PDA

View Full Version : Osborne EB-3 Miter Guide

Don Dean
10-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Thinking about buying a miter guide for my new and first table saw. I have read a lot of post on the Incra 1000se and it looks like a great miter guide. I also like the Osborne EB-3 Miter Guide. Would like to hear your opinions and experience you may have with the Osborne.

Les Spencer
10-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Great piece of equipment. No complaints. There's a reason Norm uses it.;)

Russell Svenningsen
10-13-2005, 1:24 PM
I've had mine a short while, but have used it a bunch and love it. Sturdy, accurate and the sandpaper face is both useful and it seems durable.

Best,
Russ

Allan Johanson
10-13-2005, 4:36 PM
I've had one for quite a while and I love it. But when I first set it up I tried a test - with and without the sandpaper attached to the fence. The instructions that came with mine made it seem the sandpaper was optional, but from my experience I found it is mandatory.

If I didn't use the sandpaper, sometimes the wood might slip a tiny bit on the smooth aluminum fence when doing 45 deg miters and cause fitting problems.

With the sandpaper the wood stays put and my miters are perfect.

Cheers,

Allan

Brent Smith
10-13-2005, 5:27 PM
Don,

I have the Osborne and have used the incra. In my opinion the Osborne is better suited for my needs. I also have an Accu-miter, Lee Valley sells it. I find that for 90^ cuts the Accu-miter is the best of the 3 ( although the hold down clamp sold for it is fairly useless ). It is a far more solid piece of tooling than the other 2. For any angled cuts I reach for the Osborne, I like the positive stops on it. Once you adjust 90^ all the other stops are dead on.

Brent

Noel Hegan
10-13-2005, 7:41 PM
I've the Accu-miter and it certainly is more solid and more robust than the EB3 and the Incra. As Brent mentions great for 90 degree cuts but really needs sandpaper or rubber on angled cuts to help avoid slip. Could also do with an "onboard" handle of some description (I don't have the optional clamp attachment). Despite these minor complaints I've very happy with it.
Incidentially do any EB3 users find that the grit from the sandpaper tends to collect under the body of the gauge and scratch the table? Just something I noticed when using a friend's EB3.

Rgds

Noel

Allan Johanson
10-13-2005, 8:55 PM
Incidentially do any EB3 users find that the grit from the sandpaper tends to collect under the body of the gauge and scratch the table? Just something I noticed when using a friend's EB3.

Rgds

Noel

Nope. When I installed my sandpaper I made sure it was raised off the bottom of the fence a little bit so it wouldn't scrape the saw top. And I haven't noticed any other scrapes I can attribute to the EB3. My old gauge caused some scratches though.

Cheers,

Allan

Noel Hegan
10-14-2005, 6:35 AM
Sorry Allan, didn't phrase my question quite right. I had in mind that the grit tended to fall off the sandpaper and then get trapped under the body. Although I guess it may depend on the quality of sandpaper used. No big deal anyway. Incidentially, how is the abrasive attached? PSA?

Rgds

Noel

scott spencer
10-14-2005, 7:47 AM
Hi Don - My EB-3 was one of those that were problematic and was handed down to me from a fellow Creeker who actually went through 3 bad ones and gave up out of frustration with Osborne. He's since replaced it with a Woodhaven deluxe and loves it. It's extremely well built and wreaks of precision machining. I'd take a serious look at that one before making a decision.

I have an Incra V27 that's been awesome at it's price, but would really benefit from a fence. The Incra 1000SE seems to fit that bill, and others are raving about it. The Incra is well built but not as robust as the Woodhaven.

Mike Hedges
10-14-2005, 9:32 AM
I have the Jessem-mite-R-Excel, It has been great, very accurate check it out .

Keith Christopher
10-14-2005, 12:25 PM
I have no complaints at all with my osborne. I love it. It is a pain a little when moving to the right miter slot however. But small thing really.

Ted Shrader
10-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Don -

I have had an Osborne for about a year now. Works great, well built and accurate. Good repeatability - ie 37½° right then 37½° left.

I use a sled for 90° cuts and the Osborne for all others.

Ted

Don Dean
10-15-2005, 9:34 AM
Thanks everyone for you input.

Allan Johanson
10-16-2005, 5:11 AM
Sorry Allan, didn't phrase my question quite right. I had in mind that the grit tended to fall off the sandpaper and then get trapped under the body. Although I guess it may depend on the quality of sandpaper used. No big deal anyway. Incidentially, how is the abrasive attached? PSA?

Rgds

Noel

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, the adhesive is a PSA type.

The sandpaper that came with mine is nice stuff. No noticable little grits coming off. I like it.

Cheers,

Allan