PDA

View Full Version : Is a Bailey #5 the right tool?

Don Baer
10-13-2005, 12:59 PM
I am getting ready to start a project to make some small tables and was trying to decide the right tool. I asked some question on the general forum in this thread,
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=230400&posted=1#post230400

I have an old Bailey #5 that I picked up as scrap some time back and am plpanning on restoreing it just to have in my shop. It was very rusty which I have taken care of and I need to scrape the sole but it has no cracks in it.
It need an Iron and a chiip breaker (they are missing) but other then that I see no reason why it can't be salvaged.

Now I am wondering if this plane is the right one to use to Flatten and 18" x 18" table top that I will be making out of QSWO. If not what plane would be best for this job.

I am going to restore the plane in any case but just wondering if it's the right tool ?

Steve Wargo
10-13-2005, 1:07 PM
It's what I'd use. You should have no problems flattening a table of that size with a jack plane.

Roy Wall
10-13-2005, 1:15 PM
Don,

I can recommend the LN blade and chip breaker. They will increase the performance of your Bailey.

Give them a call - they make specific Stanley replacement blades - they are very good.

ROY

Don Baer
10-13-2005, 1:17 PM
Kewl guys, thanks for the help...

Now it's off to the shop to flatten the Bailey and order the parts.

:D

Bob Oehler
10-13-2005, 2:46 PM
Hi Don:
I use my #5 that was restored by myself. I found it in the wall of a house that I was tearing down. I still need to work on the rear handle (TILL ??) but I gets a geat deal of use. I also have a dunlap #5 that I curved the blade a little. It's the plane I use after my scrub and before my #5.

For realy big flattening jobs you might need a jointer plane. I do not have one but have the bug to make a wood jointer about 28" long. I guess I smell another project.

Have fun and flatten away