PDA

View Full Version : Standard shank bit in a two jaw brace?

Jason Dean
02-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Gentlemen,

Do any of you have a solution for gaining purchase on smooth (or hex shanked) bits with a 2 jaw brace? Does anyone make a Jacobs chuck to tang adapter?

I could just buy another brace, but I am still trying to claw my way up the slippery slope of buying a tool because I "might" need it or it was a "good deal".

Bill Houghton
02-06-2017, 12:05 PM
I've been able to grip hex shanked bits in a two-jaw brace, but there's nothing to keep them from getting pushed deeper into the chuck. Some braces were said to accommodate smooth bits, but if you had a brace with one of those chucks, you probably wouldn't be asking.

For bits up to about 1/4", an eggbeater drill, large variety, is better. For larger bits, are you not getting good results with your auger bits?

For small holes, as for hardware screws, it's hard to beat a push drill. If you go looking for one, look for the type that takes the Yankee/North Bros/Stanley bits, rather than the bits for Goodell-Pratt (and many Millers-Falls, Craftsman, etc. drills). You can get replacements more easily.

You won't regret buying either of these tools, if you get a good one.

Jim Koepke
02-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Howdy Jason,

As Bill said, some of the later braces were made to accept twist drill bits. Usually this was for bits of 1/8" and larger.

There are adapters available:

Not sure if there are any currently being made.

Often times it is easier to find a solution to another's need if it clear what another wishes to accomplish.

For small twist bits, up to ~3/8", a good egg beater type drill, like a Millers Falls #2, works great.

There are also a lot of twist type bits with auger tangs for use in a brace.

If you have a chance to purchase what is called a breast drill, make sure it has three jaws. Some do come with two jaws to accommodate bits with the square auger tang.

jtk

lowell holmes
02-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Are you talking about high speed bits?
I only have one auger bit that has the shank cut off, but both my braces will grip it.

Chuck Nickerson
02-06-2017, 1:39 PM
Lee Valley sells an auger bit with a head that accepts hex shanks. It works great for me.

Kees Heiden
02-06-2017, 3:13 PM
I remember my father would wrap sanding paper around the shaft of smooth straight shanked bits. But I was never really enthousiastic about that method, like I wasn't very enthousiastic about the brace at all in those days!

Get yourself some square shank bits, they aren't that expensive on the second hand market and it works a lot better.

Jason Dean
02-06-2017, 4:49 PM
Thanks to all for the replies!

Bill, I have a Yankee push drill laying around that I will definitely try for small things. I've never had occasion to play with one, but now that you mention it's usefulness I am keen to try it.

Jim/Chuck, I was attempting to find a solution for a wood owl auger bit. They make them with a 7/16" shank so the Lee Valley 1/4" adapter won't help me in this situation (but It is on my list of things to acquire)

steven c newman
02-06-2017, 5:10 PM
Been having a lot of luck, holding round shanked bits in this type of chuck...

Ray Selinger
02-06-2017, 6:58 PM
I have a funky German made Primis (sp ) with those type of jaws. The MillerFalls Holdall chucks have pretty aggressive teeth on the jaws.

steven c newman
02-06-2017, 8:35 PM
Mine was a Millers Falls 1054, 6" sweep brace, made for Keen Kutter....

Nicholas Lawrence
02-06-2017, 9:49 PM
I have several braces with "Lion" chucks. They have two jaws, but hold anything you put in them. I also have a No. 12 breast drill from Millers Falls, which has two jaws in the chuck. It is the "holdall" style, and also hold anything I have put in it, including modern smooth round shaft bits.

On the other hand, I have a Pexto brace that does not hold anything but the traditional square tapered shank bits.

In my opinion a quality brace (a Lion chuck for example) is well worth the $20-$30 it might cost you.