PDA

View Full Version : Faceplate turning

John Branam
10-13-2005, 1:08 PM
When using the faceplate what type of glue do you use for attaching the sub base/waste block and paper to the blanK? Do you use paper between them.

Keith Burns
10-13-2005, 1:17 PM
I have never used paper but I hear of a lot of people that do. I'm afraid if I had a catch it would come apart. I attach my waste block directly to my piece using original Titebond and never had a problem.

Rich Stewart
10-13-2005, 1:42 PM
Try it both ways and see what happens. I just did it because a guy named Hickory said he did it that way. He didn't say WHY but he seems like he been doing this a while so i went with it.

Robert Kline
10-13-2005, 5:59 PM
I always use brown paper bags and any type of wood glue and have never had a problem. However be careful using plywood waste block I have had the plywood fail.

Don Baer
10-13-2005, 7:33 PM
I always use brown paper bags and any type of wood glue and have never had a problem. However be careful using plywood waste block I have had the plywood fail.

I also would avoid using ant soft woods DAMHIKT

Jim Becker
10-13-2005, 9:15 PM
The paper is not necessary for this application since you will be/should be turning the bottom to finish afterward, or if a small object, using an undercut to part it off from the waste block to complete the form. For larger pieces, it's safer without the paper, too...stronger glue joint. Where you do use the paper is for things like split turnings (usually spindle work) where you absolutely need a clean separation with no additional finishing. The paper acts as a "soft barrier" and allows you to pry things appart carefully after the spindle is turned.

One other thing...make your waste blocks "thick" and you not only get the turning out farther over the bed for easier tool rest base placement, you also can get a lot of reuse. Just clean and true the waste block on the lathe after parting off the turning du jour. I use a large heavy scraper for that truing as you can easily use the edge (with the lathe off) to check how close to flat you are. You want flat or at worst, a very slight concave face on the waste block. Always turn it true before first use, too...just because it's a flat board doesn't mean it's "flat and parallel" to the faceplate after mounting nor round.

Earl Eyre
10-14-2005, 1:21 AM
I usually use Thick CA glue. I'm always impatient and want to get right to it once I start. Never fails. I tried paper early on, got some big catches and the bowl went airborne. Ditto comments about plywood. I've had it fail when I get a catch. Now that I'm more experienced I get fewer big catches, but they still occur.