PDA

View Full Version : Who else is NOT watching the Super Bowl?

Malcolm Schweizer
02-05-2017, 6:32 PM
No kidding, I just texted my wife, "Domino's isn't answering the phone." She texted back, "It's Super Bowl Sunday, I'm sure they're busy." I answered, "That was today?"

I realize that I am a minority in this issue, but I absolutely do not understand watching grown men play with a ball. I don't get painting your face in your favorite team colors. I will never understand yelling at the television or complaining about a "bad play." I just don't get it. I respect those that don't see this my way, and I am not trying to be cynical. This is just something that has always fascinated me- especially the whole face/body painting thing.

I will be in the shop making sawdust. There are a few bars down the hill so I will know when someone scores a touchdown because they will all be yelling, or when someone does something stupid because they will all say "awwwwwwwww" in unison. That always amuses me. I will look at Amy and say, "Somebody just did something."

So who else is in my minority group?

P.S. The commercials are cool. I usually Google those the next day.

Jim Koepke
02-05-2017, 6:40 PM
Count me as another not watching modern day gladiators.

Baseball sometimes catches my eye on the tube and maybe if my old home team or the Chicago Cubs are involved my attention might be held for a game. Baseball is more fun to play than it is to watch. At my age, there is not going to be a whole lot more running the bases and touching them all.

Candy likes to watch football if they are playing in the mud.

jtk

Chuck Pickering
02-05-2017, 6:52 PM
I am another pro sports non-watcher, except for NASCAR...

Chuck

Michael Dye
02-05-2017, 6:53 PM
When I was in school, we didn't have football. SE Alaska, lots of gravel, no grass. Never took a liking to the game. Now Moto GP and Formula 1, those are another story.

mike holden
02-05-2017, 6:57 PM
Chalk up another one for NASCAR, last football game I watched was half a game my freshman year in high school. Never like the idea that you could play a "perfect" game and lose. So team sports are just silly to me.
Yes, I know NASCAR is more of a team sport these days, but I began watching back when there was no communication with the driver except for a chalkboard held out as he passed the pits.
Yes, I am old. (grin)
Mike

Kev Williams
02-05-2017, 6:58 PM
Never much been into football myself. Or sports in general. Used to watch the Jazz when Karl & John were playing, but when Karl bailed I started losing interest. And when Brian Williams caused Jerry Sloan to up and quit, that was the final dagger in the heart. I got better things to do than watch millionaire spoiled brats play games.

Rich Riddle
02-05-2017, 7:12 PM
GO FALCONS. I just want to watch New England lose. The commercials are funny. Elephant on treadmill.

Mark Bolton
02-05-2017, 7:14 PM
Never been a fan of organized sports. Has always seemed like some of the worst components of the educational system. Never watch.

Todd Willhoit
02-05-2017, 7:17 PM
I am with you guys. It is even difficult having sports conversations because I don't know the players, stats, etc. - and I don't care to.

I may not always be productive, but my motto is: I do not have time to watch other people exercise.

Dave Lehnert
02-05-2017, 7:22 PM
I am not a sports fan at all. I do have it playing on TV but on the laptop going through SMC forum at the same time.
In a group conversation I can talk about most anything except sports and movies. I always felt if I had time to sit in a chair and watch them I should be doing something else.

Greg R Bradley
02-05-2017, 7:25 PM
I couldn't even tell you who is playing. Never mind, who cares?

Brian Henderson
02-05-2017, 7:41 PM
I'm not. I don't care. It's probably been 30+ years since I've watched a single sporting event and couldn't care less if I ever do again. What's the point of watching a bunch of overpaid primadonnas prancing around on a field?

Ralph Okonieski
02-05-2017, 7:41 PM
I do watch football on occasion but have never watched the Super bowl and am not starting now. Netflix and Amazon video are more interesting to me.

Tom Stenzel
02-05-2017, 7:49 PM
Of course the game is on upstairs. My wife is waiting for that annoying football stuff to stop so she can watch the half time show.

-Tom

John K Jordan
02-05-2017, 8:03 PM

I thought a super bowl was a really big turning, perhaps with fantastic figure or finish. I don't follow sports and refuse to waste time watching TV - haven't watched an hour of television in over 10 years now. I have way too much else I want to do.

I always thought it was silly for grown men to chant "We're #1" when they have nothing to do with that team except for perhaps being born in that area.

The worst thing is how football sometimes don't seem too sporting. It seems to make enemies out of people who would otherwise probably get along. Be in the wrong place at the wrong time and wear the wrong colors or have the wrong license plate and you might get yelled at or worse. My lifelong goal is to have football banned in the US. So far I haven't made much progress.

I have no idea when the game is or was, but I was probably in the shop or out mixing concrete setting a few more posts for the new peacock house.

And actually, I don't know the statistics - are the non-followers are actually a minority? Almost none of my friends here follow sports. I think my brother watches baseball.

JKJ

Jim Andrew
02-05-2017, 8:23 PM
I went to the football games my kids played in. But have trouble getting interested in any TV sports. My eldest son is a sports fan. But not me.

Bruce Wrenn
02-05-2017, 8:48 PM
Super Bore being play when? Just turned on for a minute and saw TWO bad calls on same play by ref's. Guess who The NFL wants to win

Mark Blatter
02-05-2017, 10:27 PM
Never much been into football myself. Or sports in general. Used to watch the Jazz when Karl & John were playing, but when Karl bailed I started losing interest. And when Brian Williams caused Jerry Sloan to up and quit, that was the final dagger in the heart. I got better things to do than watch millionaire spoiled brats play games.

Man after my own heart. I loved watching or listening Stockton and Malone play too. I realized after they were gone that I enjoyed the game because of them and not so much the game itself.

I haven't watch football for 25 years or more. I find I just don't care about sports at all. It seems like not only a waste of time, but takes so much effort, too much effort, to follow a team or a sport. If I had the time to watch sports, I would rather learn to play an instrument or something else productive. Am I an anti-sport snob? Maybe so, so I will apologize to anyone I have offended.

Bill Neely
02-06-2017, 2:53 AM
I stopped watching TV altogether about 25 years ago. I got a Roku just recently so my wife and I watch some Netflix for an hour or less a night.

I was a rabid sports fan, that all came to a halt when I quit drinking in 1982, woke up and realized how much time and emotional energy I was wasting.

Rich Engelhardt
02-06-2017, 3:22 AM
I lived and breathed the Browns - until Art Modell took them away.
After that, I decided to take my Sundays back and discovered there's a whole other world out there.
I haven't paid more than a passing interest in football since.

Rod Sheridan
02-06-2017, 8:27 AM
I'm in the same boat Malcolm.

It's like hockey, a bunch of grown men chasing a tuna tin while on skates.

If I want to skate I'll pick a nice scenic place, not a rink.........I guess I must have lost my "male" license somewhere along the way:D

regards, Rod.

Bradley Gray
02-06-2017, 8:33 AM
Never have, never will

Rick Moyer
02-06-2017, 9:43 AM
Well, I guess someone has to be the contrarian in this conversation. While I am not an AVID sports watcher (I was actually flipping channels during the Super Bowl), I must say that I actually feel sorry for folks who do not enjoy sports. Sports in general are a great metaphor of life. The competition, the camaraderie, the struggles to overcome failure, the joys of success, both individual and shared, the bond of a team much like a family, the facing of challenges, overcoming odds, etc. The lessons learned playing sports are second only to those we should learn from our parents.

Now, if your saying you're just not interested in one particular thing, e.g. the Super Bowl, I get that. I feel the same way about any number of pomp and circumstance things that are directed towards us these days. So if someone doesn't like the hoopla, or the participants, etc. I understand. But I will again say that if sports in general disinterest you I feel badly for you. To each there own however. We all have different interests.

glenn bradley
02-06-2017, 9:51 AM

I have to laugh at myself. A couple weeks ago I was trying to schedule a get together to work on a common project with another guy. I mentioned this weekend as a likely time. He just stared at me for a moment. Then, as if speaking to a child he said "Its Superbowl Sunday".

I managed to not give my usual response of "Oh, is it football season?". Instead I simply said "the weekend after is good too".

Malcolm Schweizer
02-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Well, I guess someone has to be the contrarian in this conversation. While I am not an AVID sports watcher (I was actually flipping channels during the Super Bowl), I must say that I actually feel sorry for folks who do not enjoy sports. Sports in general are a great metaphor of life. The competition, the camaraderie, the struggles to overcome failure, the joys of success, both individual and shared, the bond of a team much like a family, the facing of challenges, overcoming odds, etc. The lessons learned playing sports are second only to those we should learn from our parents.

Now, if your saying you're just not interested in one particular thing, e.g. the Super Bowl, I get that. I feel the same way about any number of pomp and circumstance things that are directed towards us these days. So if someone doesn't like the hoopla, or the participants, etc. I understand. But I will again say that if sports in general disinterest you I feel badly for you. To each there own however. We all have different interests.

I race sailboats and got into drag racing and autocross for a while. I don't watch any organized sports. I prefer to actually play the sports, but not ball sports. I find them to be a bit silly- chasing a ball up and down a court/field. Auto and boat racing I find more practical, i.e. The skills I can use in life more than how well I can throw or catch a ball. I work closely with America's Cup in my "real job" and enjoy getting to meet the crew and see the boats up close, but even then I never watch the races. Watching other people do what I love isn't my idea of fun. I prefer to spend the time in the boat doing it myself. Don't read this in a sarcastic way- I just don't get watching others play sports. I get the challenge of planning out a game play by play, but I'm not into watching others do it.

Brian Henderson
02-06-2017, 11:19 AM

There's a difference between playing sports and living vicariously watching someone else do it.

Mark Blatter
02-06-2017, 11:41 AM

I enjoy playing sports, but I don't enjoy watching sports anymore. I see little camaraderie in sitting on the couch and watching men, or women, get paid millions to play a game. It doesn't matter what the game is, you are just a bystander and nothing else. If you work for a team, different story. If you play for a different team, different story. I suggest that watching sports is a great metaphor for too many in life....sitting and watching the world go by instead of living life.

Roger Feeley
02-06-2017, 12:39 PM
The bride and I took in a movie last night. If you've ever driven in the DC area, there are certain choke points that always seem to be backed up. My wife runs a radio as we get ready for bed around 10 and they do traffic reports. Almost always Highway 66 is backed up eastbound around Falls Church where we live, even on Sunday night when you would expect no one to be on the road!

We've lived here for a year and I can say with certainty, that we've encountered a jam on 66 getting home every time. Last night was different. We sailed right through. So I say to all you Super Bowl fans, "keep it up". Hmmm... maybe the Capitals will win the Stanley Cup. Maybe the Nationals will bring the World Series to town. I would view those as date nights.

Chris Padilla
02-06-2017, 12:48 PM
I love and watch sports--especially football and baseball. Basketball and hockey are a bit lower on the list. I love the Olympics, Winter and Summer, and my daughter did gymnastics for 10 years before moving on to volleyball and she is now starting track and field (she is a freshman in high school). I've always been active and enjoy moving around and competition and such.

On the other hand, my tile setter, who is working on the side for me and therefore can only work on the weekend, is from Canada and the only real sport to watch in the world is hockey. So he was plugging away tiling our daughter's bathroom whilst I took in the game. He finished the tile and will grout next weekend so the end is in sight! :)

Steve Peterson
02-06-2017, 12:52 PM
I missed it, just like most of the last 30 or 40 seasons. It amazes me how much time and energy is wasted on professional sports. Everyone complains about how today's kids spend so much time on social media, yet there are quite a few adults that spend their ENTIRE weekend watching sports.

We took the kids skiing and the slopes cleared out around 2:00. Then we stopped at a restaurant for dinner and were the only people in the entire pace. We showed up right at the halftime show, and the kids seemed to like that.

Steve

Wade Lippman
02-06-2017, 1:00 PM
I was happy when we had 2 boys, so my wife would have someone to watch football with!
Turns out they aren't any more interested than I am.

I've never figured out why anyone would care about this stuff. I admire their skill, but that they get paid to play in a city near me; so what?

Mac McQuinn
02-06-2017, 2:35 PM
Count me out, just too many other things I'd rather do. I can't figure out why a network station who's not carrying the game shows re-runs all evening. It's as if they figure everyone is also watching the game.
Mac

Andy Giddings
02-06-2017, 4:06 PM
Never understood why the viewers put up with a game that shouldn't last more than 2 hours being padded out by relentless stops for commercials - no continuity at all to my mind. Rugby (6 Nations championship in Europe is on) is a much better game, only one stoppage for half time (barring injuries), no body armor or helmets, and they tackle just as hard as Football. And you're done in 90mins

Mike Cozad
02-07-2017, 8:55 AM
Count me out as well. Another twist I'll add is that I really don't get folks that watch college sports and support a specific school. Working in manufacturing I have always chuckled at employees that talk much smack about a new young supervisor or other role that is college educated. How they don't know anything and that college educated folks are blah, blah, blah. Then as that same conversation evolves they go on a rant about how "their team" played over the weekend. They didn't go to that school, or any other for that matter, but have some weird allegiance to them in sports.

I just don't get the logic.

John Stankus
02-07-2017, 11:41 AM
It's 10:38 am on Tuesday and I am not watching the Super Bowl :)

Pat Barry
02-07-2017, 12:38 PM
This thread shows why its great to be an American. There are so many folks who don't care and therefore are available to work while the rest of us enjoy the game!

Wade Lippman
02-07-2017, 2:36 PM
Then as that same conversation evolves they go on a rant about how "their team" played over the weekend. They didn't go to that school, or any other for that matter, but have some weird allegiance to them in sports.

I just don't get the logic.

They want to be part of something bigger than themselves. I guess. I donno.

Why does everyone watch swimming or XC skiing on the Olympics? Couldn't possibly be more boring and they certainly wouldn't watch it if it wasn't the Olympics.

Brian Henderson
02-07-2017, 4:26 PM
They want to be part of something bigger than themselves. I guess. I donno.

Why does everyone watch swimming or XC skiing on the Olympics? Couldn't possibly be more boring and they certainly wouldn't watch it if it wasn't the Olympics.

I don't. Haven't watched the Olympics in decades either. Zero interest.

Roger Feeley
02-08-2017, 3:30 PM
Cool. I love Americas Cup ever since they allowed the new boats. My hope is that some of that tech will make its way down the food chain to us mortals. Like the wing sail. I've been following it for a long time and haven't seen a boat I could afford with a wing.

Roger Feeley
02-08-2017, 3:34 PM
I don't. Haven't watched the Olympics in decades either. Zero interest.

I like curling in the winter olympics. Any sport where the consumption of beer during competition is encouraged is special

Malcolm Schweizer
02-08-2017, 5:04 PM
Cool. I love Americas Cup ever since they allowed the new boats. My hope is that some of that tech will make its way down the food chain to us mortals. Like the wing sail. I've been following it for a long time and haven't seen a boat I could afford with a wing.

Since you asked, this is one of the few that I have been given permission to share. So much carbon fiber in that place.

Wing sails are too complicated and can't be reefed- I've had that conversation many times. Inflatable battens and inflatable foils are, however, very much the future of sailing for the masses.

Joe Tilson
02-11-2017, 9:44 PM
I'm getting in on this late, but have even stopped watching NASCAR, much less pro sports of any other kinds. I'm going to stop watching college football if they don't stop killing the whole game with commercials. The pros have gotten to the point they're spoiled brats. They whine and cry while making gazillions of dollars. NASCAR just can't leave racing alone. They change the rules daily, it seems, and it has become a joke. Dale Earnhart said it best; Shut up and race.

David Freed
02-12-2017, 8:03 AM

There was one sports (?) team I wanted to be on in high school (decades ago). Other than that I didn't and still don't, care about sports of any kind unless you call tractor pulling a sport.

I wanted to be on the weightlifting team. They wouldn't let me unless I joined another sport also.

The ironic part was, in PE I was 2nd place in the history of the school in weightlifting. I'm out of shape now but can still do my part when it comes to heavy lifting.