PDA

View Full Version : Material to partially fill door face and strike plate cutouts?

Steve Mathews
02-05-2017, 8:26 PM
A door that I recently purchased at HD has cutouts for the face and strike plates that were made too deep and uneven. What material is suggested for partially filling these areas? Some type of epoxy?

Bruce Wrenn
02-05-2017, 8:54 PM
A door that I recently purchased at HD has cutouts for the face and strike plates that were made too deep and uneven. What material is suggested for partially filling these areas? Some type of epoxy?I would build a jig to use router and deepen areas to be filled. Then using wood, glue in place and plane flush with surface.

Andrew Hughes
02-05-2017, 9:00 PM
I would just cut the top off a cereal box and add a couple layers.They are always off because they are made by a soulless machine.

Lee Schierer
02-05-2017, 9:16 PM
I repaired a wood screen door for my daughter using Minwax 2 part wood filler. It is like bondo for wood. I used painters tape for a form while the filler hardened. It sets up in about 15 minutes and can be worked with woodworking tools.

Steve Mathews
02-05-2017, 10:07 PM
I forgot to mention the cutout is angled, deeper toward the front. So, a mere shim of some sort is not ideal. The quality of most of the HD doors that I've purchased has been lousy.

Ole Anderson
02-06-2017, 12:55 AM
The last episode of "This Old House" showed them ripping off the old edge, cutouts and all, and gluing on a new face the full height of the door. Really only needed if the door edge will be stained not painted and is really messed up. Interesting concept though.

Wayne Cannon
02-06-2017, 1:11 AM
I may be old fashioned, but I still like Durham's Rock Hard. Inexpensive, easy to use, reasonable open-time, hardens quickly, sands and works easily, feathers nicely, doesn't' shrink.

andy bessette
02-06-2017, 1:59 AM
Fit wood inlays; glue with epoxy; re-mortise.

Jerome Stanek
02-06-2017, 8:05 AM
thin strips of card stock. double up the deeper side

glenn bradley
02-06-2017, 8:27 AM
I forgot to mention the cutout is angled, deeper toward the front. So, a mere shim of some sort is not ideal. The quality of most of the HD doors that I've purchased has been lousy.

I would start going elsewhere. The savings the price tag reflects has already been eaten up and the door still isn't done. That being said; if you want to re-cut the holes do as Bruce suggests and re-route. If you just want to band-aid it I would do what Andrew suggests. If there are gaps you are trying to fill to make it look "OK" and you don't want to fill and re-route my only suggestion is to return the door and get one that is properly milled.