PDA

View Full Version : Just assembled Contractor SawStop - could use advice

Doug Hobkirk
02-04-2017, 7:21 PM
Earlier today I assembled a contractor saw with mobile base. I did this for a workshop in a non-profit - the shop is about 500 sq. ft. and has maybe 15-10 different workers interspersed through the week. Safety is a big issue - ironically, I was the strongest advocate, and I personally am not very focused on safety. It took about 5 hours, and I had help on the mobile base and hoisting the TS body onto the base. Big, heavy, awkward - getting the 4 bolts into the 4 corners to attach to the base required contortions. But that all seems normal.

They did not get the cast iron wings. But did get an extra stop cartridge. The pallet and boxes were all perfect, no damage, nothing bent or dented.

Specs: the motor is 1.75 HP induction, weight with mobile base = 285#, top including wings = 44" x 27" (each wing adds 12", so the iron table = 20" wide ?)

I was very impressed by:

the overall quality, ESPECIALLY the motor
the packaging, including the hardware. Each nut/bolt/washer could be accessed through perforated cardboard, and each part was labeled with a number that coordinated with the instructions. Use :"3 #14" is easier than "3 8 mm shouldered bolts".
Instructions (overdone, actually)
I never realized that the fence on a TS could go on either side. Seemed to dial in quite easily.
I used a 24 x 36 square to check the fence - seemed right on.

I was not impressed by (and wonder if I am missing something):

the R & L wings seem flimsy and are difficult to level with the iron saw top. I used a 4' level from the shop (so pretty rough) and adjusted the bolts on the front fence (aluminum with 7 embedded square head bolts) and the 2 back pieces on angle steel stock (3 bolts each). I had to use a big clamp to apply tension upward on the end of each wing to get it pretty level and then cinch the 3 bolts on each. Is there some trick to do it better?
I will bring in my so-so straight edge and excellent levels for round # 2.
the 2 fixed wheels on the mobile base force me to plan ahead before moving it, because the non-swivel wheels don't allow any sideways movement whatsoever - seems like 4 swivels would be vastly, vastly better, but I will examine it more carefully. And I know we won't move the saw often, but it is sold as a "contractor's" saw, and it seems like it'd be tough on a job site.

I enjoyed building the saw. I never buy new tools for myself, so it was quite a joy to see how something like this went together.

Any general advice welcomed. Thanks!

PS My TS is a Ryobi 3000 (?) slider model from years ago with the motor built into the mechanism. When the motor goes, the saw is gone. I think the SawStop motor probably weighs more than my entire TS. If I decide to cut a bunch of maple for cutting boards, I will be doing it at the HGRM workshop.

phil harold
02-04-2017, 8:40 PM
If I decide to cut a bunch of maple for cutting boards, I will be doing it at the HGRM workshop.
Well I dont know how much power your ryobi had but our dewalt portable saws seem to have more power than than our sawtop contractor's model
It also has the sloppiest Mitre guage I have ever used.

I am not impressed with the sawstop and changing cartiridges to go to a dado stack and back, just take more time than it is worth
Imho

Nick Decker
02-05-2017, 3:43 AM
Phil, are you saying that the miter gauge on the SawStop contractor is even worse than the one on the Dewalt? Don't see how that would be possible.

Nick Decker
02-05-2017, 3:48 AM
Doug, nice to hear some specifics on the SS contractor. Not many reviews of it out there.

Know what you mean on trying to move things with two fixed wheels. It's kind of a "well, yes, you can move it if you really have to" deal.

Roger Marty
02-05-2017, 8:51 AM
I considered the SS Contractor because I was willing to pay up to $1800 for a saw. But it actually takes more room than the cabinet version and doesn't have dust collection??

In any case I started the hobby with a Ridgid R4512 and will upgrade at some point with hopefully no flesh accidents before then.

I am personally quite willing to pay an extra $1000 for an insurance policy. What I'd really like is a saw like the Ridgid R4512 with flesh sensing tech for $1500 (versus the $500 I paid). Good size, easily movable, good dust collection, and still manageable at 280 pounds.

Lee Schierer
02-05-2017, 9:15 AM
I would recommend that you not use clamps to force parts into position. When I shimmed my TS with cast iron wings, to raise the outer end of a wing, I placed a shim under the bolts along the bottom edge of the wing. This would tilt the table. If the table was too high on the outer edge place the shim above the bolt.

As for squaring the fence to the blade. It is best to align the blade to the miter slot and align the fence to the miter slot. I clamp a dial indicator to my miter gauge and move the fence close to the slot so the dial indicator probe touches the fence face. Slide the miter gauge across the table monitoring the read out. Adjust the fence until the read out is the same at the front and back of the saw table.

Any slop in the miter slot to miter gauge bar can be removed by applying UHMW tape to one or both sides of the miter gauge bar. UHMW tape comes in various thicknesses so you should be able to eliminate all side play while getting a smooth sliding miter gauge.

chase standifer
02-05-2017, 11:04 AM
I have really enjoyed my SS Contractor. I move every three years or so and I purchased it more for the weight side of mobility than the wheels. I don't use the mobile base often but Im sure a four wheel version like the one for the larger models would work much easier.

I have no issues changing out the cartridge, it adds probably less than a minute when switching over to a dado blade. I spend more time figuring out the combination of dado blades than switching out the cartridge. I also haven't had much of a problem with power as long as I take my time with the cute. I cut 8/4 pretty regularly.

Roger Marty
02-05-2017, 1:39 PM
What about dust collection?

chase standifer
02-05-2017, 4:23 PM
I did buy the dust collection panel, using a CV1800 and mostly 6" pipe it is adequate. It doesn't get everything by any means but I'm willing to bet that is quite a bit better than most other contractor saws. There is a pretty good chute under the arbor to direct the dust down, it is obvious they at least attempted to collect dust. I do think they should include the dust collection panel for the cost of the saw. I have considered doing some modifications to try and better seal off the cabinet but I have never gotten around to it.

phil harold
02-06-2017, 7:03 AM
Phil, are you saying that the miter gauge on the SawStop contractor is even worse than the one on the Dewalt? Don't see how that would be possible.

The slot the mitre bar sides in is very sloppy and when the quadrant is tightened down it still still move on the pivot of the mitre gauge
one of our mitre gauges does a decent job on our dewalt

Shawn Pixley
02-06-2017, 11:28 AM
I got the SS contractor saw a number of years ago before the PCS was out. I have cast Iron wings, integrated folding outfeed table, professional fence, dust collection enclosure, under wing storage, mobility kit, and router on the right side. My shop is a garage so the saw moves anytime there is a woodworking day.

Once you get it dialed in, you may never have to set it up again. Somewher in the archives is a post with pictures. Unfortunately, I don't have time to find it right now.

I love the saw.

mike liuzzo
02-06-2017, 12:59 PM
DOUG! WHATS UP MAN?!?!?!

so hgrm got a sawstop? cool!

i have no advice on your sawstop sorry :(

ps, i still have the big wrench i borrowed from you...

Ben Rivel
02-06-2017, 2:36 PM
Get rid of those stamped wings it comes with and order the cast iron ones. Off eBay they are only ~$200 shipped for both. Then add the dust collection shroud. Those are necessary upgrades for the contractor saw IMO.