PDA

View Full Version : Fence

Ron McNeil
06-20-2003, 1:05 PM
Well it's Friday and I will try again to build my 400' of fence that I started over a month ago and getting nowhere fast. Today is the 17th straight day that it has rained at least part of the day. We have the back of our property fenced with split rail and then steel wire stapled over it so the dogs don't get out and the wild animals don't get in. The fence was part of the house when we purched it in 1999. All the posts were put into the ground and cemented and are in good shape. Unfortunately the rails are dry rotten and breaking. I got an estimate to put a privacy fence up for between $5000.00 and $6000.00 dollars. My wife and I thought if we replaced all the rails with Pressure Treated 2X4 and used 1 X 6 planks we could do it ourselves. So far we have done about 80 feet and it has cost us about $688.00 We still have the material to do 40 more feet and that costs inludes a walk through gate and two 5' gates that make up a 10' gate that opens to drive vechicles into the back of property. We are hoping to get at least another 20 feet up this weekend and I'm hoping to spray stain on the part that hasn't been stained yet. (If the weather will cooperate).

Here's a picture of the driveway side of the house. This is mostly gates but it seems to be working just fine. We figure it is going to cost us about $1500.00 to $1700.00 when done.

Noah Alkinburgh
06-20-2003, 1:41 PM
Looks nice...sounds like alot of work.

I hear ya about the rain. I am thinking maybe I should starts and ark casue its gotta be getting close to 40 days and nights of rain :)

Noah

Ron McNeil
06-20-2003, 3:15 PM
Thanks Noah,

It is a lot of work but when you dont have the bucks to pay someone else to do it then you do what you gota do. Building the Ark might not be a bad idea. I live in a rural area but about 40 miles away cities and towns are flooding. I guess it could be worse all this rain could have been snow.

Walt Quadrato
06-20-2003, 3:41 PM
Guys, I'm up in new england and I've only seen my shadow 4 times in the last 2 months. I'm not worriied about my tools so much as I'm worryin' about me rusting. Last year I built a fence for my backyard..short run of about 40 feet and saved about $1200 doing it myself. I did a sort of modified shadow-box similar to yours but with staggered boards on both sides; the neighbors really appreciated that. Stay dry if you can.:cool:

David Blangger
06-20-2003, 10:10 PM
You guys need to come to Texas. Rain has finally stopped here and you could build me a nice fence like that in the sunshine:D

I assure you it will be faster than building it in the rain.

Looks good Ron.

David