PDA

View Full Version : Fair price for Epilog Mini 35?

Joe Shinall
02-06-2017, 2:55 PM
Have a chance to bid on an Epilog Mini 35, made in 08. It's just the machine, no software included. What should a fair price be on a unit like this? Bids are very low right now but I want to make sure I keep a reasonable max bid that I don't go over. Don't want to impulse buy but really would like one for my hobby shop if I can get it reasonable.

There is also one from 06 up for bidding, same model.

They look to be in good shape, some scrapes and scratches on the outside, but inside looks good. They were definitely in a production environment and not an office type setting.

Ross Moshinsky
02-06-2017, 3:24 PM
Take the price of a new unit. Subtract the cost of a new tube, belts, bearings, lens, mirrors, and the main board. Also subtract the labor involved in fixing it up. That number should get you close.

Joe Shinall
02-06-2017, 3:29 PM
That's what I was trying to find, was the cost of those parts. Is there somewhere that sells these besides calling Epilog? This will be my first laser engraver so I'm not familiar with all the popular sites yet.

Keith Downing
02-06-2017, 4:54 PM
You'd be buying those from Epilog. But if you have the serial number of the laser you might be able to get some more information on it as well when you call.

I've seen some great deals from the auctions, but only caveat is if you're getting a machine auctioned off by a school or a local maker space; it may be in considerably worse shape than one that has been used professionally over the same amount of hours.

I'd be curious to see the auctions if you'd be willing to post the link (assuming it's online). Or you can PM me if you don't want others seeing it and adding to the competition :cool:

Tim Bateson
02-06-2017, 5:08 PM
I have one built in '06 with a few extras. I seriously wouldn't let it go for less then $10k. FYI - It's not for sale. Makes a good backup machine.

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-06-2017, 5:55 PM
I have an '04 mini. I recently replaced the X & Y motors and X & Y belts. I also changed out what was necessary for the X-motor fan upgrade. All those parts cost me around $550 including shipping. I think the encoder strip was around $25 including shipping last time I purchased one of those.

Bruce Clumpner
02-06-2017, 7:20 PM
upgraded 40 watt epilog tube cost me $2k 2 years ago for my mini-18

Joe Shinall
02-06-2017, 9:17 PM
Thanks guys, I got pricing on the tube today and will take the other costs into consideration. I don't have a lot to spend but don't want to let it slip away, even if it means holding on to the machine until I can afford to replace the parts.

Thanks for all your help!

Keith Downing
02-06-2017, 10:37 PM
Thanks guys, I got pricing on the tube today and will take the other costs into consideration. I don't have a lot to spend but don't want to let it slip away, even if it means holding on to the machine until I can afford to replace the parts.

Thanks for all your help!

Just to be clear, no one is suggesting you replace all those parts the day you buy the machine! They're simply suggesting you add the cost into your calculation of what the machine is worth, because the odds are good one or more of those things will need to be replaced at some point on an older machine.

But gosh, please don't go out and spend all that extra money on day 1. If the machine is working fine (and it should be if you're paying decent money for the used machine), then you don't need to do much of anything unless you see problems arise.

GL!

Mike Null
02-07-2017, 7:06 AM
I'm a little more conservative. I doubt I'd pay more than $7,000.

Joe Shinall
02-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Yes Keith, I understood that, just thinking worse case scenario. I'd be extatic if the thing worked perfefct when I got it home LOL.

Joe Shinall
02-10-2017, 11:16 PM
Thank you all for your input. I pulled the trigger on the auction today and went a little higher than I was hoping because of some last second bids but after auction fees and tax I am now the proud owner of an 06 Epilog Mini 35 for $3200. Pick it up Tuesday and get the fun of figuring this out...

Mike Null
02-11-2017, 8:02 AM
Sounds like a steal to me. Congratulations!

Keith Downing
02-11-2017, 7:06 PM
Sounds very good!

Would you PM the link to the auction site or auction house? I'm going to be looking for a second machine in about 3-4 months and it sounds like you've found a great source!

Joe Shinall
02-11-2017, 8:11 PM
It was southauctiongroup dot com. But the guy even said himself he has never come across engravers besides this business that was closing out. They do mostly real estate and the occasional small business closing.

reid greene
02-12-2017, 6:27 PM
Congrats Joe. Let us know how it works. Have fun.

Mike Null
02-13-2017, 7:25 AM
Keep an eye on the Sawmill Creek classified forum. Every now and then a laser shows up there.

Joe Shinall
02-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Thanks Reid, I'm sure I'll be asking questions ALOT lol...

Tim Bateson
02-13-2017, 5:34 PM
...I am now the proud owner of an 06 Epilog Mini 35 for $3200...

Congrats - great deal. FYI - Mine is also '06 & from what I've been told the Epilog tube manufacturing changed that year. Mine is still going strong with full power... after it warms up. Epilog believes it was one of the 1st of the new tubes and is defying all odds.

Ed Maloney
02-13-2017, 6:25 PM
Nice! Let us know how it turns out.

Bruce Clumpner
02-14-2017, 7:25 PM
Congrats! A great deal, even if a little rebuilding is in order. It should pay for itself in no time!

Joe Shinall
02-15-2017, 1:27 AM
Just picked it up today. Going to take me a few days to get a good spot cleaned up to put it, but it has receipts from parts being replaced within the last 2 years (belts, mirror, and about 6 or 7 other miscellaneous parts). Hoping for the best!

Kristian Matz
02-15-2017, 1:34 PM
Is here much of a market for used lasers? I have a Gravograph LS100EX that i have sitting here as a back up machine that I should probably look at selling. I have not used it much since I got the Speedy 400.

Joe Shinall
02-15-2017, 5:38 PM
Let me put it this way, I have been "looking" at them for years but this was the first ones I have seen come up for sale anywhere around my area and I look at auctions and Craigslist all the time within 100 miles for all sorts of stuff. I think it's a great market for people that can't afford the expensive new ones.