PDA

View Full Version : Zefam or Martin? Who makes what?

John TenEyck
02-08-2017, 7:45 PM
My friend just bought this 16" Zefam jointer:

While looking on a used equipment site, I found this 12" Martin:

They look more than coincidentally close. Anyone know if one company makes machines for the other, or a third party makes machines for both? Just curious. Thanks.

John

Jeff Duncan
02-08-2017, 8:43 PM
There's a thread currently discussing this exact topic over on OWWM.org.....seems most think it is a rebadged machine and that Martin never made that small a machine, but????

JeffD

Larry Edgerton
02-09-2017, 4:21 AM
The same company made machines under a lot of different names. The Martin connection does not surprise me. I have one of their shapers and the thing is a clone of an old Martin other than it has greasable precision bearings instead of oil bath. They also made some machines for SCM I believe. I have a Minimax SC10 that I believe was made in the same plant.

Your friend did good. The stuff I have seen out of there is well made, nice planed tops, and surprisingly fine detail in their machining.

On the other hand, someone could have painted that on there?

Sam Blasco
02-09-2017, 2:39 PM
The Italian company, Griggio, makes Martin's "budget oriented" machines today, so it doesn't surprise me to see that they outsourced in earlier generations. I can't speculate on who actually made this machine, but it looks like a very nice unit.

Darcy Warner
02-09-2017, 2:53 PM
Martin outsources all foundry work to poland.

Polish machines are highly underrated and under valued.

John TenEyck
02-09-2017, 3:32 PM

Polish machines are highly underrated and under valued.

And my friend is going to be the beneficiary of that. $1900 for the 16" Zefam seemed like a very good deal to me. I'm pulling it off a truck for him in a couple of weeks, but won't be 'till April when he gets back from FL that we get it powered up.

John

Thanks for the input, all.

David Kumm
02-09-2017, 3:46 PM
Those machines were badged, Zefam, Fortis, Unitronix, EMA, Kirchfeld. and others. Usually a great value. Dave

Joe Calhoon
02-10-2017, 6:45 AM

Darcy,
Martin's castings are made in Bielefeld Germany. They had to close their own foundry when the village of Ottobeuren became a spa. This is about the time they went from cast bodies to compound.
Here are a couple pictures from last time I was in the factory.
Planer tables in assembly and the area where the frames are filled.

Rick Fisher
02-25-2017, 7:16 PM
Hey Joe ..

That cutterhead in the background .. is that the Helical head for the T-45 Planer ?

Joe Calhoon
02-25-2017, 7:31 PM
Hey Joe ..

That cutterhead in the background .. is that the Helical head for the T-45 Planer ?

Yes, It is the one they make inhouse.

Rick Fisher
02-25-2017, 8:39 PM
Xplane

The cutters are 15 x 15 x 2.5 .. which is a standard Tigra size, curved or straight. Martin says theirs are special, but everyone says that.. hoping they're stock Tigra carbide.

Expecting one in May .. 10hp with an Xplane cutterhead ..

Joe Calhoon
02-25-2017, 10:17 PM
Rick, I don't know much about these. They talk about 3 row structure, scoring cut and the Martin XS grinding of the knives. So, I don't know if Martin makes the knives or if any will work but will find out.
I have a spiral shaper block from Oertli that have those rounded inserts but have never looked into replacements.
Joe