PDA

View Full Version : Tools Rolling off the Bench Solutions?

Mark R Webster
02-04-2017, 3:32 PM
Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have come up with a good solution for preventing your smaller chisels, Tite-Mark marking guage or other tools with round handles from rolling off your benches. (I know.. I know, level my work bench ;) ) I have had chisels with flats that worked well. The tools that are bothering me the most is a screwdriver I bought from Lie Nielsen and the Tite-Mark. Have any of you gone radical and added some flats on your chisels or made a flat on the Tite-Mark fence?
Thanks
Mark

Lee Schierer
02-04-2017, 3:55 PM
My father solved this problem by milling a flat on all the round handles. This flat prevented them from rolling on a flat surface and also gave him a tactile feel of the working end oritentation by where the flat was in his hand.

Matt Evans
02-04-2017, 4:06 PM
Really easy. . .put enough other stuff on your workbench that you can't work on it. Nothing you care about falls off the bench that way.

I currently have a chisel rack attached to the bench that also holds an awl, a marking knife, square, dovetail square, etc. i have square and oval marking gauges at the moment, but a round shaft would fit in the chisel rack just fine.

When I didn't have a chisel rack built into the bench, I came up with chisel racks that hung on the wall with french cleats, then when I needed a set (along with square, pencil, awl, etc.) it would sit on the bench on its own.

steven c newman
02-04-2017, 4:09 PM
Screwdriver rolling off the bench? Stick it into the nearest dog hole. Chisels, too.

Mark R Webster
02-04-2017, 4:10 PM
I will have to add a few things to my bench ;-). Nice solutions! thanks!

Mark R Webster
02-04-2017, 4:12 PM
Hmmm... that's a thought :)

Bruce Page
02-04-2017, 4:15 PM
I use a piece of the perforated rubber shelf liner. It also works good as a sanding pad.

Prashun Patel
02-04-2017, 4:39 PM
I have a 2x4 that has a series of v notches along the broad side. I hold fast this to the bench, and then rest my gauge, squares, chisels, mallet, and knife, even my saw, during a dovetailing session.

This is a drawing, not an actual picture.

Mark R Webster
02-04-2017, 4:50 PM
Nice solution thanks!

Stewie Simpson
02-04-2017, 5:57 PM
An outcome of this discussion should be an appreciation of why some earlier bench designs included a tool well.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-04-2017, 6:02 PM
Really easy. . .put enough other stuff on your workbench that you can't work on it. Nothing you care about falls off the bench that way.

I currently have a chisel rack attached to the bench that also holds an awl, a marking knife, square, dovetail square, etc. i have square and oval marking gauges at the moment, but a round shaft would fit in the chisel rack just fine.

When I didn't have a chisel rack built into the bench, I came up with chisel racks that hung on the wall with french cleats, then when I needed a set (along with square, pencil, awl, etc.) it would sit on the bench on its own.

That's a great idea for a portable tool holder.

Mark R Webster
02-04-2017, 6:13 PM
You are right Stewie :)

Frederick Skelly
02-04-2017, 7:00 PM
Screwdriver rolling off the bench? Stick it into the nearest dog hole. Chisels, too.

Exactly what I do - awls, screwdrivers, narrow chisels, nearly any round tool that fits a 3/4" hole.

Jim Koepke
02-04-2017, 7:23 PM
There have been a few dog holes drilled along the back of my bench. With a couple of tall dogs and a long piece of 1X1 against it, noting goes off the back of the bench without first hopping over the 'fence.'

For chisels, something like Prashun uses, though mine is made of pieces of scrap and glued:

This used to be mounted on a board on the wall in my California shop.

This is the very reason why if I ever build a bench it will have a tool tray.

jtk

Joe A Faulkner
02-04-2017, 7:46 PM
My Bench is against a wall. I have a chisel rack on the wall which was originally intended to be used for chisels being used during a given work session. This worked well until it slowly got filled with misc. chisels and a few screw drivers that found their way into my shop. I intend at some point to add an open shelf above the bench that can be a temporary holding spot for planes. Marking gauges, squares, marking knife, jointer mallet, hand broom all hang on the wall. I think having a shelf reserved for keeping tools at hand but off the bench will work well in my situation. For chisels I plan to make a bigger rack.

jack duren
02-04-2017, 8:15 PM
Boxes on the sides.....

Glen Johnson
02-04-2017, 8:18 PM
This is my second generation of my bench caddy. A row in the back and front hold chisels, screw drivers, etc. Slots hold combination squares, bevel squares, and rulers. Two round holes are for my mallet and a plastic cups cup that holds odds and ends like markng knives, pencils, cailipers, and dividers. A bottom drawer hold a whole package of sharpened pencils, bifocal work glasses, utility knife, and folding square. Two handles make it easy to move where I am working or off the bench if needed.

Bob Glenn
02-04-2017, 8:59 PM
I hate round handles. Octagon handles for all tools. Better grip too.

andy bessette
02-04-2017, 9:07 PM
Make sure your bench is stabile, that it doesn't move around while you are working. My small woodworking bench is heavily weighted with (2) 60-lb lead pigs + a bunch of heavy stuff stored in it.

Mark R Webster
02-04-2017, 9:14 PM
Nice solution!

Mark R Webster
02-04-2017, 9:15 PM
That is kinda where I was leaning thanks
Mark

Mark R Webster
02-04-2017, 9:17 PM
Thanks Jim!

Mark R Webster
02-04-2017, 9:18 PM
Thanks Joe!!

Mark R Webster
02-04-2017, 9:20 PM
Looks good Glen

Mark R Webster
02-04-2017, 9:21 PM
thanks andy

Mark R Webster
02-04-2017, 9:22 PM
I am with you Bob I like octagonal handles :)

Jim Belair
02-04-2017, 9:25 PM
Not Tite-mark but I filed a flat on the head of my Veritas marking gauge to solve the rolling problem.

Derek Cohen
02-04-2017, 9:25 PM
Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have come up with a good solution for preventing your smaller chisels, Tite-Mark marking guage or other tools with round handles from rolling off your benches.........
Thanks
Mark

Epoxy :)

More seriously, school yourself to keep your bench as clear as possible - which means that you get used to putting tools away in their resting place .... hammers on the wall, planes in their niche, and chisels on a rest or rack (incidentally, a TM does not roll as the adjusting screws prevent this).

I have rests within reach - racks on the wall, handy dog holes, and a tool tray attached to the wall behind my bench ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/TooltrayWithaDifference_html_m74f6cf70.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Stanley Covington
02-04-2017, 9:35 PM
I have a 2x4 that has a series of v notches along the broad side. I hold fast this to the bench, and then rest my gauge, squares, chisels, mallet, and knife, even my saw, during a dovetailing session.

Prashun's idea is similar to mine, but instead of v notches, I cut flat-bottomed notches of various widths that are sloped to one side. Very useful anywhere on the bench, especially when using carving chisels.

STan

Mark R Webster
02-04-2017, 9:44 PM
Kind of where I was heading thanks:)

Bill Houghton
02-04-2017, 11:08 PM
Really easy. . .put enough other stuff on your workbench that you can't work on it.

Or plane your workbench so the top is a long trough, instead of flat. Then everything will roll to the middle, like a mattress in a cheap motel.

Mark R Webster
02-05-2017, 12:29 AM
looks good to me!

Reinis Kanders
02-05-2017, 12:46 AM
Magnetic strip is handy for screwdrivers and other random stuff. I have a bunch all over the place. Keeping workbench clean helps the most.
I also made a lot of shallow 11.5x7x1.5 inch wooden trays and I use them to keep smaller every day items such as marking gauges, pencils, knives, etc. I keep two trays on a bench and I like it better than a tool well. I actually take trays with me to my other workbench that has a well. 11.5 inch size works well for most of my chisels.

Kees Heiden
02-05-2017, 2:42 AM
I vote for loading your bench full of crap so they don't have room for rolling. I can't remember a falling chisel or screwdriver.

Pat Barry
02-05-2017, 7:19 AM
I vote for loading your bench full of crap so they don't have room for rolling. I can't remember a falling chisel or screwdriver.

This works for me

Jim Ritter
02-05-2017, 10:22 AM
I've had tools roll off the bench, mostly because it was wobbly so when I built a bench I put in a tool well. I still battle clutter so I built this. It hangs on the back rail of the tool well and the sides are long enough to be able to lift it off the bench and stand upright.

Sorry, I can't seem to post a photo. Did the protocol change? I used the img link from Photobucket.

Jim

steven c newman
02-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Chisels and such that are not being used at the moment..
Nothing real fancy..
Just a wood box, with holes and slots
Rack WAS built to hold squares, now holds other tool shaped objects...
Chisels are are in use, will reside in the nearest dog hole within reach, as the tool well is usually too full of other....stuff.

Bruce Mack
02-05-2017, 11:15 AM
It's going to happen, whatever you do. I got an anti-fatigue floor mat (2' x 5') and put it in front of the bench. It has saved a few edge tools.

David Eisenhauer
02-05-2017, 12:26 PM
My power tool shop setup included anti-fatigue mats along the front face of all benches and main machines and served well as dropped-tool savers. However, the first thing I found when moving to a more hand tool orientation is that the anti-fatigue mat and hand planning hard material do not mix. My mats slide across my concrete floors, so the number of mats I use and their location had to be adjusted.

andy bessette
02-05-2017, 12:46 PM
I have found that the Harbor Freight mats (which must be about 22' x 84") do not slide at all, on bare concrete, unless completely flooded with water. They are not especially resistant to being cut, but are appropriate to the kind of use we are apt to subject them to. And they're cheap. :) I have several in my shop and will replace them with identical mats whenever these get too funky. Epoxy drips tend to stick well, so must be cleaned up immediately.

Mark R Webster
02-05-2017, 1:21 PM
Some great suggestions guys thanks!!

bridger berdel
02-05-2017, 5:35 PM
Or plane your workbench so the top is a long trough, instead of flat. Then everything will roll to the middle, like a mattress in a cheap motel.

Better yet, prop one end of the bench up by 6" or so. At the other end place your shop trash bin. Make a practice of never looking in the bin when emptying it. Sooner or later you will find that you no longer have any tools that tend to roll off of the bench.

Tim Cooper Louisiana
02-05-2017, 6:30 PM

Liar! No one can draw that well.

Chris Hachet
02-15-2017, 7:26 AM
An outcome of this discussion should be an appreciation of why some earlier bench designs included a tool well.

I actually do not mind a tool well on a bench,

Chris Hachet
02-15-2017, 7:28 AM
Epoxy :)

More seriously, school yourself to keep your bench as clear as possible - which means that you get used to putting tools away in their resting place .... hammers on the wall, planes in their niche, and chisels on a rest or rack (incidentally, a TM does not roll as the adjusting screws prevent this).

I have rests within reach - racks on the wall, handy dog holes, and a tool tray attached to the wall behind my bench ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/TooltrayWithaDifference_html_m74f6cf70.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

I find behind the bench storage like this incredibly useful. I use a secondary bench for some joinery tasks and also have a bench that serves as an outfeed table for the table saw. Putting things away means I can find them quickly if I am doing a task elsewhere in the shop.

Chris Hachet
02-15-2017, 7:29 AM
Some great suggestions guys thanks!!

You are very welcome, thanks for being here and contributing to our forum.

Chris Hachet
02-15-2017, 7:30 AM
Chisels and such that are not being used at the moment..
Nothing real fancy..
Just a wood box, with holes and slots
Rack WAS built to hold squares, now holds other tool shaped objects...
Chisels are are in use, will reside in the nearest dog hole within reach, as the tool well is usually too full of other....stuff.Looking good and nicely organized sir.

Chris Hachet
02-15-2017, 7:31 AM
My power tool shop setup included anti-fatigue mats along the front face of all benches and main machines and served well as dropped-tool savers. However, the first thing I found when moving to a more hand tool orientation is that the anti-fatigue mat and hand planning hard material do not mix. My mats slide across my concrete floors, so the number of mats I use and their location had to be adjusted.

I found wearing more comfortable shoes worked much better than anti fatigue mats.,

Don Orr
02-15-2017, 10:07 AM
Maybe not bench related but similar function. At my lathe I have a rag or towel on the ways where I rest tools not in use and they don't roll off. Would probably work on a bench as well. Very adjustable also.

Tom Vanzant
02-15-2017, 10:44 AM
I found wearing more comfortable shoes worked much better than anti fatigue mats.,
I sometimes use a stool with casters, and that doesn't work with anti-fatigue mats.
I filed a flat on the fence of my Woodcraft/Rockler wheel marking gauge to prevent rolling.