PDA

View Full Version : Problems with chinese (blue) laser cutter

Simon Kinder
02-07-2017, 6:24 AM
Hi there

new to the forum, looking for help.

Have chinese 50W laser cutter that has many issues which i am working through. After replacing the power supply and laser tube we were cutting fine until now.

System no longer booting up when powered on.

internal light on machine works, up-down motorised bed works, powersupply for laser has lit diode, but none of the other controllers have.

Normally there would be one green light on what looks like a controller (see images, the metal covered controller) and two red leds on what i assume is the laser controller (white box many outputs) and also would be green leds on both motor controllers (black boxes).

So my assumption is the metal grill covered controller or the laser controller has failed? But i have no idea how to test this and the seller is not responding to my contact (basically ignoring me to avoid fullfilling the offered 3 year warranty (system hasent lasted 4 months).

Help would be appreciated

David Somers
02-07-2017, 3:21 PM
Simon,

Only have a second to reply right now, and not knowing your specific machine I am making a guess. But with partial function in the machine the first thing I would look at are the fuses. Most of these Chinese machines have little fuses that are part of the power plug on the female end attached to the machine. When you look at the female part of the plugs (there are likely 2 power plugs there) you will see a small cap that you can open to get at the fuses. They are little bus type fuses. The glass tubes with metal end caps? Disconnect the machine from power and check those fuses by removing them and testing with a multimeter. The problem may be as simple as that.

Gotta run! Others can chime in with the next steps to take.

Simon Kinder
02-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Simon,

Only have a second to reply right now, and not knowing your specific machine I am making a guess. But with partial function in the machine the first thing I would look at are the fuses. Most of these Chinese machines have little fuses that are part of the power plug on the female end attached to the machine. When you look at the female part of the plugs (there are likely 2 power plugs there) you will see a small cap that you can open to get at the fuses. They are little bus type fuses. The glass tubes with metal end caps? Disconnect the machine from power and check those fuses by removing them and testing with a multimeter. The problem may be as simple as that.

Gotta run! Others can chime in with the next steps to take.

Thanks, did check the fuse physically and seemed ok, will check with meter, i could only find one fuse and as the internal light and bed worked i assumed power was getting into the machine.

This is the machine i have as posted by the dodgy seller.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HIGH-PROMOTION-50W-CO2-LASER-ENGRAVING-CUTTING-MACHINE-ENGRAVER-CUTTER-300X500MM-/221821641682?hash=item33a599a3d2:g:lwUAAOSwh2xYBcX 1

Kev Williams
02-07-2017, 11:58 PM
Make sure the emergency stop switch isn't in 'off' position-- I've done that trick twice now, 2 different machines, and in both cases some of the electrics don't go dark...

Bill Carruthers
02-08-2017, 2:48 AM
Sounds similar to a problem I had a while back - Had to replace the stepper motor controllers on one occasion both had red lights- and shortly after doing that and getting working OK, had the low voltage (36 or 48 volt) power supply to the motor controllers go wonky and replaced that - been OK ever since. If you have a green light on one motor controller you should be able to get some motor response on either the x or y axis. If they are both red then according to my Chinese guru it means they need replacing - I forget how much they were, but don't think it was a huge figure. Good luck!

Simon Kinder
02-08-2017, 4:28 AM
thanks for all the suggestions.

1. The emergency button is not pressed in and functions. With it not pressed the internal light is lit and the powersupply to the laser is on, why you press the button all power drops (internal lit off, powersupply off), so the button is working and not engaged
2. There are no lights on the stepper controllers at all, they are not getting power i am sure, something further upstream is the issue.
3. i am still suspicious of the that grill covered controller/circuit board, i have zero idea what it is, it seems to be close to the power input and it would normally have a green light. Anyone know what it is at all?

Keep the suggestions coming

John Lifer
02-08-2017, 8:08 AM
I can't tell, but the grill covered supply doesn't look to be the laser supply. If it is, then it probably isn't the problem if you have power elsewhere.
Try to trace the power incoming to the controller backwards. If it is into the grill supply, then go from it backwards to source. BTW, unplug machine initially, and use screwdriver to make sure connections are tight. Then meter to check voltage. Again, wiring can be issue, loose connection, poor crimp on connector. etc.
Sorry about your supplier! But try to determine the right issue before buying parts. It is easy to chase your tail.

Gary Hair
02-08-2017, 8:17 AM
thanks for all the suggestions.

1. The emergency button is not pressed in and functions. With it not pressed the internal light is lit and the powersupply to the laser is on, why you press the button all power drops (internal lit off, powersupply off), so the button is working and not engaged
2. There are no lights on the stepper controllers at all, they are not getting power i am sure, something further upstream is the issue.
3. i am still suspicious of the that grill covered controller/circuit board, i have zero idea what it is, it seems to be close to the power input and it would normally have a green light. Anyone know what it is at all?

Keep the suggestions coming

The grill covered part is likely a power supply. Trace the wires and you'll probably find it has voltage in from a 110>220 converter and wires going to other components.