PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant solution, thanks Stewie

Phil Mueller
02-04-2017, 11:58 PM
Being left handed with my vise on the right side has always presented some challenges with regard to workholding and right handed tools...like my Record 44.

Needing to do a few rabbets today, I went though my usual thoughts of putting in some more dog holes on the left side of my bench, and all sorts of battens and such. Then I remembered a post from Stewie showing him using a saw guide straight edge clamp upside down.

Gave it a try. Worked like a charm. Great tip, Stewie. Thanks!

William Fretwell
02-05-2017, 8:35 AM
I'm confused! That's exactly what dog holes in a bench are supposed to do.

glenn bradley
02-05-2017, 8:40 AM

Right, but he didn't have to drill them. I assume that was what he wanted to avoid.

Frederick Skelly
02-05-2017, 9:55 AM

Yup. But this is just another good way to skin that cat. Personally, I really like hearing alternate solutions - never know when I'll need one! :)

Phil Mueller
02-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Ha - William and Glenn you are both right. I confess I am inflicted with some kind of phobia on drilling holes in my bench.

Barry Richardson
02-05-2017, 11:30 AM
I like it! The challenge is whether I can remember it when the need arises.........

Joe Bailey
02-05-2017, 11:40 AM

Note also that the OP's solution has the added benefit of adjustability, as opposed to a fixed-hole system.

William Fretwell
02-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Note also that the OP's solution has the added benefit of adjustability, as opposed to a fixed-hole system.

A creative solution when you don't have dog holes for sure.
You do force me to point out that 'fixed' holes and at least 1 in a tail vise is infinitely adjustable for the length of the bench, but you knew that.
Every aspect of my work bench was designed around the dog holes. Perhaps when Phil's work surface gets old and beaten up he will drill a few holes.
Phil you have a very nice looking bench, you just need to drill 'nice' holes! I'm guessing you have not yet added an end vise or you wouldn't be able to resist drilling holes!

David Eisenhauer
02-05-2017, 12:21 PM
I have seen a Paul Sellars video where he does something similar with a bar clamp held in his face vise. Phil, what is that Veritas screw-down type holdfast stuck in the leg for?

Dave Zellers
02-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Sellers.

Happens to all of us... :)

Phil Mueller
02-05-2017, 1:26 PM
You guys are killing me. Go ahead, laugh and make fun of my disease! When I made the bench, I bought two of those Veritas hold downs because a deadman with holes and no hold down was just plain silly. Eventually, I worked my self up to drilling holes in the leg and 4 holes along the rear edge of the bench top. They are used to hold battens, birdmouths, and wider work pieces. The therapy sessions have been working. Once I get over the end vise phobia, perhaps I'll install one and a FEW more holes will be drilled :rolleyes:

Jerry Olexa
02-05-2017, 2:29 PM
Ah, one of the many perils of WWing!!

William Fretwell
02-05-2017, 8:08 PM
Once I get over the end vise phobia, perhaps I'll install one and a FEW more holes will be drilled :rolleyes:

I think most of understand completely! When you do the end vise thing I can lend you a decent drill bit to make holes if you need one. Those spade bits are not for a bench!

Andrew Pitonyak
02-05-2017, 8:54 PM
... Then I remembered a post from Stewie showing him using a saw guide straight edge clamp upside down.

Gave it a try. Worked like a charm. Great tip, Stewie. Thanks!

well, you know Stewie, smarter than the average bear! I have gleaned a bunch of useful and interesting information from his posts. I had missed that post, however, I need to remember it

Stewie Simpson
02-05-2017, 9:02 PM
well, you know Stewie, smarter than the average bear! I have gleaned a bunch of useful and interesting information from his posts. I had missed that post, however, I need to remember it

You might want to ease up on those type of statements Andrew. This cats already lost 8 out of his 9 lives.

Stewie;

Andrew Pitonyak
02-06-2017, 10:27 AM
You might want to ease up on those type of statements Andrew. This cats already lost 8 out of his 9 lives.

Stewie;

And I'll bet a couple of those curious cats lost their lives to some kind of sharpening stone right? :D

Stewie Simpson
02-06-2017, 6:39 PM
I suppose the "smarter than the average bear" comment needs to be checked against "number of picnic baskets procured through stealth".

Apologies to Andrew, I mistook the meaning within your comments. I was never a fan of watching Yogi Bear on tv. In Australia we don't have the type of bears you have in the USA.

regards Stewie;

Patrick Chase
02-06-2017, 6:56 PM
Ha - William and Glenn you are both right. I confess I am inflicted with some kind of phobia on drilling holes in my bench.

Invest in a high-quality long 3/4 brad-point bit (mine is 9" IIRC) and that phobia will disappear :-)

Pat Barry
02-06-2017, 7:19 PM
Andrew; any information within my posts that are not based on my own experience, a link is provided to avoid being accused of plagiarism. That I find your comments of great concern is an understatement.

Stewie;
You must not get Yogi Bear cartoons down under

Patrick Chase
02-06-2017, 10:08 PM
You must not get Yogi Bear cartoons down under

IIRC they don't have any bears period. Koalas (and their fictitious "drop"-ish cousins) are marsupials, and don't count.

Stewie, bears are famous for finding creative ways to steal food from humans, to the point where frustrated park rangers have theorized an intelligence overlap between the species (https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/08/security_is_a_t.html). Andrew was making a joke that played off of that. It wasn't at your expense.

Dave Zellers
02-06-2017, 10:42 PM
I know I shouldn't do this but that won't stop me.

It's not 'picknic' baskets.

It's 'pick-a-nic' baskets.

Sheesh.

Andrew Pitonyak
02-06-2017, 11:10 PM
Apologies to Andrew, I mistook the meaning within your comments. I was never a fan of watching Yogi Bear on tv. In Australia we don't have the type of bears you have in the USA.

regards Stewie;

Oh Stewie, I am very sorry. My comments assumed that you were familiar with a popular cartoon here in the states where a bear spends all his time procuring picnic baskets with amusing antics. For certain no apologies required from you!

It saddens me that I caused you any distress at all.

My humblest apologies!

:confused:

Stewie Simpson
02-07-2017, 12:10 AM
Andrew; I have replied to your pm.

regards Stewie;

Dave Zellers
02-07-2017, 12:56 AM
This is all tongue in cheek right? Somebody please tell me we're not seriously apologizing over a cartoon from fifty years ago.
This forum is confusing to say the least.

Andrew Pitonyak
02-07-2017, 2:24 PM
This is all tongue in cheek right? Somebody please tell me we're not seriously apologizing over a cartoon from fifty years ago.

I made a statement that played off that cartoon. Stewie was not familiar with the cartoon and without that context, it was possible to interpret as a personal offense.

I have spent time working with internationals, so I have experienced many things that I assumed would be no offense, but in context of another is highly offensive; for example, showing the bottom of your feet or a "come here" motion that in a certain country is used to summon a prostitute.

Dave Zellers
02-07-2017, 4:04 PM
OK. I should have just stayed out of it but last night at one in the morning I guess I was feeling preachy.

;)

Tim Cooper Louisiana
02-07-2017, 5:41 PM

What Dave, you didn't know that Neanderthals were famous for their feathers? They tend to be ruffled rather easily.

Brian Holcombe
02-07-2017, 6:41 PM
What Dave, you didn't know that Neanderthals were famous for their feathers? They tend to be ruffled rather easily.

Oh please, one need only say 'SawStop' on the other side of the fence. :D

Edwin Santos
02-07-2017, 6:52 PM
I have spent time working with internationals, so I have experienced many things that I assumed would be no offense, but in context of another is highly offensive; for example, showing the bottom of your feet or a "come here" motion that in a certain country is used to summon a prostitute.

Japan? Maybe Thailand?

Don't leave us hanging

Andrew Pitonyak
02-07-2017, 7:08 PM
Japan? Maybe Thailand?

Don't leave us hanging

The prostitute thing was Japan and the foot is the middle east.

Edwin Santos
02-07-2017, 7:20 PM
Thanks, never know when these cultural tips will spare an unintentional insult.

Patrick Chase
02-07-2017, 8:20 PM

Why would there be any debate or feather-ruffling about something that should obviously be a legislatively-mandated safety feature?

Tim Cooper Louisiana
02-07-2017, 8:32 PM

Thats a well made point :cool:

Dave Zellers
02-07-2017, 9:28 PM
LOL to everything above.

My attitude is to defer to Andrew's sensitivities and acknowledge the international difficulties.

I'm pretty new here, but have already learned much about sharpening from this forum, and I'm in awe of the woodworking skills assembled here.

In my 65 years of experience, it is the creative, productive people who have the most animated and useful discussions. The last thing I want to do is alienate the very people I'm trying to learn from.

Brian Holcombe
02-07-2017, 9:35 PM
Why would there be any debate or feather-ruffling about something that should obviously be a legislatively-mandated safety feature?

He's baited the hook!

Dave Zellers
02-07-2017, 9:57 PM
He's baited the hook!
I can't believe the SS kerfuffle has infiltrated the Neander Forum!

Maybe I should get busy and invent the ChiselStop.

Brian Holcombe
02-07-2017, 10:07 PM
I'll settle for the ryoba-stop. :D

Dave Zellers
02-07-2017, 10:10 PM
I'll settle for the ryoba-stop. :D
I'm on it.

But you're going to have to plug it in.

Stewie Simpson
02-07-2017, 10:19 PM
It would be nice is some of you guys could invent the lip zipper. Yeah, I stuffed up with the interpretation what was being communicated to me. I apologised to Andrew for it. That you wish to continue dragging my mistake through the mud tells me a great deal about some of those I am dealing with on this forum. One in particular, that I had a great deal of respect for with his traditional approach to his work. Don't bother replying to this post gents.

regards;

Dave Zellers
02-07-2017, 10:34 PM
Oh for Heavens sake. Lighten up. It isn't about you. It's about the situation.

There is another expression:

Sometimes you eat the bear, Sometimes the bear eats you.

Dave Zellers
02-07-2017, 10:38 PM
That you wish to continue dragging my mistake through the mud....

You didn't make a mistake! How could you have known?

Patrick Chase
02-07-2017, 10:59 PM
It would be nice is some of you guys could invent the lip zipper. Yeah, I stuffed up with the interpretation what was being communicated to me. I apologised to Andrew for it. That you wish to continue dragging my mistake through the mud tells me a great deal about some of those I am dealing with on this forum. One in particular, that I had a great deal of respect for with his traditional approach to his work. Don't bother replying to this post gents.

regards;

Stewie, I'm going to be sincere here for a moment.

You didn't make a mistake. Miscommunications happen, and we all laugh and move on. Being able to joke about it (as we are here) is part of that process. Groups that don't do that become dysfunctional in a hurry.

Nobody is laughing at your expense right now, especially not after you opened up in the "good for the soul" thread. It takes courage to do that.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled menu of pointless debates and good (?) natured trolling.

Brian Holcombe
02-07-2017, 11:26 PM
Stewie, no offense was intended. I was attempting to lighten the mood, and apparently working in vain.