PDA

View Full Version : Leaving today to pick up first lathe

Chris Daigh
10-13-2005, 12:17 PM
and hopefully the last one unless I hit it rich. Its a 1985 General 260, 20 inch swing and I believe 2 hp. I have only seen pictures of it. I trust the seller but is there anything I should check specifically to make sure it will last a long time.
I hope some time in the near future after I finish 8 dining chairs, a number of wine holders and a buffet I can post some jaw dropping stuff that is shown here daily. OK it could be the far future for that kind of stuff. I also have to sneek by the wife all the tools, sharpeners, wood and odds and ends. So be ready for rookie questions in the future.

John Hart
10-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Cool!! Congratulations Chris (Early). I'd check its alignment mostly, smoothness of motor operation, heat, unual noises and maybe check for signs of abuse or something...you know, bent parts, dead animals, etc...

Be sure to post some pics tonight....No pics - It ain't true!:D

Ed Lang
10-13-2005, 1:16 PM
Congrats!

As John said, alignment. run the tailstock up to the headstock and make sure the "points" align. Looked close for cracks and make sure the bearings are smooth and not rough.

Be careful lifting! Tie it tight before moving the vehicle and careful lifting when you get home.

You sure have started to get on slipery ground now;)

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the other projects as well as the lathe and the turnings from it.