PDA

View Full Version : Grounding PVC Duct work

tim walker
02-07-2017, 4:22 PM
I have 6" PVC ductwork going to my ClearVue Cyclone. Recently, but only when using my DeWalt Planer, have I been getting a shock. I am using the Rockler expandable 4" hose for my jumper. So i am not sure if it is the Rockler hose or my system. If I take of DC it does not shock. Since I never set up grounding on my initial install, that jhas got me to thinking I should regardless of the source of the shock. It is a mild static electricity sort of shock.

Any suggestions on how to ground a PVC system?

Lee Schierer
02-07-2017, 4:35 PM
Just wait until you've used the system for a while the static charge will cease to exist and you won't get zapped any more. Sawdust will put a light film on the duct and hose and voila no more static.

Andy Giddings
02-07-2017, 5:02 PM
Tim, you might want to read the other thread discussing this topic if you haven't already seen it http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?251293-Bad-Science-in-Latest-Wood-Magazine

paul cottingham
02-07-2017, 8:14 PM
I'll just say this; you can't ground pvc. But, if you don't want to get shocked, you could wrap the area you are getting shocked by with wire, and grounding the wire.

Jerry Bruette
02-07-2017, 10:01 PM
If static is a build up of electrons caused by one material rubbing against another, sawdust inside PVC, and PVC is an insulator, how does the build up of electrons get discharged on the outside of the PVC?

Alan Schwabacher
02-07-2017, 10:37 PM
Does the flex hose you added have a metal spiral in it? If so, the problem is likely that the static charges that accumulate on the insulator, usually harmlessly dispersed, can be harvested by the conducting metal and brought to you as a shock. The solution is to ground the metal conductor: conductors should be grounded, insulators don't need it. Just expose a bit of the wire, attach a copper wire to it and then to any grounded machine.

tim walker
02-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Yes the flex hose does have wire in it. Will try the above and hopefully will do the trick.

Robert Engel
02-08-2017, 11:35 AM
There are methods involving wrapping a wire around the pipe and even penetrating pipe with screws but I've also read that doesn't work and/or isn't necessary.

I did get a little zap but only when I first started using my system and only when I touched metal blast gate, so I grounded all the blast gates to a nearby outlet.

I think the poster who said leave it go a while might be right.

I like what Alan said.

Chris Padilla
02-08-2017, 1:42 PM
Most people who have the static shock issues with PVC are with freshly-installed, clean pipes. When they get dirty/dusty, they will no longer shock or accumulate charge. That said, if you are touching a spot relatively often, you can wrap some bare wire in that spot and ground it appropriately and if you touch the wire first, odds are decent you can mitigate the static build-up.

glenn bradley
02-08-2017, 2:55 PM
This subject appears on here many, many times. Without getting pedantic about the terminology . . . I use 18 gauge insulated wire from the BORG. Completely cures even the slightest jolt. All you are doing is providing a better path to ground than your body offers.

353479 . 353480

My "ground" is a foil tape "shoe" about 4" x 12" with a foil flap that I clip the wire to.

353481 . 353483

Where hoses attach I have a clip to grab the metal helix.

353482 . 353484

I never get a static build up because the charge is constantly dissipating through the very available path.