the evenings. I have an online store where I sell some of my wood crafts. I would like to enhance my crafts by personalizing them and adding new laser engraved products to the store. So I plan to work with wood (very little cutting), leather, glassware, coated metals and stainless steel (Cermark). This will remain a hobby for the foreseeable future.

I have narrowed my choices to the Epilog Mini-18 40 watt and the Trotec RayJet 50 watt. I have received quotes from both vendors and they are close in price. Beside the unit itself, I plan on getting the rotary and the cutting table.

I have read both user manuals and have watched many, many videos. I have seen the Epilog in action and I am trying to get a demo of the RayJet to see firsthand how it performs. After which, I will be ready to pull the trigger on this baby! Getting really excited about expanding my hobby.

Question: Is buying a laser similar to buying a car where the price can be negotiated or is the quote THE price? I understand that these lasers are on the low end of their product lines so there may not be much room to negotiate but any movement in my favor would be welcomed.

From my research, here is what I believe to be the pros (+) and cons (-) for each unit.

Epilog Mini-18
(-) Small air compressor needed for air assist
(+) More versatile job management software
(+) Easy re-positioning of origin (home)
(+) Ethernet port for wireless communication from my desktop PC in my man cave
(+) Servo motor

Trotec RayJet 50
(-) I would need a new laptop to connect directly via USB
(-) Stepper motor
(+) 10 watts more powerful
(+) no air compressor needed for air assist
(+) Better sealed from debris
(+) Better rotary - based on opinions of this forum

If you are familiar with both of these units, I would love to hear your list of pros and cons. Or, if you have one of these units, I would like to hear about your experience. If you have additional questions for me, let me know.

John Lifer
02-09-2017, 8:06 AM
Where are you? Please add to your signature line! I dont own either, others will continue to giv you conflicting information :rolleyes:

I think you wont go wrong if you buy either. Personally I have seen more issues posted with the mini, but that could just be there are more of these out there. Both seem to have good customer service. My real reason to post is there is a trade show in Florida NBM next weekend and one in Las Vegas. One in Arlington tx next month. If you are close to either location you can get in by registering and since you do sell your goods, it is no problem and you can see both at same time.

Keith Downing
02-09-2017, 8:07 PM
Where are you? Please add to your signature line! I dont own either, others will continue to giv you conflicting information :rolleyes:

I think you wont go wrong if you buy either. Personally I have seen more issues posted with the mini, but that could just be there are more of these out there. Both seem to have good customer service. My real reason to post is there is a trade show in Florida NBM next weekend and one in Las Vegas. One in Arlington tx next month. If you are close to either location you can get in by registering and since you do sell your goods, it is no problem and you can see both at same time.

To add to this, the real benefit of the trade shows is often a discounted price on the machines. Discounts seem to vary, but there usually are always some discounts given. These also happen to be really the only price breaks you can get on the machines, although I believe sawmill creek does (or did) have a discount price deal with one of the companies that is a sponsor here.

reid greene
02-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Thanks John and Keith. One vendor has sent me their discounts/sales that are available at the current show in Las Vegas. He said that the offer is good for a week after the show. I live in Pittsburgh and the closest NBM show to me will be Secaucus NJ but it isn't until August. I looked up flights for the Arlington show and they aren't bad so I am seriously thinking about attending. The 3 major vendors are all scheduled to be there. It would be great to be able to have all three available to me.

I will ask my question again. I understand that these models are on the low end of their product lines so there may not be much room to negotiate but any movement in my favor would be welcomed. Is buying a laser similar to buying a car where the price can be negotiated or is the quote THE price?

Thanks, Reid

Mike Null
02-11-2017, 8:07 AM
Negotiating has always been my practice.

Scott Shepherd
02-11-2017, 8:39 AM
Negotiating has always been my practice.

Mike's right, but just be aware, as you mention these are machines at the low end of their product lines so you shouldn't expect to knock $1,000's off, but you should certainly negotiate something.

You normally don't have to go to shows to get "Show Specials". You just need to act at the time of the show or shortly after. Just tell them you want the Show Special.