PDA

View Full Version : Got my new Freud box joint blade

Jack Wood
10-13-2005, 7:22 AM
Well I have to say that right out of the box this thing is a no brainer to use, which is a good thing for me. I don't have a lot of experience with box joints but the dial a dado set I had made it very hard to set the size and it tore the back of most wood to shreds. My first try with the Freud produced a perfectly flat bottom squared up slot that was tight and made me say WOW! While it might not have the flexibility of a regular dado, for me the two sizes it offers are the two I see myself using for my box joints, and if I need perfect slots cut for glass or boards in a project this works as well with a perfectly flat bottom and square sides. So for me this was a good buy.:)

Bob Winkler
10-13-2005, 7:45 AM
Jack,

Where did you purchase it from? I've been seriously looking at it also.

Bob

Jeff Sudmeier
10-13-2005, 9:10 AM
It sure does make sense to use a blade that is meant to cut the joint. It also seems like it does a much better job! Glad to hear that it is working well for you.

Dennis McDonaugh
10-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Well I have to say that right out of the box this thing is a no brainer to use, which is a good thing for me. I don't have a lot of experience with box joints but the dial a dado set I had made it very hard to set the size and it tore the back of most wood to shreds. My first try with the Freud produced a perfectly flat bottom squared up slot that was tight and made me say WOW! While it might not have the flexibility of a regular dado, for me the two sizes it offers are the two I see myself using for my box joints, and if I need perfect slots cut for glass or boards in a project this works as well with a perfectly flat bottom and square sides. So for me this was a good buy.:)

Jack, do you mind if I ask a few questions about the technique you were using to make the box joints with the stack dado?

Steve Clardy
10-13-2005, 3:01 PM
Seen one of those advertised in Hatrvilles catalog I believe. Looks like a winner!!

Jack Wood
10-13-2005, 5:57 PM
Bob I got it from Klingspors for $79.95 plus $6.00 shipping, very fast shipping. Dennis you can ask but everything I'm doing in regards to box-joints is for the first time:D I just got the box-joint jig from Woodcraft and I'm learning how to use it. I know that you can make them, but I liked the easy adjusting features on it and it's construction. The dado set I was using was a Craftsman dial a width type. I never could get it set right and the cut it made was brutal. It was given to me for free and was unused, but I won't use it again.

Corey Hallagan
10-13-2005, 7:44 PM
That is great Jack! I want that. I also understand now what you meant when your old dado shredds everything. I had one of those craftsman wobble dado blades and wow, that is a scarey blade. I looked the dado after I cut it and thought... hmmph.... thats what a dado look like huh... don't look like that in the book. Always used a router to do dados. Now I got my Freud SD206 which I just got back from Freud. I had a problem that they fixed right up!! Was PM'ng Charles one of the CS & Developement people around the forums from Freud and I told him folks were liking the new Box Blade set and he told me that he was part of the development team and he also wrote the instructions that come with it. I got to get one!

Corey

John Shuk
10-13-2005, 7:51 PM
Well I couldn't find it at Sears but I did manage to return a wobble dado blade for a store credit. The closest Tool store said that he isn't going to stock it but he'll order me one. I'll have to see if Santa is going to get it for me for X-mas. It sounds awesome.

Dennis McDonaugh
10-13-2005, 9:46 PM
Bob I got it from Klingspors for $79.95 plus $6.00 shipping, very fast shipping. Dennis you can ask but everything I'm doing in regards to box-joints is for the first time:D I just got the box-joint jig from Woodcraft and I'm learning how to use it. I know that you can make them, but I liked the easy adjusting features on it and it's construction. The dado set I was using was a Craftsman dial a width type. I never could get it set right and the cut it made was brutal. It was given to me for free and was unused, but I won't use it again.

Never mind Jack. Good luck with your new Toys!