PDA

View Full Version : Multi tasking a spare Lathe

bob starkey
02-04-2017, 6:56 AM
The spare lathe you have in your shop can be used for several things. I use the spare for a buffing station and now a belt sander too.
Two blocks of wood and a love-joy spider set up makes a powerful vs belt sander

David Delo
02-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Nice set-up and use Bob. I use the same concept but different power plants. Strip. belt & drum on 1 set-up with bandsaw and disk sanding & back-up lathe if ever needed on the other. Only downside right now is these motors aren't reversible. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to upgrading that option.

John K Jordan
02-04-2017, 9:17 PM
I'm also one who finds a second lathe valuable. I do use it with buffing wheels. I often turn morse tapers to hold thin spindles, forming them between centers. To test the taper it is quicker to step over to the second lathe than remove the drive center from the first.

Another good use is to turn a small plug or jam chuck or other temporary part without removing the piece or chuck from the first lathe. A second lathe is nice if the first has a problem - that happened to me once when a VFD quit.

It is nice if both lathes have the same spindle threads and tool rest post diameter.

A second lathe can let you continue to turn while using the tailstock of the other as a press for gluing a waste block.

But my favorite reason is when someone comes and we can both play! Or if more than one friend wants a lesson at the same time. I did find that 5 lathes in the shop at once 3 too many. Two is perfect!