PDA

View Full Version : Dad's Sorby carving tools

Howard Skillington
02-04-2017, 8:20 PM
I am a furniture maker, but not a carver. My late father's estate includes a beautiful set of Robert Sorby carving tools. I will be glad to place a classified ad on this site, but have no idea what would be a fair value for them.

He bought them new, I believe about thirty years ago. There are eighteen tools, which I find online can be purchased as two complimentary sets, along with a case he built for them.

I understand that experienced carvers will be looking to add particular tools that they don't have yet, while I will only sell these as a set. Any suggestions the carver community might have for how I list these and an appropriate price for the set would be appreciated.

mike holden
02-05-2017, 7:19 PM
Given the condition, I would consider $20 per tool a fair price. That means $360 for the set. Problem is: finding someone who wants the set. So, it comes down to how long you are willing to let them sit till they get sold. Parting them out will sell the majority of them quicker, but you will wind up with a few that no one seems to want. Your call. Your mileage may vary.
Mike

Howard Skillington
02-05-2017, 7:46 PM
Makes sense, Mike. Thanks for the helpful advice.

Ted Reischl
02-06-2017, 5:05 PM
One thing you might want to do? Run them through a demagnetizer. A lot of guys who hand sharpen tools know that putting the tools on a magnetic strip magnetizes them a bit. Then, when trying to sharpen, the ground off steel builds a nasty little fuzz ball on the edge of the tool.

Rockler sells one for not much money, like 5 bucks or something.

My advice is to sell them individually.

Someone above said $20 apiece. I don't think so, that set sells new for around $590, $320 is getting close to half price. Those tools do not appear to have been used a whole lot. Carving tools and chisels are not like old used drill bits. They tend to hold their value extremely well.

I bought mine about 30 years ago, those same tools today would cost me about 30% more, so I could sell them for more than I paid for them.

Howard Skillington
02-07-2017, 7:28 AM
I would have thought so, Ted, but have no experience of what carvers are accustomed to paying for prime vintage tools. Thanks for the tip about the demagnetizer. I would not have thought of that, but have experienced magnetized fuzz at a drill press, and it can be tiresome.