PDA

View Full Version : Just Saying Hello

John Lytle
10-13-2005, 1:56 PM
I have been lurking for quite some time so I thought I had better pony up. I have already figured out that pictures are the only thing that count so here is the latest picture (hopefully), a jewelry box from the Woodsmith magazine a few months ago. Talk about needing to make sure your mitre jigs are dead-square. Mine are now.

Here is the inside.

Thanks to all for the great information here.

John

Jason Tuinstra
10-13-2005, 1:59 PM
John, welcome aboard! The box turned out great. The veneer on the top looks quite nice. And thanks for the pics! You hit the nail on the head, we're a very visual community.

Von Bickley
10-13-2005, 2:07 PM
John,
Great looking jewelry box.... Glad to have you in "The Creek".

Dan Oliphant
10-13-2005, 2:10 PM
John,

Looks great, is that walnut with a walnut burl inlay? Welcome to the creek.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-13-2005, 2:13 PM
John,

Welcome to the creek!! We are glad to have you as a new member!

That Jewelry box looks wonderful! Fit for a king I say :)

I hope that you enjoy your stay here.

Jeff

Bob Oehler
10-13-2005, 2:39 PM
Welcome and Hiddi Ho.

Nice Jewelery box.

Keep the saw dust flying

Bob Oehler

Don Baer
10-13-2005, 2:43 PM
John,

Welcome to the creek!! We are glad to have you as a new member!

That Jewelry box looks wonderful! Fit for a king I say :)

I hope that you enjoy your stay here.

Jeff

Or fit for a queen...;)

Nice work and welcome to the creek.

John Lytle
10-13-2005, 2:57 PM
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Dan, yes, it is QS walnut with a walnut burl veneer inlay.

Jeff & Don, I'm not sure if the queen or one of the 3 'queens in training' will end up with it yet. Negotiations are still on-going. I think no matter who ends up with this one, I'll be making a few more.

Oh well, the rafters are full of walnut, cherry, oak and maple so all they have to do is pick a 'color'.

John

John Bailey
10-13-2005, 3:10 PM
John,

Welcome to the "Creek." As you know, if you've been lurking, this is a special site filled with informative people.

Nice box. I think you could be in trouble if you've 3 queens fighting over it.

John

Gary Lange
10-13-2005, 3:47 PM
Welcome John, I am new also and I see with the work on that Chest I have a lot to learn.

Ted Shrader
10-13-2005, 4:13 PM
Hi John -

Welcome to the Creek. Glad to have you on board.

Very nice work on the jewelry box!

Regards,
Ted

Karl Laustrup
10-13-2005, 4:22 PM
Welcome John. Very nice work on the jewelry box. Lots of space in that one.

My guess would be that which ever queen can fill it would get it, unless it was me having to fill it too. ;) :eek: :D

Karl

lou sansone
10-13-2005, 4:37 PM
hey nice box... I actually am working on one myself with the same wood types, but I think your looks nicer.

lou

John Hart
10-13-2005, 4:54 PM
Howdy John! Welcome! Nice Box! :)

Brent Smith
10-13-2005, 5:17 PM
Welcome John......the jewellery box looks great.

Brent

Ken Fitzgerald
10-13-2005, 5:19 PM
Welcome to the Creek John! Nice box! Wade right in....the water's fine!

Dan Larson
10-13-2005, 5:53 PM
Welcome to SMC John! Nice to have yet another fellow Chicago area dweller come aboard!!! The walnut burl lid is a beautiful touch, by the way. Your rafters are full of walnut, cherry, oak, and maple? Good thing I don't know where you live-- otherwise I might be tempted to help myself to your stash.;)

Dan

Jim Hager
10-13-2005, 5:57 PM
Welcome John, jewelry boxes make me tremble. :( I'm scared to death of anything that small. I usually think big with my projects.

Yours on the other hand is very nice indeed.

Vaughn McMillan
10-13-2005, 5:59 PM
Welcome aboard, John. I really like the jewelry box. I have my sights set on building some boxes in that league, but I'm working my way up to them.

Thanks for sharing, and hope to see and hear more from you in the future.

Welcome John, jewelry boxes make me tremble. :( I'm scared to death of anything that small. I usually think big with my projects.

Yours on the other hand is very nice indeed. Jim, you can knock out 50 beautiful cabinet doors and cases in about the same time it takes me to cut 4 box sides. I don't think you have anything to tremble about. :D

- Vaughn

John Miliunas
10-13-2005, 6:17 PM
Welcome to the Creek, John! I see you've already got the picture drill down, so I can save some breathe there!:) Hey, great job on the jewelry box! I've got all my queens and princesses covered on the jewelry boxes, but yours is one worth considering, though I doubt mine would come out as nice! Great job! Love the details on it.:) Now, don't be bashful and keep coming back...With more pics, of course!:D :cool:

Corey Hallagan
10-13-2005, 8:02 PM
Yowza!! WElcome John and what a sweet Jewelry chest! That walnut burl is very cool! Beautiful work, thanks for the photos! What else yah got to show??? :)

Corey

Alan Turner
10-13-2005, 8:56 PM
Welcome John, and nice router bit box. (That might save a fight, you know.)

Tom Hamilton
10-13-2005, 9:00 PM
Welcome, John. Beautiful box. How did you get your jigs square? TJH

John Lytle
10-14-2005, 7:32 AM
All,

Thanks again for the warm welcome, and praise. For all those 'nervous' about trying something like this, don't be. It's amazing what you can do with a middle school shop class education, just ask me :-)

Dan, Hmmmm, raiding my stash would require you to survive being knowcked down and licked to death by my 3 Australian Shepherds. I will share my shopping secret though, I LUUUUVVVVV AUCTIONS !!!!!!! It's amazing what some of these old farmers have stashed in their barns. Example: 300bf of AD Walnut ....... are you ready ....... $50

Did I mention, I LUUUUVVVV AUCTIONS.

John

Bernie Weishapl
10-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Welcome John. This is a fine place to be. A beautiful box. I love the Walnut.