PDA

View Full Version : Cutting steel with oxygen as an assist gas (Kern users)

Jay Selway
02-04-2017, 8:51 AM
Hey fellow Kern users. I have a 400 watt HSE and have been cutting a ton of hot roll steel. We started out using regular compressed o2 tanks for our assist gas, but after blowing through those in no time, upgraded to liquid o2. Now the problem is that the kern is drawing too much o2, so fast that the liquid tank can't vaporize fast enough and freezes up on us. Any recommendations for o2 set ups??

Thanks!

Dave Sheldrake
02-04-2017, 10:42 AM
You running single O2 or cartridge banks Jay?

Adam Herman
02-04-2017, 11:36 AM
When its very cold, welders in the oil industry have warped battery heating blankets around their tanks. just a thought. I don't actually have any experience with laser cutting.

Scott Marquez
02-04-2017, 11:48 AM
I'm an outside salesperson for a welding supplier in the Pacific Northwest.
What is your cutting pressure and CFM?
There are a few things to look at, one is that you have the proper regulator for this application, not a standard high pressure cylinder regulator. They make tank mounted vaporizers, which I have rented to customers on large construction jobs as well as the wine industry. For multi torch cutting applications I have tied together 3 dewars tanks at a time to maintain enough pressure and flow.
The above mentioned is in regards to your freezing up issue with an O2 dewar, you might be using the wrong system altogether, there is also a Laser Pack which is a gas delivery system designed specifically for metal cutting lasers. I am not familiar with Kern lasers and how similar they are to normal metal cutting lasers.
If you are unfamiliar with what I have mentioned, you might need to get your local Rep more involved.
Scott

Jay Selway
02-07-2017, 10:32 AM
I'm an outside salesperson for a welding supplier in the Pacific Northwest.
What is your cutting pressure and CFM?
There are a few things to look at, one is that you have the proper regulator for this application, not a standard high pressure cylinder regulator. They make tank mounted vaporizers, which I have rented to customers on large construction jobs as well as the wine industry. For multi torch cutting applications I have tied together 3 dewars tanks at a time to maintain enough pressure and flow.
The above mentioned is in regards to your freezing up issue with an O2 dewar, you might be using the wrong system altogether, there is also a Laser Pack which is a gas delivery system designed specifically for metal cutting lasers. I am not familiar with Kern lasers and how similar they are to normal metal cutting lasers.
If you are unfamiliar with what I have mentioned, you might need to get your local Rep more involved.
Scott

I'm not sure how to check these things. I'm running a liquid o2 tank with a harris regulator (model 330/125). My o2 supplier has not been helpful. Can you recommend a supplier in the mid atlantic or have a few minutes to chat by phone? Feel free to email me jay @ jumbieindustries dot com

Jay Selway
02-07-2017, 10:38 AM
You running single O2 or cartridge banks Jay?

Not sure what cartridge banks are, so can't answer your question.

Scott Marquez
02-07-2017, 2:22 PM
Jay,
The good news is that you are using the correct regulator for that tank.
I don't have any East coast contacts, so I won't be able to help there.
I would suggest calling Kern and asking them to get your spec sheets on your machine set-up for pressure and flows. With that info in hand your gas supplier will be able to help you more.
Providing that you have your machine set up correctly you can run a test using your standard high pressure tanks, look at your packing list for the amount of gas in that tank, 249 -280 SCF in some of the more common tanks. Using a stop watch you can determine how long it takes to use that amount of oxygen.
Scott