PDA

View Full Version : Home Laser Printer

Peter Stahl
02-06-2017, 9:43 AM
Does anyone have a home laser printer that they really like. Never had much luck with a inkjet as I don't use a printer a lot but really want one that will print out well when I need it. Black and white is fine for what I print. Please let me know which one you like or really didn't like.

thanks!

Jim Becker
02-06-2017, 9:48 AM
I don't have personal experience (yet), but I can tell you that if I only needed B&W, I'd have a laser instead of an inkjet in a split second. For the most part, ink jets are an "ink cartridge pyramid"...almost a scam because of the poor life and constant cost to replace them. I'm guessing that any of the known brands of small laser will work well, but check reviews from multiple sources to get a good picture of which perform better.

The reason for the "yet" in the first sentence is that we have a small HP laser printer downstairs that will likely replace the ink jet I'm using now once I run out of ink the next time. The Professor closed down one of her offices in favor of working from home and that printer came home with her...

Michael Dye
02-06-2017, 9:49 AM
Although fairly big, the Brother laser printers have always served me well. The only down side of any laser printer is the cost of replacement cartridges. Even on sale, they run upward of $75 each and take 4 to run the printer. Obviously, if you just do black and white printing, the black cartridge is the only one to worry about. Good luck.

Mark Patoka
02-06-2017, 9:55 AM
I bought an HP Color LaserJet 1600 about 7 years ago that has given me no problems at all. We were printing a lot of color and b/w and the inkjet printer was just getting too expensive per page, plus issues with the ink cartridges. I found the HP on clearance at Staples so I got it for a good price and I order the HP brand toners online.

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Few years ago we replaced our ink jet with a Samsung SCX-3405W for the very reason Jim stated - got tired of the constant hassle with ink cartridges. The laser is a black print only but has a scanner and can do copies with the touch of a button. So far we really like using it and I love the fact that I never have to worry about how long it has been since last using it - it prints each and every time and a heck of a lot faster than an ink jet. As far as replacement cartridges, I did replace it once but bought it online and it was slightly more than the cost of 1 ink jet cartridge.

Mike Null
02-06-2017, 10:43 AM
I have 3 laser printers, one is color. One is an old HP4000 I bought refurbished. It is amazing. My other priner I use for laser sublimation and it is a newer HP 2035.

I haven't used inkjet in several years.

Jerome Stanek
02-06-2017, 10:45 AM
I had a HP but hated the chipped cartridges so I bought a Dell all in one Cheaper toner and no chips to tell me that I am out of toner when I have a full cartridge. I also have a Black and white Pantum that I paid $29 from Micro Center that works really well

Alan Rutherford
02-06-2017, 10:46 AM
We have a Brother HL-2270DW laser printer that's 3-4 years old and we're happy with it. It's fast, will print on both sides if I want. Was so easy to connect wirelessly we didn't bother with using a cable although we could have. It went through the undersized cartridge that came with it too quickly. When I saw what name-brand cartridges cost I went online for cheap imports and got 2 for about $20, if I remember correctly. It took maybe 2 years to use up the first of those and we are on the second. We still have an inkjet but we hardly ever use it any more unless we need to send a fax.

Dan Friedrichs
02-06-2017, 10:49 AM
People who think laser = B&W are 10 years behind. You can get full-color laser printers for VERY cheap, now.

I bought one of these when it was on sale for $250 with free shipping:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=210-AFRW

I have no idea how they could even ship it - let alone make any money - for $250. The thing is like 80lbs and bigger than a dorm fridge.

Full color duplex printing and scanning, auto document feeder, and the INCLUDED color toner cartridges will last 5 years at the rate I print (and, unlike ink, they won't dry up).

Scott Donley
02-06-2017, 1:02 PM
I also have had the Brother HL-2270DW for about 5 years. It has been great, I might go 4 months between use and works every time. I bought a new toner cartridge from Amazon for under 30.00. I did have to use a usb cable to set it up and according to Brother at the time there was no way to set it up with out.

Jim Becker
02-06-2017, 2:11 PM
Dan, you're correct...laser doesn't just mean black and white. I was remiss in my earlier comment in that respect since the one in the box downstairs is basic B&W.

Barry McFadden
02-06-2017, 6:00 PM
I'll go against the grain here.....I have had nothing but ink jet printers for as long as I can remember. Always buy OEM cartridges and have never had a problem....possibly those that have had issues are buying from the retailers that refill them? I don't print much and when it's just for my use I use draft mode and the cartridges last a very long time. I have nothing against laser printers but just thought I'd let everyone know there are satisfied ink jet users around....

Jerome Stanek
02-06-2017, 6:12 PM
I have had ink jet printers dot matrix printers thermal printers and laser printers. I like the lasers the best as the heads don't dry up and print quality is better.

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-06-2017, 6:16 PM
We recently picked up a cheap B&W HP Laserjet M402n from Staples to replace an ancient little Brother laser printer. Speed was not an issue so I didn't even bother looking at the specs. I was quite surprised to see how much laser printers have dropped in price and improved in technology in the last 10 years. The little HP starts up instantly from sleep mode and it can print a full (b&w) photo in mere seconds compared to the old Brother or my old HP Laserjet 3200 I use on another computer. (Those take up to 2 minutes from start-up to full page print.) The only thing I would do different is spend the extra few dollars for the wireless option. That way, if any of us need to print from a smart phone, it will be very easy to print to the wireless printer.

Lee Schierer
02-06-2017, 6:28 PM
We tired of the constant battle with ink cartridges not working and their cost We purchased a Brother HL-2040 laser B&W printer about 10 years ago for about $100. The toner cartridges last 5-6 years for us and yet are always ready to make a clear sharp copy that doesn't smear if it gets damp. We have had zero problems. It will also print envelopes. The current equivalent printer is the HL-2340, which is also wireless, ours is not.

Dave Lehnert
02-06-2017, 6:40 PM
I have a Brother 2280 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QM8J8S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Purchased it in 2012 and never looked back. I like it a lot. I am only on my second cartage. I purchased it for $100. Looks like 2280 is discontinued but a newer model is available.
FYI- I purchased my cartage at Walmart on line because they were like $10-$12 cheaper than just picking one up in store.

I was in the same boat, Got sick of replacing a cartage on an ink jet because it dried up from lack of use. I will never buy an ink jet printer again,

roger wiegand
02-07-2017, 9:03 AM
We have a HP 2320 MFP Laserjet, which has been great for years now. It's an older small office color printer/scanner/fax machine. Although it it painful each time I need to buy new cartridges (about $85 each, and it takes four of them), the cost per page printed is only about 5-6 cents. We print about 4-5000 pages per year, so it adds up. At some point it will probably need a major servicing and we'll need to decide whether to repair or replace. Have had many HP laser printers at work and no problems at all. Cost of supplies is what's important, beware of cheap printers with expensive toner cartridges.

Jim Becker
02-07-2017, 9:56 AM
I'll go against the grain here.....I have had nothing but ink jet printers for as long as I can remember. Always buy OEM cartridges and have never had a problem....possibly those that have had issues are buying from the retailers that refill them? I don't print much and when it's just for my use I use draft mode and the cartridges last a very long time. I have nothing against laser printers but just thought I'd let everyone know there are satisfied ink jet users around....

I only use OEM HP cartridges and generally get very poor life from them. I don't print all that much, either. When I look back over the past couple years, I could have just bought a new printer each time I bought cartridges for similar money. It might not have been quite as good a printer, but still...

Stan Calow
02-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Another one here with a Brother 2270. No issues. I'd buy again. Gone through several HP & Epson before, and agree they are just mechanisms for selling ink cartridges.

Peter Stahl
02-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies! I bought a Brother HL-L2380DW (wireless laser printer), it was easy to set up but I needed a USB cable to get the WIFI to work. There is also a app so I can print from my iphone or a ipad.